Calvin Klein Obsession

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Calvin Klein Obsession

3.1

on 12/23/2016 11:29:00 PM

I got this in a set of ck minis. I smelled it and thought it smelled absolutely disgusting, but I also didn't care for the others much, but on my skin they smelled nice. This one, however, smelled worse on my skin and would not come off for the longest time even though I just put it a bit on my wrist and tried to wash it off. It's a VERY strong scent.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Oh my god! How did I not buy this sooner?

Went to Winners to find a bargain on a frag. Saw lots of cheap $20 celebrity frags. My man knows I like Calvin Klein, and he pointed out a 50 ML bottle of this for $29. I've read a lot about it on Fragrantica, and I love spicy orientals, so I went ahead and blind-bought it. Funny because I'm blind, so I guess I always blind-buy perfumes.
Anyway, brought it home and spritzed once on my neck. It's quite green in the opening, but after ten minutes it settles down to a beautiful spicy ambery, powdery vanilla. Definitely my cup of tea. Damn, I can't stop sniffing the air! This lasts forever too, and you don't need to apply much. This doesn't smell unisex to me either, actually it smells quite sensual and sexy. Great for fall/winter. Best of all, my man loves it! I'm only 26 so I wasn't around in the 80's, but I'll be rocking this in the 2000's! I understand why this has been around longer than I've been alive. It's a masterpiece in my opinion. If you love oriental, spicy perfumes with a personality, and if you're not afraid to be noticed, this one's for you.

on 3/12/2016 12:28:00 AM

This review is for the vintage (80s) Obsession EDC in the kidney shaped bottle as well as the new formulation. The vintage version is very soft but also very powerful. It's spicy, sweet and powdery. Very easy on the nose. It smells of sweet incense, perfume, and powder. A well-done and balanced masterpiece. I would only wear this at night. It is very mysterious and dark--too complicated and complex for day time wear. The body powder (with the gold rim) matches the perfume perfectly. The powder is a bit softer and just a smidgen more subdued, which I prefer.

The reformulation is horrible. They should have just discontinued it instead of remaking it into a total mess. It is recognizable but it's a screeching mess. The unbalanced notes run wild and never really settle. It is way too harsh to my nose. No way do I get that soft, powdery sweet alluring dark mystery with the current one. How sad.

on 8/2/2015 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I wore this in the mid to late 90's, and I understand it's been reformulated since then.

A sweet and spicy oriental. Excellent sillage and lasting power. It reminds me of the harsh, frigid winters in New England, snowdrifts and christmastime. The smell of fire smoke and spiced hot cider. It's a little sharp but very pleasing. People will know - it stands out. I wore this for years as a cold scent, but have since moved on to others. I find it a very affordable, quality fragrance and a good alternative to more expensive options. It's a lot like TF Noir Pour Femme, but Obsession has much better projection and lasts longer.

Overall I cannot stand Calvin Klein's packaging. The only bottle that I've seen in the last 25 years or so that stood out to me was the Euphoria bottle.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This stuff sends me into an immediate migraine. It's overbearingly strong. It's also far too spicy and dark for my liking.

I have never owned a vintage bottle but as far as the "new" formulation goes, I approve!! I applied this at 9am and it is now nearly 8pm and this has left a wonderful musky/vanilla/amber softness to my skin. I purchased this mini bottle for about $15 at Target I think, if you are looking for a scent that lasts all day, this is an incredible value and the tiny bottle should last you quite awhile since you really don't need more than a few drops.

Upon first spray, I get a sense of something woodsy,balmy and green, oakmoss perhaps? Honestly, it smells very similar to a man's aftershave, there is nothing ladylike/girlie about this scent. Then the civet and spices and amber kick in like WHOA. If you happened to over-spray you will regret it big time in about an hour. It gets very sweet but not bakery vanilla sweet...I can't really explain it. It's like a heavy amber honey syrup infused with exotic spices. Despite it's sweetness, I feel this is actually a unisex scent.

I have been wearing this to work and loving it. Not sure if I would wear it on a date though...on one hand, it is very sweet but it's also dirty/primal and very unisex, This is kind of like Tabu and Opium and some of the other vintage powerhouses that scream SEX...men either love it and will ravish you or they will say you "smell like their mom" or ask "where you with another man tonight?"

My skin/chemistry eats perfume, 99% of body sprays and light floral/aquatic scents are wasted on me. This stuff is a keeper in my book.

on 5/12/2012 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

A super hot fragrance - by that I mean it shares a similar top note which I also find present in Giorgio Red, Toujours Moi and Christian Dior's Farenheit for men - its a warm almost estinguished candle note which reminds me of when a match has just been lit then blown out - this sounds weird but I love this smell and it is very sexy. This is a warm, sultry fragrance which will wear the owner if it doesn't suit their chemistry. On me it is a warm spicy number with an almost dried ginger type quality - though not in the christmas/festive season type of spice as there is no cinnamon/clove on my skin which stops it smelling like dentistry or a christmas pudding. It has a slight burnt caramel undertone and the citrus is more of an oriental mandarin than lemon (I cannot wear citruses as a rule) and dries down to a warm powdery incense in the style of Avon Imari but more oomph. Yes this does smell a tad dated - like an 80s jacket you just pulled out of the closet but in a good way a very original and beautiful perfume.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I still have my original kidney-shaped edp splash bottle from 1986. I also just received a recent 15ml edp. There is a slight difference and I mean so slight, it's negligible. The new formulation is lacking that distinctive stale note in the original. I don't miss it. The current formulation is fabulous and worthy of love. I've been wearing Obsession for 26 years and I still love it. Applied with a light hand it is absolutely bewitching.

I've loved Obsession since it came out. I was in my early 20s and wore it back then. I've been married for 25 years and have worn loads of perfumes over the years, but this is the only one my husband loves and comments on.

on 5/1/2011 11:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Ick! I think my grandma would even say this is too much of an old lady perfume! Waaaaaay too musky, heavy, and set off my allergies like crazy. It just plain stinks!!!

Popular Fragrances