L'Oreal Paris Telescopic Mascara - Carbon Black

L'Oreal Paris Telescopic Mascara - Carbon Black

3.9

on 10/1/2008 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for that if you like), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!

on 10/1/2008 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

(this review is for the Carbon Black version)
stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for it), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i slightly prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!

on 8/14/2015 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I would cry if they discontinued this which I feel like they are because they only have a row of them at any drugstore you go to versus two rows.. this usually means they're slowly going to pull it..... NO LOREAL DONT DO IT JUST DONT.

This mascara gives me LIFE. In other words, Long lashes galore. I get the "what mascara do you use", "are those your real eye lashes" on the daily. One time I was in the middle of saying something to one of my co-workers and she goes "I just can't look at you, you're eyelashes are so long".

Yes my friends, I think I've found my true one and only.

If you don't like really black mascara, don't buy this, you won't like it. If you also don't like the "im wearing mascara" look, don't buy this. If you don't want in your face lashes, don't buy this (but why you would even bother with mascara then is beyond me, but hey each to their own).

This mascara does not transfer, its wand is so long and skinny so you can get every single lash, I just love it. I would say this mascara is on the clumpier side (not clumpy but just thicker), you won't get "clean" lashes. This truly thickens your lashes and gives them length.

On a different note, every mascara works differently for everyone and you can't expect to have up to your eyebrows eyelashes if you don't have long lashes to start with. With that being said, I think this mascara is honestly the best at the drugstore and even competes with higher end mascaras. It honestly really does lengthen and give volume.

Also, don't be fooled into the shocking extensions telescopic, the carbon black gives way more length and I like the wand of the carbon black better. The shocking extensions mascara is very average compared to the carbon black one.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have been wearing makeup for almost 40 years (yikes!) and this is THE best drug store mascara I have. I LOVE it, and have been using it for about a year now. It does a great job of lengthening my lashes and separating them. The brush is thin enough to reach corners and hard to apply spots. It does not smudge or flake at all. I also do not have a problem with it clumping.
I have a lot of lashes and don't need much volume, just need length. If your looking for volume this does add a little, but is mainly a lengthening product that does what it it says.
I have a list I keep of all products I have tried, and how well they have worked. Out of the 52 mascaras I have tried, this one ranks in the top 3. And best of all, it is affordable! This works better than many mascaras I have tried that cost 3 times as much.
For anyone looking for length in a mascara I would highly recommend this.

on 9/7/2013 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So I notice that this has 400 some reviews and a 4.0 rating. I know I have tried this mascara before, but not the carbon black. But I buy it again, because, how could 400 people lead me astray? Well apparently we have different ideas on how we like a mascara to perform. I prefer CG Lash Blast Volume (orange tube) for crazy thick, long lashes. Telescopic Carbon Black gave me nothing but straggly, thin barely noticeable lashes. I don't understand. And the brush was so, so hard. I am glad this has worked for so many, but I am not one of them.

on 5/18/2013 6:38:00 PM

For more than 4 years I've used only Effet Faux Cils by YSL or Channel's Inimitable (mostly this one), thinking that things can't get better than this. Instead of replacing my Inimitable a week ago,I tried Telescopic instead. And realized what a fool I had been all this time.Telesopic is unimaginably better than faux cils/inimitable. And might I add-at a fair price. I've always felt guilty for spending more than 20 pounds on a mascara that lasts 3 weeks. I could buy a book or something more valuable. Anyway,I won't go into ethical considerations.
Bottom line is-Telescopic is amazing. L'Oreal has done a great job.

on 10/15/2017 4:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Wow, ok I have naturally long curly dark lashes. All mascara's seem to work the same on me and don't really affect my lashes or if they do it becomes super clumped together! Iv'e owned lots of mascara's. (Lancome hypnose, lancome big monsier, too faced better than sex, makeup forever, nars, maybelline, etc.....)

But one day I saw some girl in a store with literally perfect seperated lashes so I had to ask what she used. She told me only one coat of the telescopic. I thought she probably is just lucky and has real nice lashes, but I bought this out of sheer curiosity expecting it to be the same as all the other mascara's I tried. Nothing special.

BUT BOY WAS I WRONG. This shit literally seperated each one of my lashes, and gave them an extremely beautiful dolly falsified effect! I have never seen a mascara perform like this before. So if you want perfect fake dolly looking lashes (or natural with one coat) Seriously get this now!! The price is a steal too. Forever changed my lashes!! <3333 you won't ever pry this from my dead cold hands hehe

on 4/20/2016 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been wearing mascaras for a Very Long Time and I can honestly say that this is the WORST mascara I've ever used. The applicator is so weak and flimsy that it cannot be easily inserted back into the tube. It bends and wiggles like a worm. The product itself doesn't give any volume, only length, then clumps. So you end up with what looks like 5 long skinny lashes. Then the ends of the lashes start turning down. Hideous!

on 1/27/2016 7:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hands down one of the best mascara's I've ever used....have tried a lot of different ones including high end and drugstore. The wand is very skinny and small but gives amazing length and definition. Great product for sure!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been testing out new mascaras for the past month now and purchased this because of the rave reviews. I have not used any lengthening mascaras besides Maybelline Lash Stiletto..and that was at least 4 years ago. That mascara did nothing special for me and so I just kept buying random trusted volumizing mascaras. This one is different though. Anyways....when I pulled the wand from the tube I was in shock and thought to myself,"Oh god, I just wasted my money on this junk!" The wand is a frighteningly thin rubber comb, and not fluffy at all like mascara brushes we are used to. The upside is that it is surprisingly easy to work with. For the lack of bristles, I was expecting it to be covered and gunky with formula, but it was not. When applied, it went on smooth and actually separated all my lashes perfectly. It makes your eyes look gorgeous! It is very buildable if one or two coats are not enough for you. It does not clump up at all. I did not have to comb through it afterward with a lash/brow groomer like I do with most mascaras. I'm not sure if it would be a good mascara for those of you with short lashes... but if you have long lashes like me - YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS!!! It really does lengthen them.