L'Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black

L'Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black

on 10/1/2008 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for that if you like), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!

on 10/1/2008 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

(this review is for the Carbon Black version)
stunned! stunned is the only word i can come up with to describe my feelings on this mascara! i just bought it today and have only used it once (on naked, curled lashes), so my feelings could definitely change, but for now i absolutely ADORE it! and i don't usually like to review a mascara until i've used it for about a week, but i am so ecstatic about the results i got from Telescopic CB that i had to do it! first of all, not that it matters, but the packaging is adorable. the telescope-inspired shape is thinner than a regular mascara wand and i found it very easy and comfortable to use. the formula of this mascara is an anomaly to me; usually a wet formula zaps the curl right out of my lashes but this one, while being fairly wet, held them up so high it was almost like lash hairspray! and curl-holdability is probably the #1 most important aspect in a mascara to me. i take *a lot* of time to meticulously curl my lashes so they stand straight up and unless the mascara i'm using can help hold them, it gets tossed. i actually think that this is the best mascara i have EVER tried for holding a curl from my Shiseido lash curler! i actually keep running into the bathroom just to look at my lashes and how long, black, glossy and curled they are! but anyways, back to the formula. it is extraordinarily black, which i love, because i think when it comes to mascaras, the blacker the better. the only mascara i have ever seen that compares in color is DiorShow Blackout which is so wet and heavy that i can't believe anyone can use it! when it comes to application, this mascara is definitely NOT the kind you can just slap on and go. it takes time and effort to get the ideal results, but the final look is so stunning it's well worth it! if you are the type of person who likes to quickly brush on a coat of mascara and run out the door, i wouldn't recommend Telescopic for you, because this is the kind of mascara that takes some skill to apply. i firmly believe that for people with lashes like mine (medium length, medium thickness), a light touch is KEY. if i put a mascara brush/comb into the base of my lashline and then wiggle up and out, i deposit sooooo much mascara near the roots of my lashes that they immediately fall straight down and look like crap. what works for me, with every mascara and especially a formula like this, is to place the brush/comb near my roots and gently sweep straight up, and then repeat until i get the results i like. no wiggling or rotating necessary! if you have thick, long lashes then i'm sure wigging is a great technique, but for those of us not blessed with natural Bambi lashes, it does more harm than good imo. i've also found that using only one set of the teeth on this mascara comb to apply the mascara helps to prevent mascara-overload, although it's quite difficult to make sure you're only using one of the four sides of the comb, it makes a gigantic difference in the outcome. since the formula of Telescopic CB is fairly wet, it can fuse together a few lashes if you're rushing, but this can be quickly and easily solved with a clean spoolie or metal lash comb. i got no actual clumps whatsoever with this. it gave me medium volume (definitely NOT a high volume, super thick mascara), extreme length (longest my lashes have EVER looked!), and deep black, beautiful glossy color. i am in love! it seems too good to be true! i hope it's not one of those mascaras that works for the first 3 applications and then goes straight to sh*t! i will update with further feelings after using it for a week or so. **UPDATE** i am still loving this mascara, although i want to stress that it's a mascara you need to take your time with and learn how to apply so you can get the amazing results it can give! i also purchased the Clean Definition version of Telescopic, and it gives almost the same gorgeous results (slighty less length) that the regular version does while being much, much easier to use because the brush is slighty different. for those of you who don't want to take as much time to carefully apply a mascara, go for the Clean Definition, you'll adore it and it'll be easier. as for me, i'm glad i have both formulas because i ADORE them both! i actually love the beautiful, dramatic results i get from this mascara SO MUCH that i would gladly pay high-end, DiorShow/Faux Cils prices for it were it to suddenly become expensive. not kidding either, it's THAT good! try one of the versions of this mascara ASAP if you want long, curled, splayed out lashes that are dramatically dark and straight out of a mascara commercial! **UPDATE** so i switched the brushes today, taking the brush from Telescopic Clean Definition (you can read my review for it), washing it thoroughly to remove the mascara and then putting it into the tube of regular Carbon Black Telescopic, and the results were PERFECTION! just as i suspected, the only reason Telescopic CB is so hard to apply correctly is because the brush doesn't do enough lash separating and ends up applying too much product to the lashes and fusing them together. with the Clean Definition brush, which has finer, more abundant bristles, i got the PERFECT application without the stress of going super, super slowy and being crazily careful! now if i was someone just reading this review, i would probably avoid all this complicated mumbo jumbo and just buy the Telescopic Clean Definition in Very Black or Carbon Black (if they make it), but personally, i slightly prefer the formula of Telescopic Carbon Black over the formula of Clean Definition. if you're nuts like me, buy both and switch the brushes! HTHS! **UPDATE** 11/28/08 still using and LOVING this, i absolutely have not even touched another mascara since i switched the brushes around on this mascara, and that is unheard of for me! my everyday go-to mascara for long, fluttery, gorgeous lashes. a definite rebuy for me, my new HG!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Yowza!! It is not often I feel compelled to write a review but in this instance I do.Why?Because after reading numerous reviews and watching tutorials I felt like I had to try it and I am super glad that I did.I used to work for a high end retail cosmetic dept and had acess to pretty much any brand I wanted and I've tried them all..Cle de Peau,Chanel,YSL,GA and the list goes on.Up until now Lancome and Benefit They're Real were my two all time faves.Why did this change my mind? It is pretty much everything I want in a mascara...1.Huge lashes2.easy to apply3.(pardon the terminology)It doesn't gook up on the wand 4.Two coats and I was totally WOWED!! 5.Nice dark black and I have to mention Huge Lashes.Now it isn't super volumizing but it made my short but curly lashes(dare I say) like falsies!! MUA reviews are my favorite reviews because I feel like the crowd on here is honest and to the point.The only downside is it makes me want to try more and more products!! And to me that really isn't a downside!! Besides even the BF noticed!! Plus it made me smile and I think most of us could use a feelgood MU smile now and then!!!

