Everyday Minerals Tinted Silk Dust [DISCONTINUED]

Everyday Minerals Tinted Silk Dust  [DISCONTINUED]

4.1

Not tested on animals

on 10/5/2008 2:13:00 PM

I bought this to use as a primer &/or setting powder for my MMU. It has great oil control, but I'm only slightly oily, so I think it is a bit too much for my skin. It's OK as a primer, but I've moved on the to the Start to Finish powders or the Fyrinnae Rice Powder Primer. I do still use the Silk Dust as a touch up during the day, but sometimes it can go on kind of chalky and hard to blend over my MMU, while other times it leaves a nice polished finish. I will finish up what I have, but I'm not terribly upset it was dc'd.

on 9/19/2008 3:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is actually for the "Tinted Silk Finishing Powder" as the old Silk Dust was discontinued. I actually prefer this version, because it controls oil better on my skin, but I liked the old Silk Dust as well. On a normal workday, I only use concealer where needed, then swipe some Silk all over. I look just polished enough without too much effort. I think the term "tinted" is a little misleading though. The powder may have a tint to it, but it won't make your skin look bronzed or anything. My skin is pretty fair, and it blends in perfectly. I used to carry a compact and touch up my powder every couple hours just to keep from looking too oily. I go all day with the Silk Dust, and while I'm not totally matte throughout the day, my skin looks NORMAL.

on 9/9/2008 10:38:00 AM

I bought this primarily as a primer after reading how much luck people had with sandwiching foundation between two layers of this. Well, I tried that and I did not find that my foundation lasted any longer. Further more, too much of the Silk Dust (and especially applied directly on the skin) was a bit drying in the long run - and my skin is actually very oily! I guess that the black currant powder must have made it that way, because this silk dust is much more grainier and coarse that the original silk dust which was _supposedly_ pure silk. I tried applying it before bed as a skin treatment, but nothing special happened. My favourite use for this, really, was as a blotting powder. It is great at controlling oil! I would have bought it again for this purpose - although it is no HG of mine - but it has since been discontinued on the EDM website.

I am very surprised to see that this product has the same results as my beloved BE's Mineral Veil! It is super cheap too! The tint in this silk dust is very light it adds a glow to your face. This is very great for a face primer too. I am so happy that I found out about Everyday Minerals. I am a college student and can't always spend a fortune on makeup. I was very skeptical at first because the prices are so cheap. But after ordering the sample kit I totally converted to EDM!

on 6/26/2008 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is one of my favorite primer and finishing powders!!! At first, I thought, this lightly tinted product would leave a ghostly cast on my MMM/ light CCC... but that didn't happen. In fact, it adds no color whatsoever. It also doesn't change the color of my foundation product. No break-outs.... I have oily skin and while this helps it does not completely eliminate blotting and re-powdering, by mid-day. (No big deal!! I carry a small-sized jar in my purse.)

Drawbacks: I have to buy this online. I also would prefer if the sifter could be closed off mechanically, as to not spill so much powder into the lid during travel. (I've rigged my jar so it won't make a mess in my purse...)

UPDATE: Unfortunately, this product has been discontinued! :( Now, I'm on the look-out for a replacement.

on 6/24/2008 5:39:00 PM

It gives a great finish on top of my mineral makeup. It does a decent job of keeping my oilyness at bay. I can wait an hour longer than before to blot my nose. I prefer this over the Finishing Dust. The color of the Finishing Dust looked a bit off on me.

on 6/19/2008 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product was great for controlling oil. My face usually gets very shiny by the end of the day, and the silk dust reduced the oil by half. However, I had a very common, negative reaction to the silk powder, and that's why I'm taking one lippie off. A few minutes after applying the dust to my face, I got a "tight" feeling and then a very unpleasant itchy/ burning feeling on the areas where I had applied the silk dust. At first, I thought I had buffed too much and irritated my skin, but then I found the culprit to be the silk dust because I tried to use it as an eyeshadow primer and my eyelids had the same reaction to it. I'm also taking another lippie off because the silk powder has a lot of inconsistencies. Sometimes it blends well into the skin, and sometimes the particles are too big to be buffed into your face--all from one jar.

If I weren't sensitive to the silk, I would continue to use and repurchase the silk dust because it really improved the oil production on me face. Unfortunately, I cannot use it so I won't buy it again and will have to throw the jar away. EDIT: It looks like the silk dust is only good for about a year after opening, so I threw mine away.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I have the tinted version which works well even on my PPP skin. But overall this is disappointing. This offers no oil control for me. It somehow manages to upset my SD and make me even oilier! OK for touchups but the nice matte finish does not last much longer than a couple of hours.

on 5/30/2008 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This is essential. I originally only got it for it's amino-acids and anti-bacterial properties, but EM foundations on their own don't last that long since they have minimal ingredients, compared to other powders like L.A. Minerals or Studio Fix which have finishing built into them. And it really does work too - before or after foundation (I don't do both), it will make anything last longer and help control oil, but a finisher powder might work better. It has never really made me look flawless however, that might just be a gimmick. Silk dust is the first ingredient, so it's pure.

Oddly, the tinted version is invisible. Haven't tried the untinted, which supposedly leaves people white or lighter, though I think it's good to have that option. Some shades of matte or intensive are darker (compared to original glo or semi-matte) and the untinted could counteract it if you needed it to.

Texture wise, I don't see what everybody is talking about. Sure, it looks a bit grainy when it's still in the container, but on a brush it is extremely fine. It's definitely noticeable on it's own, and more so when compared to any EM foundation. To see for yourself, put a lot on a brush and tap it back into the container. Extra finely milled powders aren't good for you anways. They're unnatural and are toxic (WebMD confirmed), so EM is doing us a favor and staying true to their mission.

on 5/24/2008 4:39:00 AM

I use light and golden medium Original Glo foundation powder and have combination skin with fine lines.

I use just a dusting of this down my nose and across my forehead after my foundation powder, to control shine. I wasn't really impressed with it as a primer (maybe I was too pumped up in my expectations by the fabulous reviews), and would have ditched it as not worth the extra step, but luckily I noticed that just a bit does an incredible job of controlling shine as the day wears on (otherwise I inevitably have a shiny shiny nose come midday). The color is not noticeable on me.

The cons: as with all of the other loose powders in the containers presently used, you can't bring this in your bag for touchups without getting it all over the place. Also, weirdly, it clings to the hairs on the skin of my nose. Now, I didn't even notice that I had hairs on my nose (I don't have a lot of body hair), but apparently I do, very very fine and tiny ones, and the powder makes these otherwise-invisible hairs suddenly highlighted. So I need to be careful about brushing it off them with a cotton ball or my finger when I finish. Maybe my makeup mirror is just too magnifying!