Bobbi Brown Book - Bobbi Brown Beauty: The Ultimate Beauty Resource

Bobbi Brown Book - Bobbi Brown Beauty: The Ultimate Beauty Resource

3.3

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I agree with many other reviewers who say that this book is boring and she condescendingly pushes her opinions on to others. Considering this is a beginner's book, I found that the techniques were worded in a confusing way and set a lot if restrictions for what you "can" and "can't" do. (I thought makeup was supposed to be a creative outlet.) The only useful tips she mentioned were common sense knowledge. Everything she said "not" to do because it was "dated" has now become commonplace. This book just had a largely negative and condescending tone to it, I'm happy I only paid a dollar for it at Goodwill!

on 8/27/2017 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

The first makeup manual I purchased so many years ago. Bobbi, through her books and videos, taught me how to love my own features and how to make the most of them with natural makeup, and I've never looked back. Sure, there are times when I experiment with a more dramatic look, but my day-to-day look is definitely Bobbi. I have all of her books. In fact, when I was in college, I would hold "make-up night" with my friends to teach them the Bobbi way of doing makeup: sheer, natural colors and coverage that make the best of YOU. No contouring or strobing was allowed (and still isn't)!

I was saddened when I learned that she left her namesake company, and I suspect that it was over creative differences with her parent company, Estee Lauder. I was also perturbed by the negative reviews this book has received. If you want to look like a Kartrashian (and who knows what these girls really look like, with all the contouring, strobing, and lip lining they do), then don't buy a Bobbi Brown book!! Everyone knows that she is a proponent of natural beauty and not artifice. After all, what's wrong with embracing who you are? My lips are thinner than I would like, but I've got naturally full brows and great cheekbones, so that's what I emphasize.

Bobbi, for whatever is next for you, I wish you luck. And thank you!

I agree with priya2006. After reading this I felt like throwing some yellow powder right at BB. For ages I bought into the 'yellow undertones for everyone' philosophy. I now realize that it was making me look jaundiced! No, Bobbi, I do NOT look good with yellow powder sitting on my NW20 skin. Believe me, when someone really does have cool undertones, putting on yellow toned foundation just looks fake and awful. You know when you see a woman out with a really obvious fake tan? That is how yellow foundation looks on cool toned skin. Cool skin is not that rare even, maybe by worldwide standards, but it's common for British or Scandinavian women.

I also can't understand who this book is targeted at. Her advice I can only see being really useful for a teenager using makeup for the first time, but she writes like it's for someone much older?

on 8/2/2008 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really hated this book. Okay, let me rant by saying I got the impression from BB that she is the only MA who's opinion mattered and what she said had to go. I felt like she was pushing her thoughts and own biases in this book without giving ANY techniques, tips, or actual advice on MU OR beauty. I'm sorry to say BB but not EVERYONE thinks you're the best MU artist in the world, and guess what? Some people might want advice on contouring no matter what you say, and guess what else? Some people might WANT to make their lips look bigger regardless of your thoughts that you shouldn't. BB needs to get over the fact that some women will never like their flaws and instead of saying they should "embrace them", just give us the damn advice on how to fix them! That's what should be in a book about MU. Advice on how to use it, not why you shouldn't. This was a very bad marketing tatic on BB's behalf ....

on 7/5/2008 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Having never used makeup myself before college (the strong smell of a lot of my mother's stuff turned me off as a child) I found this book a really good general introduction to beauty in that it presented an encouraging philosophy of appreciating yourself. That said, in terms of hand-holding instructions, which I was looking for, it had none and I've since ordered other books that reviewers have said are more thorough with technique.

Still, I would definitely recommend it as one of a girl's first books on beauty. I liked that it advocated a pretty modest and natural look first and then encourages building up to more ambitious and stylish looks once you're comfortable with the basics.

on 11/2/2009 12:27:00 PM

although i did enjoy reading this book. i felt it didnt really deserve to be called a make up book as she rarely gave techniques on how to apply the right make up but rather just preached about whats wrong and advice on make up. she needs to learn that what she doesnt like other people do. i for one love blue eyeliner and to say it doesnt suit anyone is rubbish. a good read, but left me with nothing new at the end.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Great book for practical advice. Bobbi Brown's work is inspirational. I also love how she shows a variety of people in her book - from teenagers to mature women and addresses the issue of ethnicity.

I said I would buy this again even though I won't have to. So many people just look at the buy again column and make their decisions to try a product based on those percentages. Anyway this book is very informative and helpful. It answers so many questions and is great for a novice or experiened beauty lover looking to try a different look.

on 4/15/2007 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

First of all I didn't but the book, got it on loan from the library. Anyways BB should add another B for "BORING".
Sure I agree that she gives you good basic tips on beauty [that made go duh and so nothing new there] and natural looks [which I mean come on, how complicated is that]. She seems very centred on her own self and tastes and seeks to impose it on others and I feel she's trying to really overcompensate for what she considers to be her own beauty weakness [like the thing about how droopy eyes can be great bedroom looks]. I also don't agree with the yellow powder is my freaking God for all absolutely all skins of the world. Once again... not enough variety, very close minded. I mean I'm indian and have a really hard time seeing yellow powder doing anything for a redhead with true porcelain skin.
Plus she preaches about how yellow powder is so great for us coloured people and so I guess that was it and covered it all for us since there was nothing else more about makeup for coloured skin other than a few pics of gorgeous ethnic models.
On a side note it annoys me how makeup artists like Nars and BB start their own line with neutral packaging reminiscent of MAC and then BB sells out to some generic department brand[EL] and you wonder where's the uniqueness/creativity quotient.. they don't make any more like Kevyn Aucoin anymore who came up with some crazy creations, God bless his soul[sigh]

Aesthetically, I like this book, I like some of the photos and I like the clear layout.

When it comes to the actual information though it seems dated - Bobbi is so preachy - yes, everyone knows you should eat veg and drink your water but it doesnt always work out that way. And even worse is the rules she imposes - like blue eyeliner can NEVER be recommended for ANYONE. What a load of rubbish! She also tends to recommended total avoidance of certain colours, and techniques - or if you are buying make up more than once a week, you need help and go for a run instead of buying a lipstick!

Without beauty junkies, where would MUA be?!