Calvin Klein Obsession

Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was just a baby when this was popular, and I've never known anyone who wore it, so I bought it completely blind on eBay, just wanting to try it.

I'm having trouble describing what this perfume means to me now. I have been feeling bad about myself lately, I'm on antidepressants which have caused irregular weight gain and SEVERE stretch marks, and I've been having odd pains and aches and fluid retention and you-name-it. All in all, I've been finding it hard to adhere to my beliefs in body acceptance and weight neutrality and self-love.

Then along came Obsession, arriving in the mail.

I spritzed it on my wrists, and the next thing I knew I was enveloped in a warm, sensual musk of vanilla and caramel, and suddenly my body was no longer a battlefield of strange and depressing feelings and side effects: It was a warm, soft, glowing whole of beauty and comfort, and I felt so good I wanted to cry.

This perfume is my little miracle. It is helping me through a really bad time, and it is helping me feel sexy and beautiful when my body makes it hard to feel that way. Thank you, Obsession.

on 5/11/2007 12:06:00 PM

I don't like the habit of "dating" fragrances. What does the 50's and 30's smell like? Or 2005? When you truly love a scent, you'll love it whichever year it's from.
I love my Obsession, and it will remind me of the period of time I wore it - which is now. It will remind me of situations, settings, persons I met, and the dress I wore. When I open my closet, Obsession will greet me with a "yes, today too" and I will stroll around on my own beautiful and comfortable, snuggly yet sophisticated, feminine but edgy, confident and sexy cloud of softness with a twist. This scent is timeless, as with all fragrances.
I don't get the hype - you use a fragrance not because you love it, but because it's trendy to love it? Next year you'll love something else? That concept of fragrance doesn't work for me.
Fragrance is (or should be) a mood thing, maybe one or more signature scents. Sometimes you grow tired of it, or your body chemistry changes.
But if you really love a scent you'll never characterize it as "outdated"
That's my opinion anyway.
I'm looking forward to wear my Obsession, my Pure Poison, my Cinema, my Shalimar, and my Rapture and many others at the retirement home - turning the heads of distinguished old gentlemen - in my wheelchair named Desire.....

Update: Ingredients - mandarin, bergamot, green notes, jasmine, orange blossom, coriander, basil, sandalwood, amber, vetiver, musk and incense.
I'm an oriental-floral/woody girl. If you're a fruity-floral gal, you probably won't like this.

on 12/12/2014 5:43:00 PM

YUM. A divinely silky amber/tonka-based Oriental with a fascinatingly clean citrusy-green top. In the '80s, I would have called it a "sweet" perfume; however, next to today's candied florals, Obsession is surprisingly dry and refreshing! My longest-running fragrance love-- I've actually finished bottles of this over the years, and I'm notoriously diversified and fickle in my perfume choices.

Blatantly sexy, but it stays fairly close to the skin if you squirt judiciously. I go ahead and wear it to work, and everyone likes it. I'm a redhead and a social worker, and this fragrance suits me to a T: spicy, warm, inviting, strong but lovable. (BTW I do not get comparisons of Obsession to Opium or Youth-Dew! The latter two are way more spicy and heavy, with oppressive fecal notes, and I can't even try to wear them.)

This is one fragrance for which VINTAGE formulation is a must. The current iteration by Coty Prestige is recognizably Obsession, but thinner and lacking the indulgent, complex harmony of the original. It's like a Glade version of Obsession.

The best version is the original, by Calvin Klein Fragrances. This came in cologne and EDP, either in kidney-shaped splash bottles or in egg-shaped spray bottles with the sprayer built into the cap. A very close second is the Unilever version: spray bottles of EDP with a gold band around the cap. Avoid modern bottles with a plain, dark brown cap.

on 2/2/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

When I was a teenager, the idea of wearing perfume seemed ridiculous; only bimbos and old ladies would spritz themselves down with “embalming fluid”. I was too busy wearing black, listening to counter culture music (whatever that is), and pretending to not care. Needless to say, I never wore any of the classic fragrances from the late 80s/ mid 90s. Recently, I purchased a bottle of designer juice at the local small town drug store, and hoped for the best. Wow. Obsession is a first-rate production, complete with an eclectic cast of characters. The opening is abrasive with an icky soapy-green burst that makes one wonder why Obsession is classified as a spicy oriental. On the skin, it begins to unfold chaotically, leaving a trace of (almost off-putting) powder. Next, a cute and fuzzy animalic note (civet) politely says hello, instead of throwing a Bal a Versailles middle finger. Slowly, the green-forest-creature-powder begins to expose amber and spices and after about 30 minutes the premise that this is not a spicy oriental turns on its head. This is the spicy oriental. Incense, vanilla, sandalwood, and spices are now the main actors, while the rest of the cast quietly scampers on and off the stage as supporting characters.

In an attempt to understand Obsession, I applied it to one side of my body and Ambre Sultan to the other. At first, the bombastic Serge Lutens seduced me with delicious sweaty-sweetness, which made Obsession seem like a powdery mess. But, as time progressed it was clear that Ambre Sultan simply turned down the volume, while Obsession told me a story. In fact, I would go as far as to say Ambre Sultan could be a stand-in for one of Obsession’s actors.

