Selsun Blue - Anti-Dandruff Shampoo

Selsun Blue - Anti-Dandruff Shampoo

Selenium Sulfide - 1 %Antidandruff Inactive Ingredients Water , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , TEA Lauryl Sulfate , Ammonium Laureth Sulfate , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Magnesium Aluminum Silicate , Fragrance , Menthol , Cocamide DEA , DMDM Hydantoin , Citric Acid , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , FD&C Blue No. 1 , D&C Red No. 33 , Sodium Citrate , Sodium Chloride

I had seborrhoeic dermatitis and I use the menthol version of selsun blue. It work wonderfully, my scalp doesn't itch anymore after use and my hair is smooth, it a pity due to its strong chemical, it cant be use everyday permanently.

on 2/22/2014 2:34:00 PM

Hi, I developed a very strange issue with my scalp. Extreme greasiness and smelly scalp. No matter which shampoo I used or how much I washed my scalp felt DIRTY and by the time my hair would be dry my scalp would start to stink soo bad. It was soooo embarrassing. I heard it could be caused by fungus. I became obsessed with finding a shampoo that will actually make my sca scalp clean and get rid of the nasty smell. I tried ALL the antifungal shampoos on the market and for some reason selsun blue was the last and it's the only one that worked. THE NASTY SMELL IS GONE AND MY SCALP IS SOOOOO CLEANED. I am using the selsun blue with 3% sacylic acid as well as the selsun blue with 2.5 % Selenium Sulfide. They don't smell bad inmy opinion. My hair is dry after using but I don't care as long as my scalp is clean and clear of fungus.

To Read all 27 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this product because I was suffering from an itchy and a flaky scalp. I was so embarrassed by scratching my head when I was around my friends so I decided something needed to be done. So, I was looking in the drug store for something strong and fast. Selsun Blue looks just like Head and Shoulders, so I didn't think it would do anything. But let me tell you, I was sure wrong. I could feel a difference after just one wash! My scalp felt itch-free and very clean. The itching didn't come back until 5 days went by. I really recommend this product! Smell isn't that bad, but packaging could be a little more feminine for the ladies. Please make a travel sized product of this!!!

on 6/21/2013 4:46:00 AM

I've actually bought my 2nd bottle on this. I was suffering from itchy oily scalp and hair loss, for over a year. And have tried many different shampoos to battle both - Regaine, Phyto, Rene Furterer etc.

I will say this one works best of all those that I have tried in helping with my oily itchy scalp. It cleaned well, my hair was not dry despite being able to see all that sulfur in the shampoo and using this everyday w/o conditioner. As a bonus, my hair had volume and bounce even. But as I was finishing my first bottle, the effect was starting to wear off. So know I use it for 2 days, and then use something else. The something else is now Audace for dandruff and oily scalp, but it will not recommend it. I am still looking for a better alternative.

One other thing that I find useful is to put fresh aloe vera juice on my scalp and hair. Leave for 10-20 mins, then shampoo off. It leaves my hair extra soft and bouncy and my scalp feeling clean and not itchy.

*** Oct 2014 ***
I have stopped using all these harsh shampoos. I have moved this from 5 lippies to 2. See my other reviews for hair products as well. They tend to work a while, and then, the problems - itch, oil, dryness etc - comes back with a vengeance.

I use theraneem as well as another one called CRP recommended by my doctor.

Hi everyone.I have been using this product for years! I'm 22yrs old.i tried everything from A-Z it seemed liked.Finally I found this stuff and the only one that works the best for me is the ----> selsun blue medicated <----. Again like other users said,it doesn't smell the best but it works the best!You will not see dramatic results after 1 use.it takes about 2-4 days for it to work at its peak, but its worth it!After that....NO FLAKES or itchiness!sometimes they have $1 off coupons attached to them.I think Walmart is the cheapest place to buy them for bout $8-9 but you will usually find them in grocery stores for around $9-10.So if your looking for dandruff shampoo BUY THIS!

on 6/2/2012 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I've been using Selsun Blue for a few years now for my dry, itchy scalp. My dermatologist said it'd be a good fit for me, and she mentioned that I really do have seborrheic dermatitis. Selsun Blue has worked just fine and I can tell the difference in terms of increased itchiness and increased flakiness if I skip using it for a week. I even considered taking it with me to the salon so that they'd use it on my hair. If this were 2 years ago, I'd give this 5 lippies for helping resolve my condition. However, the intense itchiness has returned and I think it's just that my scalp has gotten too used to the Selsun Blue so it's not working as well as it has in the past. Oh well. Def worth a try though, if you've never used it before. Plus I think Selsun Blue's active ingredient works way better than pyrithione zinc dandruff control products (well, at least it does for me). On to the next thing!

on 5/16/2012 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Uggghhh... love hate relationship with this product! First of all, it works SUPER well... leaves my hair nice and clean and soft and shiny and gets rid of the flakes that I have around the crown of my head... HOWEVER the smell is appalling. APPALLING! I can't stand it. It smells very masculine but NOT in a sexy way.. in more of an 'I'm an old man that uses anti-dandruff shampoo' kind of way which is NOT what ladies want to smell like (fine for the guys tbh). The smell wouldn't be such a problem if it didn't linger in my hair ALL day (seriously, 8 hours)... as my hair starts to dry and starts to look better, the smell just gets worse and worse. I normally don't like overly fragranced products, but this shampoo seriously needs *something* to mask the disgusting smell. I would love to give this product 5 lippies as it works so well, but I can't because of the awful, awful smell.

on 4/29/2012 10:06:00 AM

Selson Blue works well (I wont use the menthol formula, though) however I cannot use it on a regular basis because of the sulfur. Your head will smell like poop after washing and other people around you can easily smell it, too. It even stinks up my pillowcase.

on 4/16/2012 11:07:00 PM

My Husband is the one with the dandruff issue. I on ther other had had the hair fall issue. After every shower, a trail of hair. It was BAD. Well I was in the shower and realized I had run out of my regular stuff. I saw the Selsun Blue & figured oh well can't wait doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Let me tell you from the first use no hair in the shower. My THIN FINE hair was full of body & volume. 3 months later my hair is very healthy, there is NO HAIR FALL ISSUE what so ever, And the bonus is that my hair seemed to grow quicker. LOVE this stuff. Oh and by the way..... for those facial acne break out.... use it as a face wash & it will clear your acne up. Use some aveeno lotion after to mosturize,

I have mixed feelings about this product. It used to cure my dandruff very effectively but doesn't seem to work any longer. I'm not sure whether it is because I over-used it over the years but it now causes my scalp to flare-up even worse than when I don't use it. Because it once worked (and may I add very well!!) for me I have to give it 3 lippies. Not a re-purchase for me, unfortunately.

Popular Shampoos