Calvin Klein Obsession

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Calvin Klein Obsession

3.5

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Oh my god! How did I not buy this sooner?

Went to Winners to find a bargain on a frag. Saw lots of cheap $20 celebrity frags. My man knows I like Calvin Klein, and he pointed out a 50 ML bottle of this for $29. I've read a lot about it on Fragrantica, and I love spicy orientals, so I went ahead and blind-bought it. Funny because I'm blind, so I guess I always blind-buy perfumes.
Anyway, brought it home and spritzed once on my neck. It's quite green in the opening, but after ten minutes it settles down to a beautiful spicy ambery, powdery vanilla. Definitely my cup of tea. Damn, I can't stop sniffing the air! This lasts forever too, and you don't need to apply much. This doesn't smell unisex to me either, actually it smells quite sensual and sexy. Great for fall/winter. Best of all, my man loves it! I'm only 26 so I wasn't around in the 80's, but I'll be rocking this in the 2000's! I understand why this has been around longer than I've been alive. It's a masterpiece in my opinion. If you love oriental, spicy perfumes with a personality, and if you're not afraid to be noticed, this one's for you.

on 8/2/2015 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I wore this in the mid to late 90's, and I understand it's been reformulated since then.

A sweet and spicy oriental. Excellent sillage and lasting power. It reminds me of the harsh, frigid winters in New England, snowdrifts and christmastime. The smell of fire smoke and spiced hot cider. It's a little sharp but very pleasing. People will know - it stands out. I wore this for years as a cold scent, but have since moved on to others. I find it a very affordable, quality fragrance and a good alternative to more expensive options. It's a lot like TF Noir Pour Femme, but Obsession has much better projection and lasts longer.

Overall I cannot stand Calvin Klein's packaging. The only bottle that I've seen in the last 25 years or so that stood out to me was the Euphoria bottle.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This stuff sends me into an immediate migraine. It's overbearingly strong. It's also far too spicy and dark for my liking.

on 12/12/2014 5:43:00 PM

YUM. A divinely silky amber/tonka-based Oriental with a fascinatingly clean citrusy-green top. In the '80s, I would have called it a "sweet" perfume; however, next to today's candied florals, Obsession is surprisingly dry and refreshing! My longest-running fragrance love-- I've actually finished bottles of this over the years, and I'm notoriously diversified and fickle in my perfume choices.

Blatantly sexy, but it stays fairly close to the skin if you squirt judiciously. I go ahead and wear it to work, and everyone likes it. I'm a redhead and a social worker, and this fragrance suits me to a T: spicy, warm, inviting, strong but lovable. (BTW I do not get comparisons of Obsession to Opium or Youth-Dew! The latter two are way more spicy and heavy, with oppressive fecal notes, and I can't even try to wear them.)

This is one fragrance for which VINTAGE formulation is a must. The current iteration by Coty Prestige is recognizably Obsession, but thinner and lacking the indulgent, complex harmony of the original. It's like a Glade version of Obsession.

The best version is the original, by Calvin Klein Fragrances. This came in cologne and EDP, either in kidney-shaped splash bottles or in egg-shaped spray bottles with the sprayer built into the cap. A very close second is the Unilever version: spray bottles of EDP with a gold band around the cap. Avoid modern bottles with a plain, dark brown cap.

on 2/6/2014 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Cautionary tale: I went to a secretarial luncheon at my company in the early 90's, and with eyes rolling, the group complained about Candice's Obsession (she was otherwise a sweet & well-liked person -- not in attendance at this luncheon).

Apparently, Candice's daily application of Obsession filled the whole administration building each morning (I personally worked in another building). And from my experience, it doesn't take much of this classic to fill a space -- it's quite a floater. I doubt Candice actually applied very much, probably a small squirt was enough to travel into the big open central space of that building.

Although I'm an oriental lover, Obsession didn't appeal to me when it first came out in the mid-80's, so I didn't jump on buying a bottle. There was some *note* in there that I didn't like (civet? or a spice, like maybe coriander?) -- or else it wasn't sweet enough -- or vanilla enough -- or else it was too flat and just -- brown. I don't know, something in the mix rubbed me the wrong way -- I wasn't sold, didn't buy it.

