Zoom - Whitening System

No Image

1.8

on 3/22/2015 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is for Sapphire Whitening, which I was told is the same as Zoom Whitening except a.) It's a different company and b.) Causes less sensitivity issues than Zoom Whitening.

I had been wanting to whiten my teeth for the last few years - I did Zoom Whitening about 8 years ago and don't remember having any issues, but I recently read reviews of their latest version and apparently it is well known for causing a lot of tooth pain and zingers so I googled alternate options and Sapphire came VERY highly recommended by dentists who said they switched over because Zoom was too painful.

I prepped by using Sensodyne toothpaste for a few weeks in advance just to be safe. The process itself was pretty painless. I kept waiting to feel a zinger, but nope. It was just boring, waiting with mouth open for 3 sets of 15 minute bleaching. Afterwards I had a couple of blisters on the inside of my mouth and my teeth were sensitive, but I had made it through with no zingers! What a relief, I thought. Until the dentist said there was a SLIGHT chance I might experience a couple after the procedure. AFTER???? WHAT? I didn't know you could get them afterwards! But she reassured me that since I hadn't felt any that I was probably OK, but I popped a couple of Advil just to be safe.

10 minutes later as I was driving I felt a very strong electrical type shock go through one of my teeth and into my head. It was so bad my eye started watering. So THAT'S what they mean by zingers, I thought. BOOM another one hit me. This one from a different tooth. And this time I thought I could taste blood. I continued to get these for every 5 minutes or so for the next 6 hours. My head was throbbing so I took more Advil and went to bed. Woke up after an hour and my head was still throbbing with a zinger happening once every 15 minutes. I was so scared that I thought something was seriously wrong. I took even more Advil and went back to bed. The next morning was Saturday and I didn't have any zingers but I still felt like I had been hit in the head with a frying pan and slept most of the day on lots of medication. Sunday night I finally felt back to normal, but my teeth don't really look much whiter now and I will NEVER go through that again. I wish I had known.

on 7/26/2014 12:46:00 AM

First thing i have to say is i wish i read some reviews on ZOOM in chair whiting before i went ahead and got this done.

Im in the process of getting Porcelain Veneers and before i can have them finished my dentist asked me if i wanted to whiten them now so that he could match my veneers to the same colour, I've always wanted whiter teeth and to his credit he did tell me i would have sensitivity during and after the procedure for up to 24 hours. Of course i went ahead with it anyway thinking how bad can it be and i have a high pain threshold. I wanted the best results since I'm spending so much money to get a perfect smile.

All i can say is for those contemplating having this done be prepared for serious PAINNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!! i can't emphasise enough on how bad the pain was after i got home and it was consistent for at least 10 hours. I literally pumped my body with pain killers (ibrofen) which did not help at all. i took 2 tablets every 3 hours. I could not even open my mouth or the pain would be 10x worse every time air would hit my teeth. They call them 'Zoom Zingers' as i discovered as i googled every possible relief ideas while literally crying from pain.

I don't recommend this but my pain was so bad i took 20mg of Valium just to knock me out till the next morning so i could have some relief. I woke up the next morning around 4:30 am with slight pain still and took another 2 Nurofen tablets (Ibrofen) went back to sleep and woke up again around 7:30 am and felt 90% better. I am still sensitive which is normal but i can actually talk and eat a little bit now.

Conclusion: PLEASE do your research before doing this or be prepared for extreme pain ( I know some people are lucky and don't have any sensitivity but just be prepared) I would never in a million years do this again i would rather at home whitening kits.

Hope this helps.

on 1/24/2014 10:37:00 PM

I had Zoom whitening done yesterday 2pm at my dental surgery, performed by a lovely hygienist. I had read the reviews and contemplated zoom for the longest time, often putting it off for fear of pain as I have a low pain threshold. I recently had my 35th birthday and although my teeth are not yellow they were starting to turn that way and so I decided I would finally try Zoom (plus my dental surgery was offering the treatment at half price for 1 month only).

The hygienist explained that the treatment would consist of 4 x 15 whitening sessions, after each session she would add hydrogen peroxide gel, she gave me a bell to call for her if needed and said sensitivity is ok but itching and burning is bad. Knowing that there could be pain I took 2 x Neurofen (Ibuprofen) approx 1 hour before the treatment.

Treatment began at approx 2pm. The first session went fine though I did feel some itching on my gums and rang my bell, the hygienist put some vitamin E oil on it and the itching went away. I then proceeded with the 2nd 15 minute session and with 4 minutes to go I felt my first zinger. Lucky I was lying down as it would have knocked me off my feet. I was expecting zingers in my 3rd or 4th session but not my 2nd. I experienced at least another 2-3 zingers whilst completing the 2nd session.