on 8/14/2015 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I would cry if they discontinued this which I feel like they are because they only have a row of them at any drugstore you go to versus two rows.. this usually means they're slowly going to pull it..... NO LOREAL DONT DO IT JUST DONT.

This mascara gives me LIFE. In other words, Long lashes galore. I get the "what mascara do you use", "are those your real eye lashes" on the daily. One time I was in the middle of saying something to one of my co-workers and she goes "I just can't look at you, you're eyelashes are so long".

Yes my friends, I think I've found my true one and only.

If you don't like really black mascara, don't buy this, you won't like it. If you also don't like the "im wearing mascara" look, don't buy this. If you don't want in your face lashes, don't buy this (but why you would even bother with mascara then is beyond me, but hey each to their own).

This mascara does not transfer, its wand is so long and skinny so you can get every single lash, I just love it. I would say this mascara is on the clumpier side (not clumpy but just thicker), you won't get "clean" lashes. This truly thickens your lashes and gives them length.

On a different note, every mascara works differently for everyone and you can't expect to have up to your eyebrows eyelashes if you don't have long lashes to start with. With that being said, I think this mascara is honestly the best at the drugstore and even competes with higher end mascaras. It honestly really does lengthen and give volume.

Also, don't be fooled into the shocking extensions telescopic, the carbon black gives way more length and I like the wand of the carbon black better. The shocking extensions mascara is very average compared to the carbon black one.

on 10/2/2013 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

It's been awhile since i've written a review but i had to write one about this mascara. Before you buy, ask yourself: 1) do i have decent lash volume (# of lashes) but want more length, and 2) do i like thick, long, dramatic false lashes without the hassle of applying several coats or wearing falsies?

If you answered yes to the above, this is the mascara for you. I noticed that the people who did NOT like this mascara tend to go for mascaras that say "volume"...if you are a "volume" mascara user, your lashes will most likely clump together with this carbon black mascara and look spidery. This is better for short full lashes because it adds mainly LENGTH.

Bonus: it holds a curl, washes off easily with regular cleanser, doesn't flake, and a tube lasts forever! It kind of amazes me how much it coats onto my lashes but the tube never ends.

