Biotin (All brands)

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
 Biotin (All brands)
Biotin 2 weeks growth (I take Biotin 10000mcg daily)

3.2

on 2/3/2016 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Biotin has definitely helped my hair to grow faster, and possibly thicker, though probably not softer or shinier. When I was getting my brown hair bleached regularly, the root regrowth was super crazy, way beyond any normal rate. I've been taking it for about a year now, and it definitely works, but you have to be careful and patient with it. It can cause breakouts and takes a while to work, but it's worth it if you stick with it.

I started at 1000mcg, the lowest possible dose, and started taking both a daily zinc and vitamin b complex supplement (I later increased the dosage for both, but I can't tell of any results yet), a silica supplement, and started drinking a bottle of water a day. If I had any breakouts it was no more noticeable than usual (my acne seems to be mostly hormonal, if that helps). When I ran out, I upped the dose to 3000mcg, then 5000mcg and 10,000mcg, all whilst keeping relatively clear skin (I've since found a cleansing routine that works for me).

I'm currently on a dose of 12,000mcg, but I'll be going back to the 10,000mcg once that's done as I think that gave me the best results. I don't know what would happen if I went up to 20,000mcg.

Don't start with a high dose, and don't give up after two weeks; it took about three months for me to see real results, but my hair is now far better than it was before.

on 8/3/2015 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

BACKSTORY ON MY HAIR - I'm fairly young, in my late teens, so my hair should be plenty healthy, thick and look good. Also considering my hair was really thick and long not too many years ago. And don't get me wrong, my hair looks absolutely fine, however recently I've noticed a lot of thinning. Especially after my first and last box dye experience. I believe with the chemical damage and my personal stress (take note I tend to have stress problems and my immune system is comprised as a result), my hair is reacting in a more negative way than I'd like. And now my hair is medium-fine in texture. REVIEW STARTS HERE - Obviously if you're trying to grow your hair out or thicken it up, you did the research and found Biotin. People generally take 5,000 mg for hair growth (5,000 mg is trend I've noticed but people take as much as 10,000 mg to 300 mg or lower). Although adults only NEED about 30 mg of Biotin, but people find packing the dosage gives amazing hair results. And it can, there's not much of an argument there. People generally get good hair results from biotin. Some don't notice a difference and it's not much of a loss. However my experience with Biotin was not as positive as I'd like and also the same experience many people, if not most have had with Biotin in relation to their skin. I really wanted Biotin to work for me and I took it on and off for about 2 months in different dosages. I took 5,000 mg for a couple weeks. And initially all was good! I hadn't noticed a huge difference (but if you are taking biotin, understand that it takes patience and time). However, a week or two pass and my skin is breaking out worse than it ever has. My skin doesn't look horrific but the pain from the cystic acne that Biotin left me with is just so disappointing. My face feels dried up in certain areas and the cystic acne is painful and doesn't look very nice. If you have acne prone skin I would stay away because I promise you might be curious now about its affect on your hair, but later you'll wish you hadn't been. If you do take Biotin, remember drink a lot of water! It helps! And if you're going the safe route (the one I should've taken), just buy some good simple shampoos without a lot of chemicals, or preferably some organic ones. Get a good deep conditioner and leave in conditioner. Braid your hair often, and when you sleep. Wash your hair as little as you feel comfortable with. Get some fish oil supplements. And drink water and stay healthy! You'll see results the natural way :)

on 7/9/2015 12:02:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been taking biotin for 3 weeks, taking two 1,000 mg pills every other day (not for any reason. I forget to take it a lot.). I decided to take it because my nails were so weak i could peel pieces off very easily. A few days ago it hit me just how well it was working. My nails are already stronger and theyve got a nice shine to them! But the biggest difference is my hair! I have frizzy, tangly, weak, curly hair. It had been falling out or breaking easily for awhile and I was trying to solve the problem with products. Biotin was the product that pleasantly surprised me. My hair is still tangly but its also shiny and way less frizzy. It also breaks way less often. Thirdly, my skin. It also has a nice shine/glow now, though my acne and other skin problems are still around. Its not a miracle pill but it will pleasantly surprise you!

