Biotin (All brands)

Filtered by hair type : Straight
 Biotin (All brands)
Biotin 2 weeks growth (I take Biotin 10000mcg daily)

3.6

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've used various brands and formats over the years, and I really can't tell that biotin supplementation does anything for me, even after several months of sustained daily dosing. Since I eat red meat frequently, I'm probably getting plenty of biotin that way. It's definitely something to consider if you don't eat meat (although I don't know how or from what it's made, so you'll want to check into that if you're keeping a vegetarian or vegan diet).

on 1/15/2016 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

1/15/2016: My New Years resolution this year was to SLAY from head to toe. So I started with my hair. I have 3B/C type hair that recently has been looking a little thin and dull. It also hasn't grown much either. So of course, I discovered Biotin while searching for hair care help online. After doing more research and realizing that this was what I needed, I went out to my local health foods store and picked up a bottle of NOW Biotin 1000 mcg capsules for 8 bucks.

Now, I must be honest, I only purchased this last week. At first I was taking one pill a day (to start off slow) but on the 3rd day I noticed two pimples had popped up to say hello. So moving forward, I'll take 1 pill every other day for the first 2 weeks and then go up from there. I really want Biotin to work for me and I'm doing alI can to help it along, including drinking plenty of water and consuming the pill with a meal. I will update in 2 weeks!!

on 1/14/2016 12:41:00 PM

Backstory: a few months ago I trusted someone to take me from black hair to blonde. Stupid, I know. They ended up RUINING my hair by bleaching it 3 times in one day so I had to cut my long hair to my shoulders. I first started taking fish oil but wanted to switch to biotin since fish oil is large and tastes gross. I bought the nature’s valley 5000 mcg from Walmart because the 2500 mcg bottle said to take 2 daily so I figured I would just get the 5000 mcg and just take the 1 daily. I started beauty school in September, right around when I started taking the fish oil and started having massive breakouts. My teacher said it was from getting a lot of facials and chemicals in the air, but it was bad. I’ve never had painful acne and acne on my neck, it was embarrassing and killed my self-esteem. I was also taking one a day women’s gummy vitamins which had hair and nail support in them. I switched to the biotin approximately 2 months ago and take one daily with half of a hard women’s vitamin. I haven’t noticed any growth in my nails and have noticed some growth in my hair. Fast forward to now, I haven’t taken my biotin as regular for the past few days as I was busy and was also sick. On Saturday, my face completely dried up, no joke. All of the excess oil I’ve been experiencing has disappeared and a lot of the acne and redness I had has dried up and gone. No joke. I didn’t really notice it at first on Saturday because I was busy doing mine and other’s makeup for a wedding but I haven’t worn any makeup the past few days and haven’t really washed my face (bad I know) and I’ve noticed how much clearer and dried up it is (both the excess oil and the acne) I still have some but it is nowhere near what it used to be. I’m almost 100% positive this all was caused by the biotin and fish oil I was taking. I’ve read biotin can make you break out and to drink a ton of water and I already drink a ton of water as it is. I’m going to continue not taking it to see if the rest will disappear and update. My hair has always grown pretty fast so I think I’ll just let it just grow back in naturally without any aids. Not worth the risks.

on 10/15/2015 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I absolutely LOVE this product. I take Spring Valley 5000mcg twice a day! I I have been taking it for 2 or 3 months now and I am so happy with the results. I can notice a small amount of my hair growing and I can really feel a difference, it feels thicker and it feels like I have more hair on my head. I love it. My hair has always been insanely thin and dry and bad, buying expensive JOICO shampoos and other things like morrocan oil only made it soft. but not grow or become thicker. Coconut oil, im not sure that if it just works for some people but it doesnt work for me. I have left it in my hair over night only to wake up having it greasy and feel much drier then it was before. I have always had fast growing nails so this was never an issue, but they are now really strong and really long. The nails are just a bonus as my main reason for taking it is for my hair. I have had to wear extensions forever. I am hoping this will really make a difference for me and eventually i wont have to continue to wear them and wear my natural hair. I am going back to my natural color so then I can stop dying it for months at a time and itll grow. So far so good. Although one thing i did notice is when i first tried it I tried the gummy supplements by nature valley with the gels, and they made me break out like crazy! i havnt touched the package since, i noticed with when taking the straight supplements its been great, small acne but it went away after a week or two then i was fine. I love the price, the only thing that sucks is I have to travel to Maine to get it as we dont have such high dosages in Canada. I am tempted when I travel down south in march to purchase another brand to try but im nervous to experience some acne. But ill continue to take these babies until i run out and have to go back to the usa for more!!

on 9/28/2015 2:38:00 AM

I started taking biotin supplements and immediately noticed that my skin was covered in acne. I normally get a few spots a month but I woke up one morning with 20+ spots. I didn't connect it to the biotin at first because here I though these it would improve my skin and hair. I googled biotin and acne and saw that I wasn't alone. It's definitely not worth it to have nicer hair. Oh and I did drink plenty of water with the biotin and this still happened.

on 7/13/2015 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I am taking the 10,000 mcg and noticing no change at all in my hair or nails. This may be due to menopause. I used Biotin when I was younger and it did seem to help my nails at least. Will keep taking (and hoping). My hair is dry and color-treated and my nails which were awesome once upon a time are peeling and one fingernail keeps splitting down the middle. Can't expect a miracle in a bottle at my age (57).

on 6/10/2015 8:13:00 PM

This review is for the Alive gummies which have biotin in them.I've taking these for about 2 months and they are awesome for hair growth I actually had to start taking one every other day because my hair was growing so quickly. I do see a difference in my nails too but not as much as my hair.If your hair grows slow,try these!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

No change in my hair.

on 11/8/2014 6:44:00 PM

I use the 10,000mcg Biotin capsules, and I do see a difference in my hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows. I'm prone to breakouts, with combination skin, and have had no breakouts since starting this vitamin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'll start off by saying I stopped taking this after 6 weeks due to an acne explosion. On my forehead, cheeks, chin, chest, and back. I don't typically break out in that quantity, especially on my forehead and back, and I've discontinued taking 5,000's + e gummies (hair skin and nails) for ~2 wks, and have noticed a huge improvement. I drink a lot of water due to a low carb diet, but that didn't seem to help.

I was taking this supplement to help with hair loss due to hypothyroid, as well as growing out my pixie. I don't think I took this long enough to see any hair improvement, but I did notice stronger and quicker growing nails. That was awesome, but not enough to make up for the skin issues.

Popular Treatments