Calvin Klein Obsession

Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

on 12/23/2016 11:29:00 PM

I got this in a set of ck minis. I smelled it and thought it smelled absolutely disgusting, but I also didn't care for the others much, but on my skin they smelled nice. This one, however, smelled worse on my skin and would not come off for the longest time even though I just put it a bit on my wrist and tried to wash it off. It's a VERY strong scent.

on 12/23/2016 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This perfume is my biggest, longest love affair....
This was my scent back in the 80s and 90s. I first smelt Obsession in 1989 Christmas in Kuala Lumpur where all the fancy shopping malls were heavy on Obsession. I had to get one, and it was my fav well into the 90s. I was then young and carefree, life was all parties and cute guys....
Then I gave up perfume.
I tried again today, its still gorgeous, i tried both the Vintage and Reformulated. If you let both sit for an hour...Obsession is still Obsession, powerful, sexy, spicy and Come hither. Its for the big hair, big shoulder pads girl who has now matured into a I know who I am lady, strong, sensual and self-supporting. She needs not tell or publish her woes on FB or air her dirty laundry in public. She knows she will get over it and get on. Life is as great as you make it, or as dramatic.
I wear this scent like a dream, men love it on me, and I love it on me.
Yes, its cheaper price-wise than Shalimar and Samsara, the other 2 orientals I love, but its not cheaper in sensation, if you know what I mean.
Not a safe blind buy, you have to be ready for Obsession.....

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Oh my god! How did I not buy this sooner?

Went to Winners to find a bargain on a frag. Saw lots of cheap $20 celebrity frags. My man knows I like Calvin Klein, and he pointed out a 50 ML bottle of this for $29. I've read a lot about it on Fragrantica, and I love spicy orientals, so I went ahead and blind-bought it. Funny because I'm blind, so I guess I always blind-buy perfumes.
Anyway, brought it home and spritzed once on my neck. It's quite green in the opening, but after ten minutes it settles down to a beautiful spicy ambery, powdery vanilla. Definitely my cup of tea. Damn, I can't stop sniffing the air! This lasts forever too, and you don't need to apply much. This doesn't smell unisex to me either, actually it smells quite sensual and sexy. Great for fall/winter. Best of all, my man loves it! I'm only 26 so I wasn't around in the 80's, but I'll be rocking this in the 2000's! I understand why this has been around longer than I've been alive. It's a masterpiece in my opinion. If you love oriental, spicy perfumes with a personality, and if you're not afraid to be noticed, this one's for you.

on 3/12/2016 12:28:00 AM

This review is for the vintage (80s) Obsession EDC in the kidney shaped bottle as well as the new formulation. The vintage version is very soft but also very powerful. It's spicy, sweet and powdery. Very easy on the nose. It smells of sweet incense, perfume, and powder. A well-done and balanced masterpiece. I would only wear this at night. It is very mysterious and dark--too complicated and complex for day time wear. The body powder (with the gold rim) matches the perfume perfectly. The powder is a bit softer and just a smidgen more subdued, which I prefer.

The reformulation is horrible. They should have just discontinued it instead of remaking it into a total mess. It is recognizable but it's a screeching mess. The unbalanced notes run wild and never really settle. It is way too harsh to my nose. No way do I get that soft, powdery sweet alluring dark mystery with the current one. How sad.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

This smells like woody musky amber smothered in baby powder. It has a sweetness that overpowers the musky woody amber, its so well done, totally amazed that it smells so different to anything I have had the pleasure of smelling, but after a short while appreciating what it is, I had to wash it off as gets a bit too much weight for the nose

on 8/2/2015 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I wore this in the mid to late 90's, and I understand it's been reformulated since then.

A sweet and spicy oriental. Excellent sillage and lasting power. It reminds me of the harsh, frigid winters in New England, snowdrifts and christmastime. The smell of fire smoke and spiced hot cider. It's a little sharp but very pleasing. People will know - it stands out. I wore this for years as a cold scent, but have since moved on to others. I find it a very affordable, quality fragrance and a good alternative to more expensive options. It's a lot like TF Noir Pour Femme, but Obsession has much better projection and lasts longer.

Overall I cannot stand Calvin Klein's packaging. The only bottle that I've seen in the last 25 years or so that stood out to me was the Euphoria bottle.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This stuff sends me into an immediate migraine. It's overbearingly strong. It's also far too spicy and dark for my liking.

on 2/1/2015 5:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought this for my mother after she requested it. On first smelling it, I didn't like it at all. Initially, it's far too strong. But after a couple of hours, it becomes a beautiful soft scent. It's sweet, musky and powdery without being at all old-lady ish. The staying power is probably it's most impressive quality. This stuff lasts all day and lingers for days afterwards. I sprayed it on my wrist and 5 days later I would still get a subtle whiff from the sleeve on my jacket. I probably wouldn't buy this for myself, because I prefer a lighter perfume for everyday. But I will continue to steal the occasional squirt of this from my mother's bottle :)

on 1/29/2015 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was born in 1974 so growing up in the 80's I remember when this 1st came out,there were AD's for it everywhere!!!! My mom wore it a lot and loved it..as a kid so did I!!! My mom would always let me put a tiny bit of it on and I remember it lasting all day & night!!

I got my 1st bottle around 13 thanks to my mom! I love & still love the scent...warm amber,musky,vaniila-ish with hints of spice,sweetness,woodsyness,incense...it's definitely a fall/winter scent! Super long lasting!

*This one one of the 1st scents that started my perfume addiction!!!!!

This perfume takes me back in time to the 80's when I was a kid and I'm happy to say I've been through many bottles in the past!<3

on 12/12/2014 5:43:00 PM

YUM. A divinely silky amber/tonka-based Oriental with a fascinatingly clean citrusy-green top. In the '80s, I would have called it a "sweet" perfume; however, next to today's candied florals, Obsession is surprisingly dry and refreshing! My longest-running fragrance love-- I've actually finished bottles of this over the years, and I'm notoriously diversified and fickle in my perfume choices.

Blatantly sexy, but it stays fairly close to the skin if you squirt judiciously. I go ahead and wear it to work, and everyone likes it. I'm a redhead and a social worker, and this fragrance suits me to a T: spicy, warm, inviting, strong but lovable. (BTW I do not get comparisons of Obsession to Opium or Youth-Dew! The latter two are way more spicy and heavy, with oppressive fecal notes, and I can't even try to wear them.)

This is one fragrance for which VINTAGE formulation is a must. The current iteration by Coty Prestige is recognizably Obsession, but thinner and lacking the indulgent, complex harmony of the original. It's like a Glade version of Obsession.

The best version is the original, by Calvin Klein Fragrances. This came in cologne and EDP, either in kidney-shaped splash bottles or in egg-shaped spray bottles with the sprayer built into the cap. A very close second is the Unilever version: spray bottles of EDP with a gold band around the cap. Avoid modern bottles with a plain, dark brown cap.

Popular Fragrances