Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

3.9

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (1.2%) Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane. ---------------------------------------------------- COMPARISON: SmashBox Photo Finish Primer ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

on 8/29/2017 3:26:00 AM

Is it me or did the reviews for this product go down?? I love this primer, it helps immensely with my pores around my nose and under-eye area. Literally nothing bad to say about it besides it's an excellent dupe for most up-scale primers and it never breaks me out (knock on wood). I have combo skin with a really oily forehead and it helps keep the oil at bay.

on 4/29/2017 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I found Catdarling's review below very informative. NurseMiel's review also had some great tips for application. I tried this years ago as a substitute for silicone primer. I found it worked well but thought it might be too heavy. I now realize that I was probably using too much. I stopped mainly because I branched out into other mediums: moisture spray as primer; lotion type tacky feel primers etc. etc.

When I read about the Wayne Goss method primer, then powder, then foundation on top (sometimes mixing in a drop of primer into your foundation; then powder over that), I thought to try the method with the various primers I owned. I tried the monostat using the WG method and it worked well to lock in the foundation and reduce cake. So I recommend it for anyone who likes a silicone primer. I will also use the monostat with thicker concealer so they have more spread (so basically a tiny drop as a mixing agent).

I also use this method with other sunscreens and moisturizers, though the texture of the monostat gives a smoother surface. Currently I apply a minimal - a tiny dab of moisturizer with primer properties (I have been using curel hydra therapy because I got a large free two oz sample) on my face and then minimal amount of powder; then half the small amount of foundation/concealer (cinema secrets palette #3 for my NC 30-35 olive skin) mixed with a drop of the medium. Then powder over. This sounds like a lot of makeup, but because you basically only have a few drops on your face and you buff off excess, it provides coverage and sets without being cakey. The mixtures apply best when buffed out with my Sigma angled Kabuki or ELf small stippling brush, not a sponge.

A drop of this plus a bit of lipstick that is a mistaken MLBB but too light can be applied like a cream blush (the resulting effect is like a matte multiple stick look)

I have not used monostat for chafing as I don't run. I have used it in a pinch when I cannot find band aid blister block and it works reasonably well in that function also.

I cannot reiterate my suggestion to apply VERY sparingly if you want your makeup to stay in place.

on 2/8/2017 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Works perfectly as a primer: smooths lines, helps to soften pores, lessens scaly patches, foundation applies easily, but doesn't slide off.

As a chafing gel: works perfectly, especially useful applied to feet to prevent chafing from shoes.

Acts as a frizzy hair tamer: rub a very small amount between hands and rub on dry or damp hair.

Under $10 at Walmart or Target.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This has been absolutely ineffective as an oil controlling primer for me.

on 9/27/2016 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is not only great face primer but works really well you to keep your feet dry when wearing closed shoes and no stockings/socks. My husband even uses it in summer when he wears top spiders or loafers and no socks. Helps avoid blisters too.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

The Monistat Gel is slippery and powdery soft, so when you put it on, your face will feel incredibly smooth and not tacky at all. This is different from other silicone-based primers I've used, which have been smoothing but also a bit tacky. I can't quite decide how well my makeup sticks on to this compared to a stickier primer. If you're particularly oily, this primer doesn't help much to prevent oil, and it can move around as you get oily. It is more of a smoothing primer that gives a good finish rather than a long-lasting or oil-proof primer.

Personally, I don't like silicone all that much compared to a hydrating, water-based primer, so I would not repurchase or use this often as a face primer. It does work very well for me, but it's not my preferred finish or feel for a primer. However, if you like a silky-smooth and non-tacky silicone primer, this is definitely for you. It's cheap, but it gives you the same finish a high end silicone primer might.

One way to use this that worked well for me is to DIY a BB cream. I use it this way almost every time I reach for this product, although that isn't often. Basically, I mix in an SPF, something with color (like concentrated foundation or a lighter concealer), a moisturizer, and this gel together and apply it to my face. I usually like using Trader Joe's Enrich face lotion, some Becca luminizer, whatever foundation I'm feeling, and I'll add SPF drops if it's particularly sunny. The important thing is to make sure all of the products you use are silicone-based products instead of water-based, otherwise the ingredients won't mix together well.

Aside from using this for my face, this is good for chafing and rubbing in the summers. I use this if my shoes or clothes are really irritating at my skin, or if any part of my body is chafing. Works well for inner thighs, too, if they happen to rub together a lot.

on 7/16/2016 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Who would have thought that I could find my HG Face Primer in the feminine care isle of my local drugstore. This product is awesome. It goes on like a gel and feels powdery soft when it dries. Monistat Gel does not have a fragrance, so it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. Its helps my foundation go on flawlessly and it lasts all day. The product also control my oily skin where i don't have to blot as often. I got this for a great price. I think I paid around $7 in my local CVS. If you are looking for a great primer, try this one. You won't be sorry.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have purchased this many times over the years. I keep one at home and one in my purse in the summer. It's great for those terribly humid days as an anti-chafing gel in the inner thighs (sorry for TMI!). It's also great as a face/neck primer. It goes on super sooth and sheer. It does help makeup to stay all day long and go on smoothly. It's available at every drugstore and is really a great dupe for Urban Decay Primer Potion - but for a much better value.

on 9/24/2016 8:37:00 AM

My face is as greasy as ever. But when used for chafing, it's awesome. Still looking for anything that will keep the oil in check.

on 7/7/2016 4:29:00 AM

I bought this because I heard it was a pretty good dupe for the Smashbox Photo primer. I have been using the Nivea men's sensitive after shave balm, which is a great primer but I really like how silicone primers make my makeup glide on so I thought, why not mix them. Then I'd get the staying power of the Nivea and the smoothness of the silicone. Let me tell you, it worked beautifully! My makeup went on super smooth AND stayed on all day! It's crazy inexpensive, I got mine from Target for 4 bucks (funnily I got the Nivea there too for the very same, 4 bucks) so that's 2 big bottles/tubes that will last me forever for all of $8 and they work! And in case you're wondering, I mix approximately equal amounts of each.

Popular Primer/ Correctors