Bobbi Brown Powder Brush

Bobbi Brown Powder Brush

3.9

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I think I am over the high end brush need/want. For me, brushes from Real Techniques and It Cosmetics brushes work just as well. This Bobbi Brown Powder Brush is a big disappointment. Yes, the brush looks lovely, classy, like a professional makeup artist's brush. But that is where the 'wow' ends for me (and even that is not much of a 'wow'). I do not find this soft at all, in fact, many of my Real Techniques brushes are just as soft and some It Cosmetics brushes are as soft and even softer. This Bobbi Brown Powder Brush does not seem to pick up product for me as well as some of the other brushes mentioned. Also, The It Cosmetics brushes that are comparable often come with protective individual casing for the actual brush part, which is nice. This Bobbi Brown Powder Brush arrived with that cheap shrink wrap stuff covering the brush, reminds me of the miserable-to-remove plastic wrap on cheap drugstore Wet and Wild lipsticks. This retails for a little over $60.00USD with tax, so to me, this is overpriced and you are likely paying for the name (sorry, jmo!!). The brush looks lovely, feels very nice in the hands, but it's actual performance is just 'okay' for me; not soft at all for me, really. Some harder powder blushes this does not pick up. I love a lot of Bobbi Brown products, but not impressed with this brush. Also does not wash up very easily. *shrug*

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Update (June 2017):
This brush started to shed right after I've posted this review. It became unusable in less than 6 months, very disappointed. Won't buy it again. Lately, lots of people complain about shedding brushes at Bobbi Brown website. I guess they have changed the glue. Some of my four years old brushes are still doing strong while everything I bought last year is already thrown away due to excessive shedding.

Original review:
I own a bunch of Bobbi Brown brushes. I love them, but some hardly can be used as described.
This powder brush is a great brush for applying bronzer and not precise contouring, however, I find it completely unsuitable for power. The head is too small and too tapered.
I use Bobbi Brown bronzer brush to apply powder instead, the bronzer brush is way larger and has rounded head (too large for bronzer, but perfect for powder).
I own these brushes for three years and I do not notice any hair falls. Don't think I will need a replacement in a couple of next years.

on 9/12/2015 6:27:00 AM

This is the worst brush i have ever used. It's soft and has a nice design and everything but..... its' hair keeps on shedding! After 3 months and after 6 washes!!! It is so frustrating to see black hair pieces on your face every time you put on powder. If this keeps on like this i will end up with a stick without any hair on, really it's awful. I will never buy a brush from Bobbi Brown again.

on 4/2/2016 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Surprised with all the negative reviews on this brush. I love this brush! I like the fact it's tapered unlike a lot of other powder brushes I own. It's great for applying my setting powder and it's also good for bronzing and contouring. Bobbi does some great brushes in my opinion.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've had this brush for a few years. Love the tapered shape. Makes application more precise. But it still sheds a bit (not a lot but a few hairs with each use). I'm kinda obsessive about keeping my brushes clean because my skin is hyper reactive, so I wash it routinely with Bobbi Brown Conditioning Brush Cleaner (a very nice product by the way).

But I'm only giving it 3 lippies because it is somewhat scratchy. I have to use the sides to avoid the scratchiness. For the price it should be much softer. Will be looking for a suitable replacement.

on 3/20/2016 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a nice brush very soft to use on the face. However, a word of caution. Each time I use it, bristles come off and I have to pick them off my skin. Very annoying. Also, its a bit long and doesn't fit easily in a handbag. I have this and also the Bobbi Brown Face Blender which doesn't do its job at all.

I would not buy either of them again and will try next for Chanel Brushes. They do what it says on the tin.

Disappointing.

on 11/22/2011 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

While I was applying my setting powder this morning, the brush head of this brush fell off the brush handle. I literally froze in shocked silence as it clattered onto the floor and rolled away. I received this brush as a gift and only started using it a few months ago. I have since washed it 4-5 times in the same manner that I wash all my brushes: I wet only the tips of the bristles, swirl a bit of baby shampoo and then rinse, taking care not to get the area where the bristles are glued to the brush head wet, let alone where the brush head is attached to the handle.

I have a set of brushes from NuSkin that have lasted for more than 5 years with everyday use and washing every 10 days. I have three brushes from Everyday Minerals (concealer, foundation and flat top) that have lasted more than 3 years with everyday use. BOTH are a FRACTION of the horrendous rip-off that Bobbi Brown charges. I am appalled that a brush that retails for US$55-60 could fall apart in a matter of weeks. I will not repurchase this or any of Bobbi Brown's other products.

i have owned this for a year now and it is a great powder brush. it is big but not super big like some of the powder brushes and that is what i like about it. it has a little bit of tapered tip which lets me get around the nose and under the eyes easily. the bristles are very soft, feels similar to my laura mercier blush brush and paula dorf cheek brush. the brush itself is very light. it is quite long and so it is not ideal to travel with but works perfect for me at home, daily use. i recommend getting it at sephora during friends and family sale!

There are some cons to this product like the smell (when it's new), not so soft bristles, extremely long handle and the exorbitant price. I decided to shell out the full price for this brush because I was having a hard time finding a decent powder brush that is suitable for my skin type.

My tzone is extremely oily while the other parts of my face are so dry in contrast. I never used to powder my cheeks because my powder brush would always mess with my foundation especially in my inner cheek area (near the sides of the nose). It would annoy me to no end because it would the makeup there look so red. blotchy and cakey. But this never happened with this powder brush which is why I am so in love with it. The tapered tip makes it easy to place setting powder anywhere on my face. It also doesn't make the powder look cakey at all. I can even use it for my finishing powder (Meteorites).

on 5/11/2014 4:11:00 AM

Hands down the best powder brush. I hesitated buying this first because it seemed a bit little for a powder brush but it is actually quite big. Just perfect. Picks right amount of powder and applies and blends it like no tomorrow. Never sheds or bleed just amazing. Go get it already. (In my country it is 80$ (168₺) so yes it is really expensive but I would buy immediately if it had the same price it has in US)

Popular Makeup Brushes