Clarins Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Clarins Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base

4.3

water - isononyl isononanoate - cyclomethicone - cyclopentasiloxane - methyl methacrylate crosspolymer - butylene glycol - glycerin - cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone - hexyl laurate - polyglyceryl-4 isostearate - silica - sodium chloride - disteardimonium hectorite - polyglyceryl-3 ricinoleate - sorbitan oleate - peg-30 dipolyhydroxystearate - magnesium stearate - polyhydroxystearic acid - alcohol - isopropyl titanium triisostearate - disodium edta - ethylhexyl-glycerin - phenoxyethanol - sorbic acid - triethoxycaprylylsilane - bht. /- ci 77891/titanium dioxide - ci 77019/mica - ci77491/77492/77499/iron oxides.

on 12/19/2017 3:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I bought this because I wanted my eyeshadows to stay on longer. While to application is nice, this one creases. And doesn't last too long either. While it evens out and lightens my quite dark eyelids, it doesn't do much else I'm afraid. Although, the tube does last forever even through a daily use. Mediocre product.

on 2/12/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this product. I wore it under my eyemakeup to a wedding & the reception, I had shimmery eyeshadow and black winged liquid eyeliner, and the base kept my eye makeup on all night. I'm so glad I found this because I've had problems with my makeup smudging down on my bottom lids which makes me look like I have really baggy eyes, which I don't! I'm only 17!

This product also corrects the skintone of my eyes which is a bit darker than the rest of my skin and prevents oiliness which I'm prone to. I only need to use a small amount for great results. I highly recommend this product.

on 1/12/2011 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a really great product. It is the first time I use a primer for my eyeshadow and it keeps my eyeshadow on its place the whole day. I don´t see the colour of the eyeshadow changing only keeping the eyeshaow longer on your eyelids. Would def. buy again !

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

[UPDATED 07/2010]

This looks like Clarins' sort-of-version of the YSL Touche Eclat, but appearances can be deceptive (the one in the red tube is). It's actually a double-duty eye base: to neutralize blue-purple and generally even out colour on the eyelid and in the undereye area. It can then be worn alone, to create an illusion of flawless skin. Or used as a base for shadows and so on to help its staying power and stop it creasing (the product's French name suggests this better - "fixative base for the eyes").

One of four products in Clarins' Instant Light series of "skin-perfectors that deliver incredible radiance." I'll spare you the rest of the purple prose - scepticism and cynicism aside, the product itself is a goodie. As is often the case with Clarins, the sheer plethora of similar-looking products can be confusing. This one's the slim white tube with silvery cap.*

The idea is the same as for BeneFit's F.Y.Eye and MAC Prep+Prime Eye. I found that this version has a far better texture and staying power than other interpretations of the same idea. In that it's moist and remains so - though I do have eye cream on too. It's not greasy and doesn't settle into the crease or slip into eyes and irritate them.

The EPB is available in two shades only; I'm using 00, a light pink with peach undertone. This may well be fine as a base, but is way too limited a colour range for use as a naturalistic product to use on its own. It is currently being used mainly as a base/eyelid discolouration concealer, for everyday purposes.** EPB is also OK in the undereye area: when used right under the lower lashes, I've had zero mascara smudges.

Application: Turning the base twists the product up, and it appears in the middle of the brush at the top. It can be applied with the brush, or deposited on a fingertip, Q-tip or other tool, whatever means suits you best. Pleasant, quite liquid, and happily concentrated. Seems moister than my previous bases (the three mentioned above), especially under the eyes - it's practically invisible there. Doesn't move at all, no balling on application, and later on, no creasing, drying out, or changing colour. Stays on like that, perfectly, all day. And while swimming.

An approximate thumbs up, and recommended with reservations (see below); as ever, do try before you buy, and Clarins ladies are usually lovely and often helpful.

Cons: (1) Non-nice price. For a grand total of 2 ml/0.07 oz, it's EUR 20.00 / GBP 18.00 / USD 24.00. But you don't need to use very much.

(2) Hit or miss on the one and only shade - and there are better plain concealers out there, if wearing this alone.

(3) Some alternatives: Laura Mercier Secret Concealer #1, TheBalm Time Balm (less peachy-pink: try the Lighter than Light or the Light). It and the LM have a waxier texture, are moister, and work out cheaper.

INGREDIENTS: water - isononyl isononanoate - cyclomethicone - cyclopentasiloxane - methyl methacrylate crosspolymer - butylene glycol - glycerin - cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone - hexyl laurate - polyglyceryl-4 isostearate - silica - sodium chloride - disteardimonium hectorite - polyglyceryl-3 ricinoleate - sorbitan oleate - peg-30 dipolyhydroxystearate - magnesium stearate - polyhydroxystearic acid - alcohol - isopropyl titanium triisostearate - disodium edta - ethylhexyl-glycerin - phenoxyethanol - sorbic acid - triethoxycaprylylsilane - bht. +/- ci 77891/titanium dioxide - ci 77019/mica - ci77491/77492/77499/iron oxides.

* Che confusione ... The other Instant Light concoctions are:

--- the Complexion Perfector (a shimmery base/highlighter),

--- the Perfecting Touch (a concealer: a bit like YSL Touche Éclat),

--- and the Lip Perfector (a lip base).

Clarins also have an Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch (a siliconey line- and pore-reducing base), in a wider white tube.

Worse still, the Eye Perfecting Base (our friend here) and the Perfecting Touch (the concealer) are both slim brush-tipped pen devices. The latter is red. This one here that's the subject of this review is white.

And all the writing on the products is rather small. Sorry: discreet and sophisticated.

** Issue here: pale eyelids with freckles and a lot of blueness, and similar blue patches in the corner under the eye and next to the nose, where the skin is very thin--curses on really thin skin, every blood vessel is visible, and the eyes rolling around underneath when closed... maybe too much detail this close to Hallowe'en. Salmon-peaches neutralise blue-purples. continued >>