The hygienist asked if I would continue with the 3rd session and I agreed. I guess I was hoping to get used to the zingers but I did not. The 3rd session was excruciating. I cannot tell you how many zingers I had as I had lost count, they varied in severity too and they got so bad that my body would spasm with every zinger, I was also feeling an itchy throat which meant I had swallowed some of the hydrogen peroxide and this made me feel panic (how would I even drive home like this?). The hygienist turned off the light approx half way through the 3rd session but said this would not eliminate the zingers and reiterated that that they would continue post treatment. I finished the 3rd session and told her I was not having a 4th session.

I walked out of the surgery at approx 3.15pm and the zingers continued every 2 minutes like clockwork for the next 4 hours, then for the following 3 hours I would experience them every 5 minutes or so. I took Neurofen back to back but this did not work, my hygienist had also told me that there was nothing that could relieve them, stronger meds could make me drowsy and help me sleep but nothing would actually stop them from happening. I fell asleep around 10.30pm that night with my stress ball which I squeezed every time I felt a zinger, I was not woken up by any zingers though I did toss and turn alot and woke the next morning at approx 9am with a headache and a slight zinger...though this zinger was a baby compared to those the day before. Its now 2.36pm Day 2 and I have not suffered any more zingers. Instead I have serious tooth sensitivity, a sore throat, a bad headache and my body aches all over.

My teeth did whiten a little and certainly look fresher but I never want to experience another zinger for as long as I live, so no more Zoom for me. I can only describe a zinger as giving your tooth an electric shock, a shock which lasts several seconds and can send shooting pain in your jaw and skull. Not speaking or keeping my mouth closed did not stop the zingers.

I will NEVER AGAIN do Zoom whitening. I will consider home whitening systems only and I would stress to anyone thinking to do Zoom Whitening to consider skipping this and opting for home treatment too, yes it takes longer but still gets results. The zingers are just not worth it.

Conclusion: Ugh. Never Again. I experienced the most painful zingers in my life and the end result wasn't good enough to justify the pain I went through. Night time bleaching with a mild peroxide gel was far more effective than the Zoom system.

Why I did it: After two decades of consuming teeth staining drinks like coffee, tea and coke, my teeth had turned a bit yellow. My dentist gave me two options: an at-home treatment that takes approximately a few weeks, or a single office visit with the Zoom system. Without doing much research, I decided to go with the Zoom system, because it seemed like a much more powerful whitening procedure, and I wanted immediate results.

What happened: When I signed up for the Zoom system, the dentist explained to me that we will be whitening my teeth in 3 steps:

1) A 2-week at-home treatment with 16% carbamide peroxide gel
2) The Zoom session at the dentist office
3) A 2-week at-home treatment with 16% carbamide peroxide gel

Results:

1) 2-weeks of at-home treatment: The dentist made custom trays and gave me 3 tubes of 16% carbamide gel to use at home. He told me that at-home whitening preps teeth for Zoom whitening by making them more porous. I applied the gel to the upper and lower trays and wore them at night while I slept. I experienced a mild teeth sensitivity initially, but the gel itself wasn't too painful. I ended up using the trays for a total of 10 nights, 7 of those nights in consecutive leading up to the zoom session. I was surprised how much at-home bleaching was able to whiten, as the tooth I had a root canal done had lightened up quite a bit without internal bleaching. But still, at the time of the zoom appointment, my teeth, especially at the root, were still yellow.

2) Zoom session: I had a 3x15 min Zoom session. The dental assistant applied a bleaching gel every 15 minutes, followed by light treatment. During the last 15 min session, I felt a "zinger", but only for a second. When I looked at my teeth in a mirror, the overall whitening was maybe, 1 shade lighter after the Zoom session. The roots of my teeth were still yellow. But the scariest thing of all was that both of my upper front teeth were patchy in appearance. The dentist assured me that the patchy appearance was due to dehydration of the enamel, and is not damages caused by the Zoom system. He told me to give it a few days to rehydrate and my teeth will even out in appearance. As I was driving home from the dentist's office, the zingers started despite taking double dose of pain killers (an ibuprofen AND Tylenol, given to me by my dentist). It felt like someone was stabbing my jaw with an ice pick and it lasted for hours and hours until I went to sleep. The next day, my teeth were a bit sensitive, but the zingers went away.