on 6/11/2015 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Warning....DO NOT take this stuff if you are already acne prone. I decided to try Biotin at 500mcg because I wanted to grow my hair out and read that it would help it grow faster. While that may be true, what they don't tell you is that if you are already acne prone it will clog every single pore with gunk from the inside out. Seriously - I ended up with cystic acne with hard white cores in them that needed to be extracted by my derm. One of them even made a tiny icepick scar. I had sebaceous filaments sticking out of my chin to the point where they were above the surface of the skin and excess sebum literally oozing out of my pores.

I am only giving this two stars because it did make my hair grow. However, who cares if you have long hair if your skin is a mess....never again.

Broke me out in 3 days! Gave me a huge cystic spot and a few other little gems. I bought the gummies for my hair because it's very long but it sheds a lot so I thought biotin would help with that. Sadly I will never know because you couldn't pay me to take it again! I took 2500mcgs with food and tons of water and within 3 days and I didn't change my skin care regime I got 2 painful spots that are going away now. But the huge one still here! I'm drinking water like mad to flush this out of me. It's a good vitamin and I probably needed a lower dose. Now though I don't want to find out. The zit I have right now is so not worth loosing a couple of hairs. Just do your research before you take this that would be my advice from my experience with it.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

Not sure if it works.. my hair grows pretty fast and i lose a reasonable amount in the shower which i attribute to hair shedding. Not sure if it was the biotin that did it, but i dont see a reason to stop taking it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took biotin for 2 months. I would take one 1000mcg tablet 3x per day (one with each meal). I have adult hormonal acne, and biotin did not affect my skin. I didn't notice any immediate results, so I stopped taking it. About 2 1/2 - 3 months later, I noticed my fingernails were growing longer and thicker. I used to have thin nails that split/cracked easily. Now they are beautiful. I will definitely start taking the biotin again because it helps my fingernails A LOT!

on 12/30/2014 10:05:00 PM

I used several brands, thinking maybe the brand wasn't that great. I was wrong. Biotin and me just don't mix well.

First, I experienced triple the breakouts. I already have acne prone skin so you can imagine having that tripled. HORRIBLE! I decided to wait thinking it'll get better. I read online that you're supposed to drink a ton of water to not break out. I drank a ton of water, but was still breaking out. After a month or two, my breakouts were not as bad but still. As someone who already had acne, having more acne (even if its just a few) is a huge deal to me.

To make things worse, my hair, nails, and skin, did not improve. Everything was pretty much the exact same.

I'd say try it, it may work for you!

on 12/30/2014 9:33:00 AM

I've been taking biotin for two months now (1.000 mcg capsules by solgar). First I started with one capsule a day (i was afraid of acne breakouts) and after three weeks with no ugly sideffects I doubled the dose. I can see big difference in my hair structure. it used to be extremly thin and now it is basically doubled in volume. It also grows fasetr than usual, but my main goal was the volume, not the length so i don't pay much attention to it :)
Everybody notices how my hair is shiny and looking very healthy. I will definitely continue to use the capsules, and i will boost my dosage to 3.000 mcg a day.
I believe your drastic breakouts occure because you take too high doses and basically shock your skin. Start slowly and work your way up to the satisfactory dose.
You still get your results with lower dosages, it just takes a bit more time (but worth it, since your skin does not go zombie style).

on 10/28/2014 7:30:00 PM

In a nutshell, Biotin makes me breakout like crazy (it starts slow and gets severe within a few weeks), does nothing for my nails (a good quality fish oil and zinc, on the other hand...), and the only hair that it seems to help grow is the hair on my upper lip. Beware. It is also known as vitamin B7, and is found in B-complex supplements.

Other supplements to try first for your Hair, Skin and Nail health:
Now Foods Ultra Omega-3 (I recommend this one in particular because it's inexpensive, potent, and rates high for purity)
MSM
Zinc Picolinate
A+D (from cod liver oil, benefits skin)
Borage Oil