And then our Airborne Express courier came in one cold, dark winter's day around year 1988 to pick up a package after lunch -- and she smelled quite warm & wonderful -- so I asked her what she was wearing, and it was Obsession. It was afternoon, and it smelled lke a nice warm woody scent on her. Well, that changed my mind, so that's when I bought my dab-on splash bottle and began wearing one small dab of it. Enjoyed it, for the most part, but I never finished the bottle and eventually threw it away when it turned extremely dark.

I now have a spray bottle which I bought a couple years ago but have barely used. After seeing recent board raves, I tried it again on a Saturday, back in Nov or Dec -- and while running my errands, I felt like I reeked. I tried not to get close to other people in stores. I hadn't put much on, but it seemed so strong, and it still had that strange unidentified spice basenote that I never liked.

I was very self-conscious that morning, and it never seemed to wear off -- at all. I haven't worn it since, but I'm not willing to give my bottle away -- I'll keep it. So Obsession has come and gone in my life. I didn't like it -- then I liked it -- now I'm back to not liking it very much again. It's one of those I should have loved (it fits my usual tastes) but for whatever reason, it has mostly not been one of my favorites.

on 2/6/2014 1:41:00 PM

I don't know how to explain this fragrance. Let's see...I like this scent but it doesn't like me.
Nice fragrance but way too strong. I had a small sample bottle of this. I wore it for hours; all the while loving the scent. It did NOT give me a headache, but it--literally--made me sick to my stomach. Thinking I might be nauseous for a different reason, I tried Obsession again. I'm sorry to say this, but I got sick to my stomach a second time. I gave my little bottle away.

I am an educated 57 year old southern lady who found the ads for Obsession so annoying that I avoided smelling or sampling it til TODAY! Damn, This stuff is to die for gorgeous, rich , feminine and SEXY. Best yet , the price is reasonable and the fragrance lasts all day and then some. I still am turned off by the cheesy ads, but this fragrance is undeniably powerful in a head turning way .

I am sniffing what I sampled earlier today , which has not faded in ten hours. Tomorrow I will march back and buy a bottle .I am a fan of classy orientals like Coco , Opium, and Euphoria , which are timeless classics. Euphoria , another Calvin Klein , is a fragrance that yields endless compliments , projects well, and lasts and lasts in a sultry way also. This one has a vanilla and musk vibe that is perfect and SOPHISTICATED.

Euphoria and Obsession are fabulous buys for the money !

I bought the newer formualtion 2011 ...don't believe all the hype surrounding the past ones! Really if you can get a current one from a reputable retailer. Anyways, this is a lovely vanilla/ smoke/ powder mix which opens with a green pine-ish note. That last one sounds horrific but it's really not that bad in the mix (looked it up - that green note is oakmoss).

A lovely cooler weather/ night time fragrance. Really cozy seductive. I can see how it was abused in the eighties though. One spray people! then rub around where ever (that thing about bruising fragrance is a myth - you cannot alter it's make up in any way!)

Men seem to like it too and nowadays not many people under 25 are wearing it score! Not at all overly sweet, gourmand in a staright from the kitchen pantry way with the vanilla blending beautifully with the musk Sexaaaay!!!

on 11/9/2011 3:18:00 PM

I used up my last bottle of the original from the late 80's. Then I bought a new bottle. I was horrified at what they had done to this once magnificent fragrance. I was so repulsed by the new juic ethat I promptly returned it to the dept store to see if I had gotten an old bottle. But no. It's been reformulated and as usual, the fragrance is ruined. For good. I haven't bought anything fragrance-wise in Calvin Klein for the past 10 years, and I probably won't be buying any in the future, if this reformulation of a former masterpiece is any indication as to where the future of perfume lies in this company.

on 8/5/2011 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I dont understand what the hell this perfume is supposed to be, as soon as i spray it on BAAAAAAAAAAM, some insane pang of smell, not nice smell, NOOOOOO, nasty sharp metally weird not so pleasant smell. The thing is I do actually agree with the fact that the formulas been changed as my aunt still owns hers back from the early 90s or was it late 80s and that smelled divine so I went out and bought it. However they smell so different, defo a formula change. CALVIN KLEIN wth were you thinking?

Popular Fragrances