Calvin Klein Obsession

Filtered by hair type : Other
Calvin Klein Obsession

3.8

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

This smells like woody musky amber smothered in baby powder. It has a sweetness that overpowers the musky woody amber, its so well done, totally amazed that it smells so different to anything I have had the pleasure of smelling, but after a short while appreciating what it is, I had to wash it off as gets a bit too much weight for the nose

on 12/12/2014 5:43:00 PM

YUM. A divinely silky amber/tonka-based Oriental with a fascinatingly clean citrusy-green top. In the '80s, I would have called it a "sweet" perfume; however, next to today's candied florals, Obsession is surprisingly dry and refreshing! My longest-running fragrance love-- I've actually finished bottles of this over the years, and I'm notoriously diversified and fickle in my perfume choices.

Blatantly sexy, but it stays fairly close to the skin if you squirt judiciously. I go ahead and wear it to work, and everyone likes it. I'm a redhead and a social worker, and this fragrance suits me to a T: spicy, warm, inviting, strong but lovable. (BTW I do not get comparisons of Obsession to Opium or Youth-Dew! The latter two are way more spicy and heavy, with oppressive fecal notes, and I can't even try to wear them.)

This is one fragrance for which VINTAGE formulation is a must. The current iteration by Coty Prestige is recognizably Obsession, but thinner and lacking the indulgent, complex harmony of the original. It's like a Glade version of Obsession.

The best version is the original, by Calvin Klein Fragrances. This came in cologne and EDP, either in kidney-shaped splash bottles or in egg-shaped spray bottles with the sprayer built into the cap. A very close second is the Unilever version: spray bottles of EDP with a gold band around the cap. Avoid modern bottles with a plain, dark brown cap.

on 6/15/2013 11:12:00 PM

I had the original Obsession as a teenager in the 1980s. I can tell you that this version you get in Sephora these days is truly crap. There are no other words for it. The only time Obsession these days , smells remotely like the 5 star Obsession I knew is when smelling it on the sprayer and perhaps for a couple of seconds on skin. It then becomes a parody of itself. It smells like cheap ,horrible plastic crap. very bad. It's not worth the price. very disappointing.The original Obsession was a fantastic fragrance with depth and longevity and presence, character.

I know a woman that's been wearing this crap since the late 80's and everyone knows when she's been there. Her scent lingers in the air like an ominous plague. Being unfamiliar at the time with classic frags, I thought for years that it was Shalimar when one day she pulled this dirty bastard out of her purse and spritzed it....everywhere....UGH!!!!....cloves, leather, patchouli, musk and layers upon layers of Palmer's cocoa butter and viola - you have Obsession by Calvin Klein!
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that I'll never touch the stuff. It too violently reminds me of that woman and her insecure, forced aggression..(you know, the type of woman that WANTS to be a bitch but falls short because it's so blatantly obvious? Yeah, that type). Just the same, even if she hadn't forever tarnished this scent for me, I still wouldn't use it to freshen the litter box with. It's THAT bad!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This review is for vintage Obsession--before the CK brand was bought out (first by Unilever, then by Coty Prestige). I was lucky enough to get an ounce of the pure parfum at an estate sale, and to my delight the scent was still fresh and brought back a wave of great memories. It's smooth, vanillic, rounded, and intensely sexual, with marvelous cola-like tonka and cinnamon notes, and a citrus-bergamot opener that tempers the underlying sweetness. I find some similarities here with Shalimar, but Obsession relinquishes the strong vanilla in Shalimar to a cooler, spicier base reminiscent of Arabian attar oils (Jannat-al-Ferdous comes to mind in particular). It's definitely not a scent for wallflowers, and it will wear YOU unless judiciously applied, but there's a reason Obsession was a runaway hit 25 years ago and continues to be sold like hotcakes today. There's just no other oriental fragrance like it, and I find it delicious and extremely sexy.

If you love orientals, I highly encourage you to purchase older stock of Obsession (mini parfums and EDPs can be had on eBay) and give it a whirl. The current reformulation, available only in EDP and manufactured by Coty Prestige, is thin and sour by comparison and bears only surface resemblance to the masterpiece of the vintage version. (The new version comes in an egg-shaped bottle with brown plastic cap, whereas the older versions came in a wide, flat bottle and/or had a gold band around the cap.)

Obsession is a classic and classy sweet spicy oriental. It has monster sillage and must be used lightly. But if used lightly and properly, Obsession can be worn for almost any occasion. Dab lightly for work, daytime, church. A little heavier and you're ready for a night on the town. Apply quite heavily and you're likely to suffocate persons in your immediate vicinity.
The mandarin and bergamot combine with the jasmine in the top notes in a most intriguing way, giving off a little spicy mysterious aroma. Warm and inviting yet still cool and mysterious. The amber and oak moss bases give this scent depth and substance.
I highly recommend Obsession to lovers of spicy sweet oriental scents. Or to anyone tired of the current pandemic of generic white florals and fruity florals being offered up by the thousands these days.

on 9/27/2009 2:59:00 PM

I received my first bottle of Obsession--the 3.4 oz EDP spray for Christmas last year.
It took me nearly 6 months to get up the nerve to actually wear it. See, it smells a lot like the knockoff versions when you smell it straight out of the bottle, and I think that's what has always scared me off. But wait—there's something extra that starts to unfold about 5 minutes into it.
The hotness and sharpness of the first spritz begins to round itself out into a smoldering melange of incense and spices, with some kind of green, herbal overtones. Then it morphs into a sexy gossamer version of its previous self, fading into a sweet chocolaty gourmand scent.
Don't get me wrong, it is a very strong scent, not for fruity, floral, or cupcakey chicks. I can imagine Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan smelling like this.
Does it smell like the 80s? Absolutely. But I imagine it smells like the all best parts of the 80s...

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Obsession…when the weather cools down and you can get out of the drawer your winter scents…well meeting again with Obsession is like hugging an old, beloved long time friend.
I was lucky to discover it in the Nineties – and not in the Eighties when supposedly everybody was wearing it. But I also have to say that here in Italy it was never so common as it could have been in the US.
So when I am wearing it, I get nice compliments and not that “oh, another one wearing obsession” look….:o)
I am not sure if I would define it sexy…I do not want to go that debate: it is for sure feminine, powdery and sensual. Cleverly constructed and structured, to my fine nose it does not smell “mainstream” or “common”. Not at all!
I do not find it overpowering (of course no more than 2 spritzes that you then dab around). I find it one of the best spicy-florientals ever created.
For me it’s a skin scent, it makes me feel comfortable and self assured…
A staple in my collection ever since I first tried it (I always have a backup bottle!).
Classic, timeless. A must have.

on 8/5/2008 6:57:00 PM

I wore this scent when i was younger because I loved musky scents. Its been forever since I've even smelled it but maybe I'll give it a try again!

on 7/20/2008 9:19:00 AM

I wore Obsession in high school because my boyfriend at the time thought it was the greatest scent ever. I liked it, but it was never "me". I remembered it being very strong, also.

Now, forward 15 years, after reading some intriguing reviews here, I picked up a mini at the drugstore. It was like reuniting with an old friend. Smells so much better on me now, the sometimes green & greasy topnote disappears quickly and leaves me with a mesmerizing sweet and spicy amber veil. It is not nearly as strong as I remember, I actually would need to reapply halfway through the day if going somewhere. IMO, it remains a little more timeless and relevant than some of the other 80's big hitters. (Maybe they've deliberately toned down that trademark gigantic sillage?)

I'm only disappointed that it is harder to find the old splash bottle like I had, I'd love it for nostalgia--even though I think I prefer the spray.

Popular Fragrances