CLARINS Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
CLARINS Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base

3.4

water - isononyl isononanoate - cyclomethicone - cyclopentasiloxane - methyl methacrylate crosspolymer - butylene glycol - glycerin - cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone - hexyl laurate - polyglyceryl-4 isostearate - silica - sodium chloride - disteardimonium hectorite - polyglyceryl-3 ricinoleate - sorbitan oleate - peg-30 dipolyhydroxystearate - magnesium stearate - polyhydroxystearic acid - alcohol - isopropyl titanium triisostearate - disodium edta - ethylhexyl-glycerin - phenoxyethanol - sorbic acid - triethoxycaprylylsilane - bht. /- ci 77891/titanium dioxide - ci 77019/mica - ci77491/77492/77499/iron oxides.

on 2/11/2015 3:33:00 PM

I bought this product, because I wanted a primer that evens out skin tone and makes eye makeup go on more evenly. This product comes in a handy tube with a tiny opening, which is fine, as a little goes a very long way. There is only one color available. The primer applies easily, as it has a quite creamy texture. I used it on its own, and in combination with Clarins Ombre Matte and applied both times just the tiniest bit with my fingertips. Before applying the eyeshadow, I let it sink in for a moment. Both times the result seemed to be just what I was looking for: smooth eyelids which had an evened-out tone - although the color is too pinkish for my liking when I used it on its own on my winter-bleak skin. Eyeshadow applies very well and even, the primer makes it easy to layer without creating blotchy spots. The downside came just a few hours afterwards: both times, used on its own and together with eyeshadow, it wandered towards the crease and the rim of my eyes, into my eyes and on my contact lenses. This never happened to me before when using eye creams and/or shadows. I tried it afterwards repeatedly, using lesser and lesser, unfortunately always with the same result. There is still a nearly full tube of a product that in my opinion is a total waste.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

Clarins recently reformulated this product. I was looking for something to help keep my eyeshadow in place, so at the drugstore today, I had the Clarins sales lady try some of this on one of my eyelids, and use the new "Ombre Matt" eyeshadows over both eyelids. Four hours later, the eyeshadow on both lids was migrating to the creases. Eight hours later, there was no eyeshadow left on either eyelid EXCEPT in the crease.

What a waste of a product.

on 6/4/2010 6:36:00 PM

I LOVE this eye base! It works so well, I love that it is a natural skin tone and blends into the skin so you get a more true color for the eyeshadow once applied. Best eye shadow base I've ever used.

I have very sensitive eyelids that get irritated easily and this hasn't once irritated my eyes. I'm very satistfied with it. I find that you twist the wand about 3-4 times for my eyes and just apply the brush directly to the eyelid. Then I blend it in with my finger. It doesn't crease at all if blended well.

on 12/27/2009 4:51:00 AM

I have been using it for over a month now. I was hoping to be able to use it on its own, but it creases almost immediately and the peachy color of the product (I have no. 00 - nude), doesn’t give a bright look to the eye area. I was getting a better result by applying a regular concealer.
It creases a little less when applied with an eye shadow, but still creases. Funny enough, I was able to achieve minimal creasing only after applying face powder on top of it.
On the plus side, the package is convenient and the product did not irritate my eyes.

Water, isononyl isononanoate, cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, methyl methacrylate crosspolymer, butylene glycol, glycerin, cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone, hexyl laurate, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, silica, sodium chloride, disteardimonium hectorite, polyglyceryl-3 ricinoleate, sorbitan oleate, peg-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, magnesium stearate, polyhydroxystearic acid, alcohol, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, disodium edta, ethylhexyl-glycerin, phenoxyethanol, sorbic acid, triethoxycaprylylsilane, bht.
+/- titanium dioxide, iron oxides

on 6/10/2009 1:05:00 PM

Probably my favorite product right now! I absolutely love this stuff. I have fair skin and my eyelids normally are a web of purple capillaries, and the Instant Light base covers that all up so it just looks ... normal! I went to Clarins for wedding day makeup recommendations and I am SO glad she sold me this product. I have been using it almost faithfully for over 2 years. I say 'almost' because the last time I ran out, I decided to try a drugstore brand (don't remember what it was, something generic, but it was $10) and absolutely hated it. The Clarins is just a better product and brand. I found that three clicks works for me for both eyes - I spread on my ring fingers and lightly sweep across each lid and up to the brow bone. My eyeshadow (nothing dramatic, just a light brown) stays all day without creasing, and my eyelids never look greasy. I have recommended this product to all of my friends and my mother as the one product I couldn't go without (that's saying a lot - I have dark undereye circles!). The color is even good for me to use as a base for stubborn red pimples - I dab the Instant Light on, then dot my concealer over it and it stays covered almost all day. Love it!

on 4/2/2009 11:38:00 AM

I have came to the conclusion I don't really care for this product. On the one hand my eye makeup looks like it was just applied and it looks good for 12+ hours. This is even better than UDPP for me for this. Buuuuut since it only comes in that ghastly salmon-pink color it changes every e/s I wear as well. It turned my gorgeous pastel pink e/s yesterday into a bright peach. It was just too dark for my PPP complexion. (I'm a MAC NW15, Px Camellia for reference.) Using this as a concealer was definitely out since it was so dark. Plus the little sample I received from Clarins on a foil peel-back got thick within two days of usage. I like it for the staying power, hate it for the color.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I thought this would be just like the instant light for the face because of the white tube- I thought the red tubes were more like touche eclat, but in reality this is like a liquid version of Mac Painterly Paint Pot- a drying, salmony base. I can only use this on my lids and not under or in the lower corners like I would touche eclat. I was hoping this would be a lighter color and texture and not a udpp dupe.
I like this just fine, but I like Painterly a lot better, and it is cheaper, especially taking into account price versus quantity- this is too expensive for such a small amount of product, and this coming from a girl who buys Sisley. IWill keep this in my purse for touchups, but will not rebuy.

