Sun-In - Highlighting Spray

Sun-In - Highlighting Spray

3.5

Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Lemon Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Hydroxyethyl Cetyldimonium Phosphate, Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate, Glycerin, Quaternium-80, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance, Benzoic Acid, Disodium EDTA.

on 12/10/2016 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I am a natural medium ashy blonde. Underneath areas of my hair tend to come in darker than the hair above my ears and parts of my hair grow in gray. My hair is a very light blonde now. When my roots grow in, the contrast between the bright light blonde and the ashy blonde look terrible. My hair grows slow so I only touch up my roots roughly every 2 months. I decided to try and see if sun in would help and how well it would help. My hair has been dyed for over 10 years now with the past 8 years being a lighter blonde shade that I touch up with bleach. My hair is very coarse, thick and curly. But it is also very healthy. My hair is just as soft now as it has ever been even with using the sun in. I used this for the first time in my hair just on my regrowth near the front and top of my hair. I showered and washed my hair and then sprayed this on my damp hair on the roots of my natural hair part and around the sides and front of my hair line. I did not use heat with this nor did I go in the sun. I let it air dry completely. The first time using it I noticed it did make a bit of a difference. The regrowth wasn't so ashy and gray looking and was a bright golden shade. I used it again about 3 more times over the next few weeks, still on damo hair and air drying each time with no sun or heat and my roots are a lighter blonde shade that look WAY better than my darker grayish roots. My roots blend into my light blonde color but are not as blonde as the bleached hair but it is exactly what I wanted as it looks more natural to me. Overall, I will continue to use this sparingly on my regrowth unless I start to notice any of the damage others have noticed. I'm going on 2 months of using this and my hair feels the same. I haven't had to touch up my roots yet because of using this. It does have damaging chemicals in it so eventually if I overuse it I will probably get some type of damage. If I do decide to bleach my roots I will discontinue using this a few weeks prior to make sure there's no chemical reaction with the bleach powder or developer!

At first, I LOVED this stuff. I read all the negative reviews and I couldn't understand why so many people had a bad experience with it.

Then....I figured out why.

I just wanted to lighten my roots a bit. I'm naturally blonde, but I was working indoors and didn't see the sun for months. My roots started getting dark, and I wanted to lighten them up without bleaching.

I spritzed a bit if this, blow dried for maybe 2 minutes on medium temp, and the results were immediate! I was in love. My hair looked so much more golden and the ashy tones disappeared.

I didn't apply it again for several days, and I noticed my hair continued to lighten even without going in the sun or blow-drying my hair. That bothered me a bit....

I used it a couple more times. It continued to lighten a bit, but over time my hair became brittle as hell. I couldn't even brush it! My ends turned to mush and would just break off. My hair was limp and dry and horrid looking. I have thick, healthy hair naturally so I was heartbroken. It started to take on a brassy yellow-orange tone. So much NO! I had to trim 4 inches of my hair off and deep condition every day, plus put a leave-in conditioner just to get it back to a manageable state! As you can imagine, I was livid.

Bottom line, this stuff appears to work amazing at first, but with just 3 or 4 applications over a long period of time, it completely ruined my hair. I wouldn't mess with it if I were you. This stuff never washes out and it will continue to ruin your hair long after you toss it out.

on 2/8/2016 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My hair: I have shortish, thick, plentiful, dark brown hair. The hair on the top and near the front of my head is thinner and lighter. I honestly have probably 10% blonde hairs, 20% black, 40% dark brown, 15% light brown, 15% plain brown. It's a mess. It's curly and thick. It's slap very healthy as I've never dyed it and rarely heat curl/flat iron it.

