Biotin (All brands)

Filtered by age: 25-29
 Biotin (All brands)
Biotin 2 weeks growth (I take Biotin 10000mcg daily)

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So this definitely does make hair growth increase, and it did improve my overall skin quality, but my facial skin...oh dear.

I had some of the worst cystic acne ever from both biotin supplements and topical biotin in hair products. I also experienced closed comedones on my neck and shoulders, that took months and both exfoliation and extraction to clear up. Unfortunately for me, I used the hair product first, and never connected the acne or bumps to it. I switched products when I ran out and never thought of it again until I tried a biotin supplement and experienced the same issues.

I definitely recommend watching your skin and starting slow with this. I now take prenatal gummies as my multi vitamin since they are one of the few I can find without biotin!

Hi Ladies!

I've been using biotin for just over month now, so I feel like it's a fair time to write a review.

*This may be long - I have some venting to do. ;)

I started taking biotin due to weak, shedding hair, as I read from many sources online (including MA) that this is supposed to work wonders on the hair.

A little background. I am American, with fair skin, light eyes, & fine, medium blonde hair.
I've been living in Asian countries for the past 4 years, Thailand, Singapore & now Hong Kong. Firstly, let me tell you this, if you have a hairdresser that takes care of you and gives you what exactly what you want.. Give her/him a big kiss the next time you go to get your locks pampered. Asian hairdressers, although they can be amazing with their own hair type, seldom know how to work with Caucasian hair. I go in for partial highlights every 6 months, and some how they always find a way to either burn my hair or cut it into some weird Korean style that I end up hating. Of course, there are western hairstylist, but they end up costing me a small fortune and I could never quite justify paying 800 US dollars just for a few highlights and a cut.

After my work in Singapore, I decided to travel in India for a few months. In that time, I was washing my hair every few days. No hair dryer, curling iron, flat iron or styling products. The overall health of my hair improved dramatically, although the bottom half was still quite weak from all the over-processing.

After India, I moved to Hong Kong and I had massive grow-out. I didn't trust anyone to work with my blonde hair, and damage it further. So, I decided to be bold and go "Emma Stone Red", I though it would give my hair a nice break from bleach. WRONG! I ended up at a salon where 4 hairstylist worked on 10 people's hair simultaneously. :( Sigh.... My hair was a dark, auburn red on top, and dirty dishwater brown on the bottom (the over-processed part).
as a couple weeks have gone by, the color has faded quite a bit, and it's all an even color now... ALL dirty dishwater brown. I was shedding like crazy when showering, brushing or even just running my fingers through.. I don't know how I still have hair on my head.

So, once again, I decided not to stress my hair and just leave it as is for awhile, until I can go to a proper salon and have it fixed. I am staying away from heating tools, and just let it air dry. -I've stocked up on headbands & scarves. :)

Alright to the biotin. I take one 5,000 mcg tablet every morning with my breakfast and drink a liter of water within the first hour of swallowing the pill.

The first week, I noticed my nails were significantly stronger.

I started pooping like 4 times day.

I've lost a few pounds.. Won't complain about that.

From the first week until now, I am thirsty all the time. Like, thirsty thirsty. I drink about a gallon and a half a water a day, which is good, considering you need to stay hydrated and drink plenty if water while taking biotin.

My energy is much higher, although that may be contributed to a couple of other life-style changes, so it's hard to say if biotin is 100% responsible.

Fast forward to now, one month later

I started noticing a difference in my hair a couple days ago.. Not on my head. :)
I like to keep my vajay smooth and hair free. But, the other night, I noticed that I suddenly grew a 70s bush, almost overnight! HA! Also, my legs were more prickly than they've ever been! So, after a little hair-control and panic, I noticed my hair (on my head) was so much softer and shinier! I also see that there's a lot less hair in my hair brush and the bathtub!
YAY! I love when I start seeing the results I was hoping for! Again, I only started noticing results in regards to my hair a couple days ago, so I'll write an updated review in a month or two.

My skin did get a couple breakouts, nothing I can't get under control. Plus, usually when you add something new to the chemistry of your body, you can react. I am going to wait it out and let my body adjust, no biggie. I see a lot of people on here are saying they are giving up because a sudden breakout of acne. That's bananas! Be patient, be a trooper, wait it out! Give yourself a 3 month time-frame, then decide if you want to proceed with these supplements. in most cases your body WILL adjust and your skin will not only clear up, but improve in texture and tone!

I'm still pooping a lot.

My energy level is still through the roof, which I like, gives me more motivation to get in the gym.

My appetite is non existent. I only know when I'm hungry when I start to get weak or mean (lol). Again, no complaints here, I've set up an eating schedule to make sure I'm keeping my body well-nourished.

In conjunction with the biotin, I also take Omega-3 and Silica. As well as juicing dark green veggies, carrots & oranges every day. Also, I now have much cleaner diet. There's a noticeable difference in my skin, and I'm sure it's doing positive things for my hair as well.