on 2/29/2008 7:04:00 AM

This is a primer base for eye-makeup, not a highlighter. Just the packaging is like YSL Touche Eclat, a pen with a brush.
As previous reviewers said, it is a pale pink-beige tint, easy to apply, fixes makeup quite well and doesn't dry up the eyelids.
Regarding that it s a rather tiny pen product lasts for a really long time. I purchased it in July 2007, and still have it - and I use it every day.

on 2/29/2008 6:12:00 AM

This product is like YSL Touche Eclat but also works as a primer base for eyelid and can help the the color payoff and staying power of e/s. It has only one shade( a pale beige pink), so I guess could only be used by fair or fair-medium group of people. I am in that range so I find this product really perfect for me, even better than YSL TE( being bright enough, yet completely natural---really melt into my skintone). It really instantly bright up and prep the eye area. Stops my e/s from creasing, and helps the color payoff. It doesn't cause any dry lines to occur even after long hours of wearing. The price is also much more reasonable than YSL's. I would repurchase it again and again. It really works for me!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

[UPDATED 07/2010]

This looks like Clarins' sort-of-version of the YSL Touche Eclat, but appearances can be deceptive (the one in the red tube is). It's actually a double-duty eye base: to neutralize blue-purple and generally even out colour on the eyelid and in the undereye area. It can then be worn alone, to create an illusion of flawless skin. Or used as a base for shadows and so on to help its staying power and stop it creasing (the product's French name suggests this better - "fixative base for the eyes").

One of four products in Clarins' Instant Light series of "skin-perfectors that deliver incredible radiance." I'll spare you the rest of the purple prose - scepticism and cynicism aside, the product itself is a goodie. As is often the case with Clarins, the sheer plethora of similar-looking products can be confusing. This one's the slim white tube with silvery cap.*

The idea is the same as for BeneFit's F.Y.Eye and MAC Prep+Prime Eye. I found that this version has a far better texture and staying power than other interpretations of the same idea. In that it's moist and remains so - though I do have eye cream on too. It's not greasy and doesn't settle into the crease or slip into eyes and irritate them.

The EPB is available in two shades only; I'm using 00, a light pink with peach undertone. This may well be fine as a base, but is way too limited a colour range for use as a naturalistic product to use on its own. It is currently being used mainly as a base/eyelid discolouration concealer, for everyday purposes.** EPB is also OK in the undereye area: when used right under the lower lashes, I've had zero mascara smudges.

Application: Turning the base twists the product up, and it appears in the middle of the brush at the top. It can be applied with the brush, or deposited on a fingertip, Q-tip or other tool, whatever means suits you best. Pleasant, quite liquid, and happily concentrated. Seems moister than my previous bases (the three mentioned above), especially under the eyes - it's practically invisible there. Doesn't move at all, no balling on application, and later on, no creasing, drying out, or changing colour. Stays on like that, perfectly, all day. And while swimming.

An approximate thumbs up, and recommended with reservations (see below); as ever, do try before you buy, and Clarins ladies are usually lovely and often helpful.

Cons: (1) Non-nice price. For a grand total of 2 ml/0.07 oz, it's EUR 20.00 / GBP 18.00 / USD 24.00. But you don't need to use very much.

(2) Hit or miss on the one and only shade - and there are better plain concealers out there, if wearing this alone.

(3) Some alternatives: Laura Mercier Secret Concealer #1, TheBalm Time Balm (less peachy-pink: try the Lighter than Light or the Light). It and the LM have a waxier texture, are moister, and work out cheaper.

INGREDIENTS: water - isononyl isononanoate - cyclomethicone - cyclopentasiloxane - methyl methacrylate crosspolymer - butylene glycol - glycerin - cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone - hexyl laurate - polyglyceryl-4 isostearate - silica - sodium chloride - disteardimonium hectorite - polyglyceryl-3 ricinoleate - sorbitan oleate - peg-30 dipolyhydroxystearate - magnesium stearate - polyhydroxystearic acid - alcohol - isopropyl titanium triisostearate - disodium edta - ethylhexyl-glycerin - phenoxyethanol - sorbic acid - triethoxycaprylylsilane - bht. +/- ci 77891/titanium dioxide - ci 77019/mica - ci77491/77492/77499/iron oxides.

* Che confusione ... The other Instant Light concoctions are:

--- the Complexion Perfector (a shimmery base/highlighter),

--- the Perfecting Touch (a concealer: a bit like YSL Touche Éclat),

--- and the Lip Perfector (a lip base).

Clarins also have an Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch (a siliconey line- and pore-reducing base), in a wider white tube.

Worse still, the Eye Perfecting Base (our friend here) and the Perfecting Touch (the concealer) are both slim brush-tipped pen devices. The latter is red. This one here that's the subject of this review is white.

And all the writing on the products is rather small. Sorry: discreet and sophisticated.

** Issue here: pale eyelids with freckles and a lot of blueness, and similar blue patches in the corner under the eye and next to the nose, where the skin is very thin--curses on really thin skin, every blood vessel is visible, and the eyes rolling around underneath when closed... maybe too much detail this close to Hallowe'en. Salmon-peaches neutralise blue-purples. continued >>