Calvin Klein Obsession

Calvin Klein Obsession

4.2

on 10/19/2012 5:27:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My heart skipped a beat as I sniffed it again at a local drugstore: ah, memories... I always seem to tie the fragrances I wear to the memories linked to those times, so I have been always using scents as a mindmap, and this one leads me back to a stormy irish winter spent in Cork once upon a life, full of misty enigma-filled early mornings ( there's something almost supernatural about that time of the day at that time of the year in Ireland, I swear), soul-searching afternoons and heartbreaking love stories. This fragrance is not for someone who is enjoying an easy ride: it's a fighter scent, with a butch quality in it wonderously blended with the quintessential animalistic sensuality: wearing Obsession is like turning up on lover's doorstep wearing a rough wool coat over a stark naked body - that's exactly how nerve-wrecking and arousing this is: by being so rough it makes one feel extremely fragile under it!! Wool biting at the skin, whiskey unfolding its warmth in your mouth, fighting for the last square of bitter chocolate with best friends while cosying up in front of a fireplace, bone-chilling winds roaring outside almost sweeping stranded passers-by off their feet - that's the direction in which my emotions take flight when I sniff it. Amber, pine, moss, almonds all thrown into the pot and given a rough shake. After the drydown it does settle into a calm dense aura, but you smell it and just know that the storm is coming, because it has so much promise in it! Very unique - not like Opium at all, way more sensual and feminine imo. Alas, the plastic cap looks rather cheap, the bottle itself is sleek and rather masculine. Since there's very little sugar there it is probably appropriate and suits those rough qualities of the contents. When it comes to the name - it happened to have translated quite literally into my life: fell for a guy from work head over heals while wearing this, felt an almost compelling pull towards him, and it took me more that a year to shake off the spell, especially after I had a cold chill running down my spine when I saw a bottle of Obsession for men sitting on his bathroom shelf and thought: wow, talk about living up to the name of the perfume you've chosen...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This review is for vintage Obsession--before the CK brand was bought out (first by Unilever, then by Coty Prestige). I was lucky enough to get an ounce of the pure parfum at an estate sale, and to my delight the scent was still fresh and brought back a wave of great memories. It's smooth, vanillic, rounded, and intensely sexual, with marvelous cola-like tonka and cinnamon notes, and a citrus-bergamot opener that tempers the underlying sweetness. I find some similarities here with Shalimar, but Obsession relinquishes the strong vanilla in Shalimar to a cooler, spicier base reminiscent of Arabian attar oils (Jannat-al-Ferdous comes to mind in particular). It's definitely not a scent for wallflowers, and it will wear YOU unless judiciously applied, but there's a reason Obsession was a runaway hit 25 years ago and continues to be sold like hotcakes today. There's just no other oriental fragrance like it, and I find it delicious and extremely sexy.

If you love orientals, I highly encourage you to purchase older stock of Obsession (mini parfums and EDPs can be had on eBay) and give it a whirl. The current reformulation, available only in EDP and manufactured by Coty Prestige, is thin and sour by comparison and bears only surface resemblance to the masterpiece of the vintage version. (The new version comes in an egg-shaped bottle with brown plastic cap, whereas the older versions came in a wide, flat bottle and/or had a gold band around the cap.)

on 2/13/2010 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My opinion of this is sort of conditional--dabbed on sparingly from a sample vial, I like it a lot, in all its orangey/spicy/amber loudness. But I can't imagine applying even one full-size spritz, much less more than one. It would choke the wearer and everyone in the vicinity.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Horrendous, dated packaging. I wish designers would update their packaging for popular fragrances - may boost sales and introduce the scent to new generations. Anyway - this fragrance is my number one, penultimate example of a perfume I love ONLY ONLY in the drydown phase.

For this reason, I feel many of the once-popular drugstore knockoffs get this right in the sense that the inital, "expensive" and "exotic" smelling notes are unbearably harsh and chemical smelling and they go straight for the sillage that we later smell on others - the vaguely powdery, distinctive Obsession-scent.

This is a unique scent that I feel has gotten a bad rap. Even as a younger fragrance wearer, I feel if a light hand is used - this is still a masterfully crafted scent with a unique blend of notes and complexity. continued >>

on 12/19/2005 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm with the reviewers who STILL love this scent. I avoided wearing it in the 80s (even though it smelled awesome on me), because so many girls were wearing it. Now, in my late 30s, I've found it again. And since NO one is wearing it anymore, I get tons and tons of compliments on it! Am in agreement this is a cool/cold weather scent. I only wear it in the winter and alternate between this, and another favorite of mine, Casmir (which also nets me beaucoup compliments:)). Light hand is a must with this, as most who have tried it know. It's an oriental that can be overpowering. It's certainly not a scent you have to "layer" like some others that fade so fast. And for those of you who think "it's so 80s"...and blast this beautiful, intoxicatingly sexy fragrance, please continue! Better you don't wear it, and let me enjoy the attention:)

on 11/15/2005 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Obsession has been on the market for a long and I had not yet purchased it, however since I love strong perfumes, I thought I would give it a go. The packaging less and impressive, it looks like those rip-off perfumes that you get in pound shops with names like “Poizon” and “Possession.” The first thing that hits you about the scent is this kind of harsh slightly acidic tang which if you done a few sprays can grate the back of your throat. It does settle down and I found that with my warm body chemistry and very oily skin it fades to a pleasing if overtly musky base scent. However I would not wear it …rather overlay it with something bright and sweet once the tang has worn off. One thing though it does last, I put it on the morning and when I undress at night I can still catch traces. I wouldn't buy it again.

Popular Fragrances