My experience: I use the yellow bottle one. First time without heat, it lightened just enough to be noticeable. Second time I went into the sun for almost and hour and it lightened better, nothing extreme. 3rd time was with a blow drier and it worked just about as much as without any heat.
I just want to bring out a very natural ombre type color on the lower half/top/and bangs of my hair. I'm going to use it more. My hair isn't orange yet but if it does turn orange I'll simply used purple shampoo. So far I really like it. It hasn't damaged it at all, just lightened about 1 shade (only where applied of course). Don't listen to these people that say it isn't for dark hair, but definitely do test on a sample of hair before doing it all.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

DONT USE SUN IN! At first, its very effective and appealing and it does what it sets out to do. However, if you make the same mistake as i did and over use it will thin out your hair drastically! i used to have medium thickness for hair, my hair is now so thin and this is three years after i stopped using the product. Worst mistake I've ever made when it comes to my hair!

on 12/15/2015 5:27:00 PM

I love sun in! My hair is a dark red color but compared to many people's brown hair my hair is very light. I never liked how dark my red hair was compared to other red heads. So i was in rite aid one day and i picked it up and bought it. It seemed like a good product. I bought it and tried it out with a blow dryer and it works like a charm. My hair went from dark red to a strawberry blonde. That was only the first time. Many people thought i died my hair. The second time was my last time because i was afraid i would go blonde. But its good to touch up my roots. If you don't want to go completely blonde than this isn't for you. It really works. Its crazy how great this product is.

on 12/10/2015 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was skeptical about this product because of the reviews saying it will make my hair very dry, etc.

Some background: My hairdresser/best friend passed away and at 47 I just decided to let my natural hair grow out. I did not have as much gray hair as I thought, nor was it as dark either. I have microscopically thin strands of hair and not a ton (maybe a 2" round ponytail) but for the most part it's the healthiest it's ever been. But now at 49, my hair is a dull, dishwater color with a couple streaks of gray in the front and a gray here and there throughout.

I've used this 3 or 4 times spraying mostly on the top portion of my head, combing thru and used a blowdryer. It is now a pretty reddish blonde (my hair has red undertones) and the grey has blended in. I had to spray more on the gray and used my Baby Bliss straighter on my bangs. My hair is still soft and I don't even use a conditioner most of the time.

I'm using this on thin, natural hair and maybe that makes a difference? I don't know, but I like how it's lightened it. I'm curious if I will have demarcation!? I'll update if that happens.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

The first time I dyed my hair at ten I used this. Iacame out auburn not blonde at all. Shocked. I let the blowdryer and the sunlight at park and beach for micee na tural sun in highlights my hair conditioned with the ingredients in the firmulal highlights though. Many complements. I did this in 6th grade. My ma helped me.

on 7/28/2015 5:14:00 PM

I have dark brown almost black hair and I have been using sun in for years with almost no hair nightmares! Every summer I spray my hair lightly with the product and results vary from a golden bronzy color to more of a reddish color. It can get brassy but that is only if too much product is being used. A few summers ago i sprayed too much and was left with a red orange color for a few months, but it eventually grew out/ faded into pretty highlights. sun in leaves my hair soft and moisturized. Do not listen to the people who swear against using this on dark brown hair, or those who say it damages it!

on 5/13/2015 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Personally, I love this product. From what I've gathered, this is probably because I'm naturally blonde. Since my roots come in darker during the winter, I love to use this during spring/summer to lighten my roots. I see a significant lighter color after one use! I can't afford to pay for salon highlights, so this is definitely an affordable way to touch up already blonde hair. It makes some already bright blonde strands almost platinum and keeps the depths of my hair since it's always been darker on the bottom layer. I would definitely recommend this product to other blondes, but those with darker hair should beware of possible brassiness or orange color. This product can be difficult to find-I always find it hidden within other hair products in drug stores.

on 2/18/2015 11:05:00 AM

I like this product, but it isn't for everyone.
As a child I had super light blonde hair that kept getting darker as I got older. I use this a few times every couple months to keep my hair bright and blonde.
it does turn my hair kind of brassy (nothing that can't be fixed), not a pure platinum blonde. so I use a toner and purple shampoo for blondes which helps.
this product doesnt smell too bad and I think it works better than the john frieda spray.
it works well for me and does its job. I've repurchased it numerous times and my hair is perfectly fine, but I use a lot of leave-in treatments and hair masks.
since my hair is already blonde I dont get streaks or blotches. if you hair is dark and you try this it might not blend as well. I do have to use it two or three times each session to get it to the desired color, but i can go two months between sessions.

if you have dark hair, do not buy this.
this product only does well for me because i have blonde hair to begin with. this brightens it up and makes it lighter.