Biotin (All brands)

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 Biotin (All brands)
Biotin 2 weeks growth (I take Biotin 10000mcg daily)

3.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've used various brands and formats over the years, and I really can't tell that biotin supplementation does anything for me, even after several months of sustained daily dosing. Since I eat red meat frequently, I'm probably getting plenty of biotin that way. It's definitely something to consider if you don't eat meat (although I don't know how or from what it's made, so you'll want to check into that if you're keeping a vegetarian or vegan diet).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So this definitely does make hair growth increase, and it did improve my overall skin quality, but my facial skin...oh dear.

I had some of the worst cystic acne ever from both biotin supplements and topical biotin in hair products. I also experienced closed comedones on my neck and shoulders, that took months and both exfoliation and extraction to clear up. Unfortunately for me, I used the hair product first, and never connected the acne or bumps to it. I switched products when I ran out and never thought of it again until I tried a biotin supplement and experienced the same issues.

I definitely recommend watching your skin and starting slow with this. I now take prenatal gummies as my multi vitamin since they are one of the few I can find without biotin!

on 5/23/2017 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I take biotin every day. I've had hair loss but thanks to using the highest dose of biotin that is considered safe, my hair has grown longer, stronger and my hair is slowly starting to grow thicker. I love the results.

on 10/24/2016 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff gave me horrible deep cystic acne. I took it for about 4 months before I realized this was what was causing it. After I stopped taking the acne cleared up within a week. I may have never figured it out but I read a review for an acne face wash on amazon and the girl mentioned Biotin ended up being the cause of her acne. So glad I read that! My skin is acne prone to begin with, but not cystic, painful and all over like that. It was a very sad summer :(

on 2/3/2016 10:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Biotin has definitely helped my hair to grow faster, and possibly thicker, though probably not softer or shinier. When I was getting my brown hair bleached regularly, the root regrowth was super crazy, way beyond any normal rate. I've been taking it for about a year now, and it definitely works, but you have to be careful and patient with it. It can cause breakouts and takes a while to work, but it's worth it if you stick with it.

I started at 1000mcg, the lowest possible dose, and started taking both a daily zinc and vitamin b complex supplement (I later increased the dosage for both, but I can't tell of any results yet), a silica supplement, and started drinking a bottle of water a day. If I had any breakouts it was no more noticeable than usual (my acne seems to be mostly hormonal, if that helps). When I ran out, I upped the dose to 3000mcg, then 5000mcg and 10,000mcg, all whilst keeping relatively clear skin (I've since found a cleansing routine that works for me).

I'm currently on a dose of 12,000mcg, but I'll be going back to the 10,000mcg once that's done as I think that gave me the best results. I don't know what would happen if I went up to 20,000mcg.

Don't start with a high dose, and don't give up after two weeks; it took about three months for me to see real results, but my hair is now far better than it was before.

on 10/22/2015 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I use Nature's Bounty 1000 mg (about 8$ at shoppers) and it's done wonders for my hair. Doc recommended it because after my pregnancy my hair was growing slowly and now it's growing at a normal rate and its super shiny and strong. I will keep taking biotin although I do suggest you consult a doctor before you start taking it just in case!

on 10/2/2015 12:27:00 AM

I HATE biotin it ruined my hair, it is insanely thick now, i think it caused nearly every single dormant hair in my hair to start growing, which has completely screwed up the normal cycle of new hairs growing, i have so much hair growing that lots of the hair isn't even normal or like my hairs, which are thick and straight where as now i have millions of extremely thin curly hairs growing everywhere! when i pull them out they look like fluff. not even hair, fluff. no way to thin it since it's all new growth too. I think this product is unnatural and screws with the cycle of your hair. If you have thinning hair i suppose i would recommend it but i would do anything to have never taken biotin. it is the worst, i don't even look like myself anymore.

on 9/28/2015 2:38:00 AM

I started taking biotin supplements and immediately noticed that my skin was covered in acne. I normally get a few spots a month but I woke up one morning with 20+ spots. I didn't connect it to the biotin at first because here I though these it would improve my skin and hair. I googled biotin and acne and saw that I wasn't alone. It's definitely not worth it to have nicer hair. Oh and I did drink plenty of water with the biotin and this still happened.

on 7/13/2015 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I am taking the 10,000 mcg and noticing no change at all in my hair or nails. This may be due to menopause. I used Biotin when I was younger and it did seem to help my nails at least. Will keep taking (and hoping). My hair is dry and color-treated and my nails which were awesome once upon a time are peeling and one fingernail keeps splitting down the middle. Can't expect a miracle in a bottle at my age (57).

on 7/9/2015 12:02:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been taking biotin for 3 weeks, taking two 1,000 mg pills every other day (not for any reason. I forget to take it a lot.). I decided to take it because my nails were so weak i could peel pieces off very easily. A few days ago it hit me just how well it was working. My nails are already stronger and theyve got a nice shine to them! But the biggest difference is my hair! I have frizzy, tangly, weak, curly hair. It had been falling out or breaking easily for awhile and I was trying to solve the problem with products. Biotin was the product that pleasantly surprised me. My hair is still tangly but its also shiny and way less frizzy. It also breaks way less often. Thirdly, my skin. It also has a nice shine/glow now, though my acne and other skin problems are still around. Its not a miracle pill but it will pleasantly surprise you!

Popular Treatments