MAC Eye Shadow

mac eyeshadowMAC Illegal Cargo

4.3

on 9/30/2017 5:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I never really paid attention to MAC eyeshadows until they reduced their eyeshadow pans to $6 usd each, I decided to try out a few of their neutrals. Surpsrisingly , I've been really enjoying the few I've tried and reach for them often considering I own a ton of eyeshadows. I have a warm golden NC42 skin tone and the ones I use the most are:

Woodwinked- a light gold-brown that is so versatile and wearable. This works well on its own as a wash of color
Amber Lights - an orangey copper that's perfect for warm looks, suits me so well
Soft Brown - a great transition shade when I want less of a warm eyeshadow look
Swiss Chocolate - This one is perfect for creating depth in the crease/outer v, without going too dark
Bronze - A bronze with a neutral tone, it doesn' t lean red like alot of these shades tend to. Another one that works well alone for a wash of color.

Others I bought were Texture, Antiqued, Saddle and Ricepaper . These are good but I don't use them often because I have a lot of dupes for these across other brands.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have probably 100+ of these (no joking, I've got like 5 X9 palettes & 4 X15 palettes along w other palettes/a bin of singles), they are my fave eyeshadows. I love Gesso the best, my other faves are naked lunch, satin taupe, wood winked; I don't know all of the names inside the palettes. My lids are oily & these don't crease nor slide around. So many colors! #winning

on 1/30/2017 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

MAC has a gazillion colors and finishes - some are great and others not so much - not only from a color/shade perspective but how densely pigmented they are. You must try before you buy!

on 6/26/2015 5:48:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This review is for the general eye shadow formulas and the pro refill pan packaging:

Background: Long term makeup junkie, large HE eye shadow collection. I've never been a die hard MAC fan, but I do enjoy the use of several of their products. However, MAC is just one of the many retailers and brands that I use, I don't find it any more desirable than anything else. I use what I think is good. That being said, because of personal preferences, I've never owned their eye shadows, but I'd been eyeing up a few staple colors just to see what the fuss was about. At 10 USD per pro refill pan, I restrained myself since I have a respectable collection anyway. They just had a $10 off $50 sale online though, and I figured it was time.

I purchased: Kid, Soft Brown, Haux, Brown Script and Embark

I'm very pleased with all of them formula wise. I think they are definitely good quality. All the good things people say is true in my opinion. I'm not going to go into detail since everyone has heard it all before...However...

I just HAVE to say, I was really, really disappointed in the pan and magnet combo. Truly, I was shocked. I love pan style shadow that I can stick in my Z pallets. It's my preferred method for shadow, blush, contour, everything powder. Inglot, MUFE, ABH, MUG and even Coastal Scents use metal pans that work like a dream with any magnetic pallet. The MAC eye shadows come in an aluminium, cheap looking pan with a low quality magnet glued to the bottom. I was less than impressed for the price. Although they do "stick" to my Z pallet, they do not feel secure and move around when I use them. I find it ridiculous, if you don't mind my ranting.

Do I think the quality of the eye shadow makes it worth purchasing despite the pan...Not necessarily. I'm going to purchase 4 more to fill up a small Z pallet just because I'm anal like that, and I will most definitely use them. But, no, after that, I don't think the quality is so fantastic that I need to start a full blown MAC shadow collection. The formula quality is no better than other comparable shadows. I gave 4 lippies because I simply can't fault the shadow itself, it's still good. But, I had to take off at least one because of what a disappointment the packaging was. I just can't justify the price when $1 Coastal Scents shadow offers better quality packaging than MAC. Really MAC, do your product some justice.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I like Mac eyeshadow because of the wide variety of colors. I have a difficult time finding eyeshadow colors that do my green/hazel eyes justice. I also have a hard time finding a decent variety of matte colors in most brands. I have a ton of shimmery eye shadows but I feel like at my age I really don't need to be so shimmery al the time. I like a nice matte color and maybe just a little shimmer to the highlight color. Mac has several matte shades that work for me. I like that their refill pans are only $6 and have about the same amount in them as the ones that cost $16. Most of the colors seem to blend well. A few take some layering while others are very pigmented. Overall I'd say their very good quality. I've been using them since the 90's. I'm a little mad about them discontinuing brown script though.

on 1/30/2017 12:37:00 PM

Their product is fine, it's their marketing I hate. When I first started using MAC it was sold to me as an Eco friendly and cruelty free brand. Then without any advertisements they were acquired by another company and their morals went with it. I am angry I have been using products tested on animals for years under a false pretence.

on 1/17/2015 1:50:00 PM

I have been a makeup junkie for 35 years. I recently discovered these shadows and I absolutely love them! I always use a primer, a transition color (Soft Brown) in my crease and then whatever color I am in the mood for, on my lid. My newest addition to my collection is Coppering. They are fun and easy to work with. They are creamy and blend wonderfully! Beautiful shadows!

on 4/12/2013 12:56:00 AM

I really don't find these single eye shadow pots are as "out standing" as others saying.

I don't know it's the brushes I used to apply MAC eye shadows, or I just always ended up getting the wrong shades, none of the eye shadows I bought from MAC works for me. The texture is kind of hard that I always struggle to get enough product on my brushes or on my finger tip. The matte shade eye shadow some how always become shinning and hard on the top, which is even more difficult to use. MAC offers a great selection of eye shadow colors, so I believe that every one can find the right shades. However, I find it wasting of money to continuously searching and trying. $20 for each shade, and so far I had no luck of finding even one shade that I like or easy to work with.

Although I really like the idea of the small eyeshadow pots, I just ran out my patience to deal with it. My partner actually likes my makeup better when I spend less time on using a simple eye shadow palette, and whenever I spent a long time on working and blending all those MAC colors on my eyes he would feel that I wear too much makeup (even I don't use dark colors), so to me it's just not worth the time and the money. I'm finally ready to give away all my MAC eye shadows (yes lucky for my friends).

I would say if you are not good with makeup, don't own a big collection of really good eye shadow brushes, and not into spending too much time and a lot of money on makeup, MAC eyeshadow is definitely some thing you don't want to deal with.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love mac shadow their my favs of all time. Their s hardly any fall out and I have oily eyelids and they stay put all day with no creasing and they look even better with a primer underneath their so many amazing gorgeous colours . I love all mac packaging the black sparkly pots of colours and the clear lid to see the product. I think £12 for a pot is a bit much but I love the shadows too much too resist. They are the best so I treat my self every now and then to a new shadow. I would so recommend to a friend and already have getting my friends hucked on mac products, their just amazing, my fav eye shadows of all time

kay, it really depends on the color. I have an ice pink that is the perfect shadow. it goes on perfectly, and wears all day.
But I have a deep plum that is useless.

Mac has a great recycling program, but animal tests. I would buy more if they got with the times. Also I gave packaging a low grade because my eyeshadow pots always lose their glass tops!

continued >>