CLARINS Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base

CLARINS Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base

3.7

water - isononyl isononanoate - cyclomethicone - cyclopentasiloxane - methyl methacrylate crosspolymer - butylene glycol - glycerin - cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone - hexyl laurate - polyglyceryl-4 isostearate - silica - sodium chloride - disteardimonium hectorite - polyglyceryl-3 ricinoleate - sorbitan oleate - peg-30 dipolyhydroxystearate - magnesium stearate - polyhydroxystearic acid - alcohol - isopropyl titanium triisostearate - disodium edta - ethylhexyl-glycerin - phenoxyethanol - sorbic acid - triethoxycaprylylsilane - bht. /- ci 77891/titanium dioxide - ci 77019/mica - ci77491/77492/77499/iron oxides.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

[UPDATED 07/2010]

This looks like Clarins' sort-of-version of the YSL Touche Eclat, but appearances can be deceptive (the one in the red tube is). It's actually a double-duty eye base: to neutralize blue-purple and generally even out colour on the eyelid and in the undereye area. It can then be worn alone, to create an illusion of flawless skin. Or used as a base for shadows and so on to help its staying power and stop it creasing (the product's French name suggests this better - "fixative base for the eyes").

One of four products in Clarins' Instant Light series of "skin-perfectors that deliver incredible radiance." I'll spare you the rest of the purple prose - scepticism and cynicism aside, the product itself is a goodie. As is often the case with Clarins, the sheer plethora of similar-looking products can be confusing. This one's the slim white tube with silvery cap.*

The idea is the same as for BeneFit's F.Y.Eye and MAC Prep+Prime Eye. I found that this version has a far better texture and staying power than other interpretations of the same idea. In that it's moist and remains so - though I do have eye cream on too. It's not greasy and doesn't settle into the crease or slip into eyes and irritate them.

The EPB is available in two shades only; I'm using 00, a light pink with peach undertone. This may well be fine as a base, but is way too limited a colour range for use as a naturalistic product to use on its own. It is currently being used mainly as a base/eyelid discolouration concealer, for everyday purposes.** EPB is also OK in the undereye area: when used right under the lower lashes, I've had zero mascara smudges.

Application: Turning the base twists the product up, and it appears in the middle of the brush at the top. It can be applied with the brush, or deposited on a fingertip, Q-tip or other tool, whatever means suits you best. Pleasant, quite liquid, and happily concentrated. Seems moister than my previous bases (the three mentioned above), especially under the eyes - it's practically invisible there. Doesn't move at all, no balling on application, and later on, no creasing, drying out, or changing colour. Stays on like that, perfectly, all day. And while swimming.

An approximate thumbs up, and recommended with reservations (see below); as ever, do try before you buy, and Clarins ladies are usually lovely and often helpful.

Cons: (1) Non-nice price. For a grand total of 2 ml/0.07 oz, it's EUR 20.00 / GBP 18.00 / USD 24.00. But you don't need to use very much.

(2) Hit or miss on the one and only shade - and there are better plain concealers out there, if wearing this alone.

(3) Some alternatives: Laura Mercier Secret Concealer #1, TheBalm Time Balm (less peachy-pink: try the Lighter than Light or the Light). It and the LM have a waxier texture, are moister, and work out cheaper.

INGREDIENTS: water - isononyl isononanoate - cyclomethicone - cyclopentasiloxane - methyl methacrylate crosspolymer - butylene glycol - glycerin - cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone - hexyl laurate - polyglyceryl-4 isostearate - silica - sodium chloride - disteardimonium hectorite - polyglyceryl-3 ricinoleate - sorbitan oleate - peg-30 dipolyhydroxystearate - magnesium stearate - polyhydroxystearic acid - alcohol - isopropyl titanium triisostearate - disodium edta - ethylhexyl-glycerin - phenoxyethanol - sorbic acid - triethoxycaprylylsilane - bht. +/- ci 77891/titanium dioxide - ci 77019/mica - ci77491/77492/77499/iron oxides.

* Che confusione ... The other Instant Light concoctions are:

--- the Complexion Perfector (a shimmery base/highlighter),

--- the Perfecting Touch (a concealer: a bit like YSL Touche Éclat),

--- and the Lip Perfector (a lip base).

Clarins also have an Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch (a siliconey line- and pore-reducing base), in a wider white tube.

Worse still, the Eye Perfecting Base (our friend here) and the Perfecting Touch (the concealer) are both slim brush-tipped pen devices. The latter is red. This one here that's the subject of this review is white.

And all the writing on the products is rather small. Sorry: discreet and sophisticated.

** Issue here: pale eyelids with freckles and a lot of blueness, and similar blue patches in the corner under the eye and next to the nose, where the skin is very thin--curses on really thin skin, every blood vessel is visible, and the eyes rolling around underneath when closed... maybe too much detail this close to Hallowe'en. Salmon-peaches neutralise blue-purples. continued >>

on 11/10/2009 4:51:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Clarin’s website claims: The invisible and lightweight texture gently evens and smoothes the eyelids, for easy make-up application and more youthful-looking eyes. Eyeshadow colour is more beautiful, more intense and very long-lasting. For a flawless, long-wearing make-up result.” Well, let me tell you, they’re not lying. I love everything about this product. I have deep set eyes and a dark ring around them (a bit like a racoon). This product helps erase that “tired look” it also keeps eye makeup looking fresh all day. It comes in a pencil like applicator that you must twist so there is no waiste. Expensive but great product and you don’t need a lot.

on 12/27/2009 4:51:00 AM

I have been using it for over a month now. I was hoping to be able to use it on its own, but it creases almost immediately and the peachy color of the product (I have no. 00 - nude), doesn’t give a bright look to the eye area. I was getting a better result by applying a regular concealer.
It creases a little less when applied with an eye shadow, but still creases. Funny enough, I was able to achieve minimal creasing only after applying face powder on top of it.
On the plus side, the package is convenient and the product did not irritate my eyes.