When I wear Obsession I tend to pair it with a cotton T-shirt and dark eye make-up—the teenager in me definitely approves!

Tenacity: 5/5
Sillage: 5/5
Overall: 5/5 (Ambre Sultan 4/5)

Good morning all! I thought you would get a kick out of this. I love Obsession and have worn it for years ... but I think my nose might be going blind to it a little. This morning I spritzed on a little too much and then went out for coffee with my best friend. The problems started as I reached across the counter for my iced coffee and corn muffin ... a gentleman waiting in line for his order recoiled. We sat down in the corner to eat and I thought the other patrons were giving us a wide berth ... on the other hand it might have been my imagination. On the way home, my friend closed her door and immediately gasped for air. "Oh my God! I give up!" She rolled down all the windows and exceeded the speed limit all the way back to my house. Now, mind you, it is February and my friend is always cold. When we arrived at my house she nearly threw me out of the car. "Babe, you have too much perfume on. Get out get out get out!" Well, how rude!

I love Obsession and will continue to wear it ... but apparently, one spritz is enough even for me.

Some other potent favorites are Shalimar, Opium, and Cinnabar and Spellbound by Estee Lauder. Also one-spritz perfumes.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I still have my original kidney-shaped edp splash bottle from 1986. I also just received a recent 15ml edp. There is a slight difference and I mean so slight, it's negligible. The new formulation is lacking that distinctive stale note in the original. I don't miss it. The current formulation is fabulous and worthy of love. I've been wearing Obsession for 26 years and I still love it. Applied with a light hand it is absolutely bewitching.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

First whiff-adoration! No matter what others say, I will always love this perfume. I truly believe all the hype and commercialization has turned people off through the years and that is a true shame. It's a beautiful fragrance that should not be taken lightly.
A warm, powdery, sweet scent with amber laden spices surrounding and tickling your nose. Creaminess abounds throughout the different layers and surround your olfactory senses constantly.
Vanilla, peach, citrus and basil are what I get in the top notes, spices, oakmoss and cedar in the middle, and amber, musk, civet, incense and vetiver in the base. This is such a complicated fragrance and that's the reason I delight in it.
Obsession gives me an image of leather riding boots, cable knit winter white sweaters over well-worn Levis, cozy comfortable clothing, a pashmina scarf tossed casually around my neck. It has a hint of masculinity, yes, very definitely. It appeals to the yin and yang of our souls. Forget the commercials and what the media has told you. Spray it again on a vulnerable spot and luxuriate in yourself. You'll be glad you tried it again. It's a sensual fragrance that awakens your inner self.
Although it seems more of a night-time fragrance based in the cooler months, I love wearing it year-round. It's mystique and scent is just that delicious.
It's rather long-lasting, more than 6 hours on me. It's sillage radiates also beyond yourself depending on how much you spray, so be careful. One spray is more than enough.
Top Notes: Green Notes, Mandarin Orange, Vanilla, Basil, Peach, Bergamot, Lemon.
Middle Notes: Spices, Coriander, Sandalwood, Orange Blossom, Oakmoss, Cedar, Rose, Jasmine.
Base Notes: Musk, Civet, Vanilla, Amber, Vetiver, Incense.

Eyes: Violet

Love it! On me it has a deep vanilla scent mixed with a bit of spice, very sexy. I agree about dating fragrances.. what gives? I am 22 and love this scent, just as much as I love scents by Stila! It all depends on your mood and how it smells on you, not the year! I will continue to purchase this fragrance for years to come no matter what year it is =)

on 11/7/2009 2:25:00 PM

Oh boy, I keep forgetting what great stuff this is. This one has a wonderful not-too-sweet dry-down that puts the newer cookie-cutter fragrances to shame.

The trick with Obsession is to use the tiniest amount possible! I learned this the hard way years ago when I used to spray on enough to kill bugs.

Now I spray a bit onto a little saucer and then dip my finger in the couple of drops there and dot it on the torso area before getting dressed. That way, later on there is this soft, woodsy, incense-y aroma wafting up, helped along by body heat and buffered by clothes. So by the time it hits any nostrils it is rather "quiet" but still noticeable, in a good way. A really good way.

The shower gel is terrific too!

on 1/25/2013 10:35:00 PM

I love this perfume. It's soft, feminine, comforting, sexy. It's not sharp, screechy or toothache-inducing. It's an original scent and timeless in nature. It was great back in the 80's (albeit the formulation was MUCH stronger then). Coty Prestige has since taken over the production of this fragrance, and in doing so, has updated it. By that, I mean they have been loyal to the scent by keeping it delicious, but the strength is not a hammer over your head. The sillage is moderate. The lasting power is pleasantly long. I never feel ripped off. There is nothing worse than plunking down a bunch of cash for a perfume that can't be detected by you or anyone else after 2 minutes of having it on..... Don't let the 80's reputation of this scent shy you away. I have migraines and sinus allergies - THIS DOES NOT BOTHER ME AT ALL...... SO - If you like mellow citrusy top notes with a woodsy, powdery, incense kind of dry-down that is hypnotic ... dare i say magical - look no further.

Popular Fragrances