Calvin Klein Obsession

3.9

on 8/2/2015 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I wore this in the mid to late 90's, and I understand it's been reformulated since then.

A sweet and spicy oriental. Excellent sillage and lasting power. It reminds me of the harsh, frigid winters in New England, snowdrifts and christmastime. The smell of fire smoke and spiced hot cider. It's a little sharp but very pleasing. People will know - it stands out. I wore this for years as a cold scent, but have since moved on to others. I find it a very affordable, quality fragrance and a good alternative to more expensive options. It's a lot like TF Noir Pour Femme, but Obsession has much better projection and lasts longer.

Overall I cannot stand Calvin Klein's packaging. The only bottle that I've seen in the last 25 years or so that stood out to me was the Euphoria bottle.

on 8/10/2014 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

After reading reviews I decided that I was missing out by not trying this one so I ordered a tester bottle off ebay. Incense with a hint of vanilla....mmmmmm. I love this and will wear it alot this fall! It's also nice that it lasts all day without reapplying and yes, it's very strong so don't put on too much. If you're a lover of spicy scents you may really like this if you haven't tried it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

First whiff-adoration! No matter what others say, I will always love this perfume. I truly believe all the hype and commercialization has turned people off through the years and that is a true shame. It's a beautiful fragrance that should not be taken lightly.
A warm, powdery, sweet scent with amber laden spices surrounding and tickling your nose. Creaminess abounds throughout the different layers and surround your olfactory senses constantly.
Vanilla, peach, citrus and basil are what I get in the top notes, spices, oakmoss and cedar in the middle, and amber, musk, civet, incense and vetiver in the base. This is such a complicated fragrance and that's the reason I delight in it.
Obsession gives me an image of leather riding boots, cable knit winter white sweaters over well-worn Levis, cozy comfortable clothing, a pashmina scarf tossed casually around my neck. It has a hint of masculinity, yes, very definitely. It appeals to the yin and yang of our souls. Forget the commercials and what the media has told you. Spray it again on a vulnerable spot and luxuriate in yourself. You'll be glad you tried it again. It's a sensual fragrance that awakens your inner self.
Although it seems more of a night-time fragrance based in the cooler months, I love wearing it year-round. It's mystique and scent is just that delicious.
It's rather long-lasting, more than 6 hours on me. It's sillage radiates also beyond yourself depending on how much you spray, so be careful. One spray is more than enough.
Top Notes: Green Notes, Mandarin Orange, Vanilla, Basil, Peach, Bergamot, Lemon.
Middle Notes: Spices, Coriander, Sandalwood, Orange Blossom, Oakmoss, Cedar, Rose, Jasmine.
Base Notes: Musk, Civet, Vanilla, Amber, Vetiver, Incense.

on 2/2/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

When I was a teenager, the idea of wearing perfume seemed ridiculous; only bimbos and old ladies would spritz themselves down with “embalming fluid”. I was too busy wearing black, listening to counter culture music (whatever that is), and pretending to not care. Needless to say, I never wore any of the classic fragrances from the late 80s/ mid 90s. Recently, I purchased a bottle of designer juice at the local small town drug store, and hoped for the best. Wow. Obsession is a first-rate production, complete with an eclectic cast of characters. The opening is abrasive with an icky soapy-green burst that makes one wonder why Obsession is classified as a spicy oriental. On the skin, it begins to unfold chaotically, leaving a trace of (almost off-putting) powder. Next, a cute and fuzzy animalic note (civet) politely says hello, instead of throwing a Bal a Versailles middle finger. Slowly, the green-forest-creature-powder begins to expose amber and spices and after about 30 minutes the premise that this is not a spicy oriental turns on its head. This is the spicy oriental. Incense, vanilla, sandalwood, and spices are now the main actors, while the rest of the cast quietly scampers on and off the stage as supporting characters.

In an attempt to understand Obsession, I applied it to one side of my body and Ambre Sultan to the other. At first, the bombastic Serge Lutens seduced me with delicious sweaty-sweetness, which made Obsession seem like a powdery mess. But, as time progressed it was clear that Ambre Sultan simply turned down the volume, while Obsession told me a story. In fact, I would go as far as to say Ambre Sultan could be a stand-in for one of Obsession’s actors.

When I wear Obsession I tend to pair it with a cotton T-shirt and dark eye make-up—the teenager in me definitely approves!

Tenacity: 5/5
Sillage: 5/5
Overall: 5/5 (Ambre Sultan 4/5)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I still have my original kidney-shaped edp splash bottle from 1986. I also just received a recent 15ml edp. There is a slight difference and I mean so slight, it's negligible. The new formulation is lacking that distinctive stale note in the original. I don't miss it. The current formulation is fabulous and worthy of love. I've been wearing Obsession for 26 years and I still love it. Applied with a light hand it is absolutely bewitching.

on 3/30/2011 6:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Grey, Kinky, Medium

An attractive, alluring scent ... I was one of the ppl who loved this fragrance when it hit the market in the '80s. Made a big splash.

I love the vanilla that makes it creamy & the musk that makes it sultry. I don't currently own a bottle but I think it's a very warm scent, great for the dead cold of winter.

A classic.

on 1/15/2011 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

To the previous poster...
you say you used to receive compliments every time you wore Obsession back in the 80's but dont get compliments now when you wear it - because of this - you think 'the formula has changed'?

I'm guessing you were in your 20's when you first wore this perfume.....
do you think this could be the reason you received compliments then and not now?
(young women tend to get compliments no matter what they're wearting - as an example - I used to sometimes wear 'Charlie' perfume back in the day - that stuff smelled terrible and yet I still used to get compliments).
I think its a case of 'we have changed' more than the formula has changed :(

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am so in love with this fragrance. It's my go to for every day/event. I have to basically force myself to wear any other perfume now. I mainly get a musky incense with some amber and vanilla. I hopefully will never have to be without a bottle!

Obsession is a classic and classy sweet spicy oriental. It has monster sillage and must be used lightly. But if used lightly and properly, Obsession can be worn for almost any occasion. Dab lightly for work, daytime, church. A little heavier and you're ready for a night on the town. Apply quite heavily and you're likely to suffocate persons in your immediate vicinity.
The mandarin and bergamot combine with the jasmine in the top notes in a most intriguing way, giving off a little spicy mysterious aroma. Warm and inviting yet still cool and mysterious. The amber and oak moss bases give this scent depth and substance.
I highly recommend Obsession to lovers of spicy sweet oriental scents. Or to anyone tired of the current pandemic of generic white florals and fruity florals being offered up by the thousands these days.

on 9/30/2008 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Obsession is a classic spicy concoction that includes orange
blossom, vanilla and amber, with a hint of a
medicinal note at times, and almost masculine. I've been undecided
on Obession for many years, and can't quite bring myself to wear it.
I keep trying it every so often though. 24 Faubourg has similar
notes but is more refined, Obsession more casual and sporty.
JPG Classique also has these key notes.

Popular Fragrances