Water, isononyl isononanoate, cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, methyl methacrylate crosspolymer, butylene glycol, glycerin, cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone, hexyl laurate, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, silica, sodium chloride, disteardimonium hectorite, polyglyceryl-3 ricinoleate, sorbitan oleate, peg-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, magnesium stearate, polyhydroxystearic acid, alcohol, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, disodium edta, ethylhexyl-glycerin, phenoxyethanol, sorbic acid, triethoxycaprylylsilane, bht.
+/- titanium dioxide, iron oxides

on 6/10/2009 1:05:00 PM

Probably my favorite product right now! I absolutely love this stuff. I have fair skin and my eyelids normally are a web of purple capillaries, and the Instant Light base covers that all up so it just looks ... normal! I went to Clarins for wedding day makeup recommendations and I am SO glad she sold me this product. I have been using it almost faithfully for over 2 years. I say 'almost' because the last time I ran out, I decided to try a drugstore brand (don't remember what it was, something generic, but it was $10) and absolutely hated it. The Clarins is just a better product and brand. I found that three clicks works for me for both eyes - I spread on my ring fingers and lightly sweep across each lid and up to the brow bone. My eyeshadow (nothing dramatic, just a light brown) stays all day without creasing, and my eyelids never look greasy. I have recommended this product to all of my friends and my mother as the one product I couldn't go without (that's saying a lot - I have dark undereye circles!). The color is even good for me to use as a base for stubborn red pimples - I dab the Instant Light on, then dot my concealer over it and it stays covered almost all day. Love it!

on 2/15/2009 12:07:00 AM

I'm happy with this product. But be careful when u use it for the first time. I had to click the pen for a long time for the product to flow out, and when it did, too much came out and was wasted. I like how the color blends well with my skin. It really does brighten up my lids. When i use an under eye concealer, my upper lids still look dull and dark. I used to just pat some powder on, but this Instant Light Eye Perfecting Base really does make a difference. Only need to brush on a little onto my lids and i smoothen it out with my fingers. There's no unpleasant smell. The best part is my eye liner and eye shadow doesn't crease because of this. That's why i wanted to try this product at the first place. Well, it hasn't failed me so far. It's selling for RM75 and i find that to be a reasonable price for a product from Clarins. Will buy again.

on 2/29/2008 6:12:00 AM

This product is like YSL Touche Eclat but also works as a primer base for eyelid and can help the the color payoff and staying power of e/s. It has only one shade( a pale beige pink), so I guess could only be used by fair or fair-medium group of people. I am in that range so I find this product really perfect for me, even better than YSL TE( being bright enough, yet completely natural---really melt into my skintone). It really instantly bright up and prep the eye area. Stops my e/s from creasing, and helps the color payoff. It doesn't cause any dry lines to occur even after long hours of wearing. The price is also much more reasonable than YSL's. I would repurchase it again and again. It really works for me!

on 2/12/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this product. I wore it under my eyemakeup to a wedding & the reception, I had shimmery eyeshadow and black winged liquid eyeliner, and the base kept my eye makeup on all night. I'm so glad I found this because I've had problems with my makeup smudging down on my bottom lids which makes me look like I have really baggy eyes, which I don't! I'm only 17!

This product also corrects the skintone of my eyes which is a bit darker than the rest of my skin and prevents oiliness which I'm prone to. I only need to use a small amount for great results. I highly recommend this product.

on 12/2/2011 2:24:00 PM

I absolutely love this; it is a must-have for me. I "paint" it on my eyelid with the brush applicator and then blend with my finger. It makes it easier to apply and blend eyeshadow, and I also feel that it brings out the colour and texture of the eyeshadow nicely, esp. shimmery ones. Just make sure your eye cream isn't too rich, because then your makeup will streak.

on 4/2/2009 11:38:00 AM

I have came to the conclusion I don't really care for this product. On the one hand my eye makeup looks like it was just applied and it looks good for 12+ hours. This is even better than UDPP for me for this. Buuuuut since it only comes in that ghastly salmon-pink color it changes every e/s I wear as well. It turned my gorgeous pastel pink e/s yesterday into a bright peach. It was just too dark for my PPP complexion. (I'm a MAC NW15, Px Camellia for reference.) Using this as a concealer was definitely out since it was so dark. Plus the little sample I received from Clarins on a foil peel-back got thick within two days of usage. I like it for the staying power, hate it for the color.

on 2/29/2008 7:04:00 AM

This is a primer base for eye-makeup, not a highlighter. Just the packaging is like YSL Touche Eclat, a pen with a brush.
As previous reviewers said, it is a pale pink-beige tint, easy to apply, fixes makeup quite well and doesn't dry up the eyelids.
Regarding that it s a rather tiny pen product lasts for a really long time. I purchased it in July 2007, and still have it - and I use it every day.