Oh one last tip: hold the wand tightly at the base of your lashes and blink into the wand. I find this is the easiest way to get length quickly without clumping your lashes together.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have been wearing makeup for almost 40 years (yikes!) and this is THE best drug store mascara I have. I LOVE it, and have been using it for about a year now. It does a great job of lengthening my lashes and separating them. The brush is thin enough to reach corners and hard to apply spots. It does not smudge or flake at all. I also do not have a problem with it clumping.
I have a lot of lashes and don't need much volume, just need length. If your looking for volume this does add a little, but is mainly a lengthening product that does what it it says.
I have a list I keep of all products I have tried, and how well they have worked. Out of the 52 mascaras I have tried, this one ranks in the top 3. And best of all, it is affordable! This works better than many mascaras I have tried that cost 3 times as much.
For anyone looking for length in a mascara I would highly recommend this.

on 1/2/2018 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I cannot understand the bad reviews that say this clumps. I don't know if they are getting old ones that are dried out or perhaps a different product but I've purchased probably at least 25 of these and never had one that clumped on me. NOT ONE! I don't find it wetter than many super high end mascaras and they all take a couple of minutes to dry, maybe more depending on how many coats you apply. I'll take a bit wet over a bit dry any day. This is.....Holy grail. I LOVE this mascara even though I do use others also, this is the my favorite for my bottom lashes. One coat will not give you tons of fullness, a decent amount of length but one coat will not give you huge falsie effect lashes, but you can easily go back in and do more coats and it doesn't clump. It doesn't flake, give me raccoon eyes, stays on all day and is easy to remove. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I always keep this on hand mainly for one reason. Bottom lashes. The thin, small wand is sheer perfection for lower lashes. I can easily get into the inner corner and each lash is perfectly separate. It dries fast but if you do a double coat on the top lashes, it can take a few minutes, so give it time to dry before using a setting spray or it will smear. Just let it dry. My one complaint is that I wish the wand was a bit stiffer because sometimes when I go to put it back in the tube and I miss the opening, it wants to bend. But that's really my fault, if I look carefully that doesn't happen but it's small so if I just try to go for it without looking really well I miss the opening more than I do with fat wands. If you like natural, wispy lashes perfectly separated, one coat of this and you are out the door. Add more coats if you want them thicker or use another for the top and this for the bottom lashes.

It is deep black, curls, separates, I can't think of one con to this mascara. I love it! Plus Walgreen's frequently has buy one get the other 50% off so I stock up. It's really good, if you haven't tried it, catch it on sale and try it. If for nothing else, for your bottom lashes.

Details:
L'Oréal's Telescopic Carbon Black Mascara features a patented no clump brush that applies the mascara precisely for long, perfectly defined lashes. Removes easily with soap and water. Ophthalmologist tested. Allergy tested. Suitable for those with sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers. Fragrance free.

Ingredients:
Aqua / Water / Eau, Paraffin, Cera Alba / Beeswax / Cire D'Abeille, Stearic Acid, Cera Carnauba / Carnauba Wax / Cire De Carnauba, Acacia Senegal / Acacia Senegal Gum, Palmitic Acid, Triethanolamine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Aminomethyl, Propanediol.

Price range is 7.99-9.99 or less if you can catch them on sale buy one get one 50% off

Amazing. My new HG mascara. I like very dramatic mascara that gives me long, full, black lashes. Sadly I was born with blonde, straight, invisible lashes. Without mascara you can't tell I have any. My old HG was the red lash stiletto, which no one ever tried so it was discontinued. I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen with this mascara. I'd cry! This stuff makes my eyelashes look fake in the best kind of way. They're also not crispy, flaky, or smudgey. I just bought it and I've already been complimented twice on my eyelashes! I will never buy anything else as long as they keep making this! In the picture, my right eye (left side of the pic) is the Telescopic Carbon Black, my left is Great Lash Tiny Little Lashes. Huge difference!

Full Size Image

on 9/7/2013 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So I notice that this has 400 some reviews and a 4.0 rating. I know I have tried this mascara before, but not the carbon black. But I buy it again, because, how could 400 people lead me astray? Well apparently we have different ideas on how we like a mascara to perform. I prefer CG Lash Blast Volume (orange tube) for crazy thick, long lashes. Telescopic Carbon Black gave me nothing but straggly, thin barely noticeable lashes. I don't understand. And the brush was so, so hard. I am glad this has worked for so many, but I am not one of them.

on 7/30/2013 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

HG. I like to layer my mascara and use this over Benefit's Yes They're Real mascara. I thought my lashes were long when using Benefit but this mascara brings my lashes to new heights. Pun intended. People are constantly asking me if I am wearing falsies. Love love love and cheap.