Thanks for reading my ramblings! Best of luck to you on your biotin journey!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My experience with biotin was a little different from a lot of the reviews I read before trying so I wanted to share...
Started taking to try to improve my hair, which was looking thin, flat, and growing super slowly after pregnancy. I have taken it for 3 weeks and noticed no improvement in hair anywhere on my body, and have had a few small breakouts. What causes me to give biotin 4 lippies is it surprised me and healed a very old acne scar (from a rogue derm removing a blackhead). It looked like a very dark dent on my cheek and I had tried a million things to try to get rid of it and nothing helped much. After 4 days I noticed improvement, after 7 I had a small break out and suspended use. It has been 3 weeks since starting and my scar is essentially gone!

I was taking biotin (the cheapo one from wal mart) in conjunction with a daily dose of wheat grass, a tablespoon of gelatin, 2 barleans fish oil caps, and plenty of water. Additionally, I wash my face with plain hot water, use the DHC Olive Virgin oil if I need to remove makeup or have a super sweaty day, and moisturize with castor oil. The biotin was the only recent change prior to the scar lightening, but thought I would mention everything just in case there is some magical combo happening. Hope this helps someone!

on 10/13/2015 9:57:00 AM

I have seen quite a few negative reviews on biotin. I just want to say that you need to make sure you start out with a low dosage! Everyone is going to react differently to biotin so it is important to start at a low dosage to see how your body responds to the supplement. Also it is completely unnatural to take extremely high doses of biotin, your body doesn't need that much. That being said I take 2500mcg and have experienced zero side effects, just shinier and waiver hair. So if you are desperate for hair growth just start at a low dosage and see how you react to it, if your body can handle it then up the dosage! I hope this is helpful :)

on 3/7/2015 9:42:00 AM

I was skeptical about taking biotin it just seemed too good to be true. I was also worried because I have acne prone skin and everyone was saying it broke them out. I wanted to take biotin for hair growth because I got a hair cut that was very short and I didn't like it. I love biotin! I have been taking it about 1 month now and have noticed a huge difference in many things. With my hair I have noticed about 1 inch of new growth since my hair cut. I do have to say my hair does grow extremely fast on its own and that could also be why. I have also noticed that my "fly aways" or frizz in my hair is growing into a normal long hair! I am super happy about that! The biggest difference I have noticed is in my skin believe it or not. Everyone is saying that they broke out from this....my skin cleared up! I have been battling adult acne for years and have used a few products that helped but this litterally just made it go away. I am shocked I expected a crazy breakout from other reviews. I am also taking the biotin with fish oil and I drink 3 liters of water a day. I have noticed a massive difference in my nails also my nails are growing like a weed and are strong and aren't peeling like they used to! I am very impressed with this product. to review I'm taking: biotin 5000 mcg- vegan capsule from a health food store. fish oil 500 mg 3 liters (at least) of water a day but I'm 5 foot 10 inches if you're short you could do like 2 liters.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

Not sure if it works.. my hair grows pretty fast and i lose a reasonable amount in the shower which i attribute to hair shedding. Not sure if it was the biotin that did it, but i dont see a reason to stop taking it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took biotin for 2 months. I would take one 1000mcg tablet 3x per day (one with each meal). I have adult hormonal acne, and biotin did not affect my skin. I didn't notice any immediate results, so I stopped taking it. About 2 1/2 - 3 months later, I noticed my fingernails were growing longer and thicker. I used to have thin nails that split/cracked easily. Now they are beautiful. I will definitely start taking the biotin again because it helps my fingernails A LOT!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'll start off by saying I stopped taking this after 6 weeks due to an acne explosion. On my forehead, cheeks, chin, chest, and back. I don't typically break out in that quantity, especially on my forehead and back, and I've discontinued taking 5,000's + e gummies (hair skin and nails) for ~2 wks, and have noticed a huge improvement. I drink a lot of water due to a low carb diet, but that didn't seem to help.

I was taking this supplement to help with hair loss due to hypothyroid, as well as growing out my pixie. I don't think I took this long enough to see any hair improvement, but I did notice stronger and quicker growing nails. That was awesome, but not enough to make up for the skin issues.

on 8/22/2014 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I've been taking biotin for about a month now, and while my nails are certainly growing faster, they haven't really been any stronger. My hair grows pretty quickly so it was hard to tell if it's had any effect.

I'm going to finish the bottle - another month's worth - and update my review then, but so far I'm not convinced. I'll probably just switch to a multivitamin that contains biotin (if I can find one that agrees with me) instead of buying an entirely different supplement just for this.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love Biotin!! I take the 5000 mcg quick dissolve tablets and I love them. I have been taking them daily now for 2 months and have seen about 3 inches of new growth ( I know because I have been keeping track after I cut my over processed hair) My bf has even noticed the difference in how full my hair has gotten. It's made my nails really healthy because when I started I had just taken off acrylics and my nails were so thin now they are hard as a rock! As far as acne, I have really bad acne prone skin so I made sure to drink tons of water and have not seen anything abnormal as far as my skin goes but I do think the key is to drink lots of water:)