3) 2-weeks of post-Zoom at-home treatment: I started my at-home bleaching again 48 hours after the Zoom session. After about a week of wear, roots of my teeth whitened considerably. As for patchiness, it did go away over time, but it took about 10 days. The most dramatic changes were observed from at-home bleaching, NOT the zoom session.

on 7/9/2012 8:22:00 AM

WARNING !! Stupidly I did the Zoom whitening treatment 4 years ago - excruciating nerve pain - was in tears ... a day later developed blood blisters at the top of the gums in which they told me perhaps some had seeped into my gums causing a slight infection. So four years on I have 2 abscesses develop in my front teeth - the very area effected. My dental specialist says he cannot explain how I developed them ?? Now I know it was the Zoom ... so, so sure!!

on 6/20/2012 9:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is not the end all be all of teeth whitening systems so please do your research and talk to your dentist before you go through with it. I I don't recommend Zoom if you just want to whiten our teeth a few shades. I had a lot of dark, discolored teeth from not taking care of my teeth and not going to the dentist for years. My dentist recommended the home whitening trays because I might not need the Zoom, and if I did decide to go with the Zoom, my results will be much better since I will already be starting with a whiter base. I got the procedure done at my regular dentist's office. My dentist is wonderful, as is his entire staff, and they did not try to sell me the Zoom procedure at all.

I got my teeth 4 shades whiter with the Opalescence home whitening, but I still wanted whiter teeth. Let me just say that even after a couple of months of using a prescription desensitizing toothpaste, I still experienced a lot of pain with Zoom. I edured all four 15-minute sessions under the light because I wanted to get my money's worth. I started to feel the zings towards the end of the second session. The last two sessions, specially the last few minutes of the last session were extremely painful. I didn't feel just pain in one teeth here or there but all over. The pain relief gel did nothing to relieve the pain so that night into the next morning were pretty bad. The pain finally went away by the second day, but still returned as short zings whenever air or something hot/cold suddenly hit my teeth.

Before the procedure, they held my lips in place with a lip retractor and protected my gums by applying a gel or resin or something that cured hard. They also packed gauze in between my cheeks and the back teeth to protect my gums as much as possible. Then, the gel was applied to my teeth and they put the UV Zoom light over my mouth for 15 minutes. After the time is up, they scrape off the gel, apply new gel, and put the light on me again. Although it was really painful towards the end, I endured the entire 60 minute procedure and I am so glad I did because my teeth are whiter than they have ever been. My original plan was to get a few veneers on the top teeth, but now that my teeth are so white (and I spent a ton of money on the whitening), I'm not in any hurry to get the veneers. I am even thinking about getting braces before my veneers to get perfect movie star teeth.

My teeth have gone from a couple shades darker than ivory to near movie star white so I am extremely happy, but as I mentioned earlier, the home whitening systems you get from the dentist are just as effective at whitening teeth without all the pain if you don't need dramatic whitening and you can be patient. Teeth don't become discolored in a couple of weeks so it's going to take some time to whiten them.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

OMG THE PAIN!!! Two hours ago, I was literally screaming in pain from this procedure. I have never experienced this amount of physical pain before. Apparently some people experience more pain than others and some feel nothing at all. All I know is that I feel like a huge jackass for putting myself through this amount of debilitating and excrutiating pain for whiter teeth. Yes, my teeth look whiter, but they are were already white enough to begin with. I so should not have done this. Regardless, so not worth the pain. I was screaming to myself in the car on the way home from the dentist's office. Tears came out I was in so much pain. The first "zinger" or whatever they are referred to occurred during the last half of the third (and final) treatment of 20 mins. OMG, from that moment on the pain ensured. I took 3 doses of tylenol (back to back, I don't care - I needed some serious pain killers and I had nothing rx from the dentist), and the pain has subsided somewhat. I cannot open my mouth because the air hits it causing intense pain. I cannot talk for the same reasons. I am pressing my lips down over my teeth, rocking myself when these zingers hit. Seriously, no one should have to go through this for some slight improvement in their appearance. I am kind of ashamed of myself. Anyway, I wanted to share. Please, please, please proceed with caution if you are going to get this procedure done. At the very least, insist on some sort of rx painkiller to take before and afterwards. I certainly will never, ever get it done again. EVER.

on 11/17/2010 9:41:00 PM

I was hesitant in doing the zoom whitening, but my dentist convinced me this zoom was the newest version. A year in a half ago I whitened my teeth with another dentist and I was satisfied with those results, most of all I didn't have any sensitivity. Back then I whitened them before I got braces. Well I got the zoom the same day the braces were removed and I didn't tolerate the pain. I only lasted 14 minutes under the lamp. The pain is indescribable, the worst pain ever! What a waste of $200. But let me add, my teeth got mega white, in those 14 minutes, so I can just imagine how fake and white(which is what I was going for) they would have looked if I would have done the whole 45 minutes. The pain lasted about 20 minutes only after that.

on 10/7/2010 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i found the whitening pen lying around at him so i was like okay let me just try it ! so i tried the whitening pen and kept it in my mouth for a while without spitting cuz saliva whitens teeth.. anyways.. it worked it definitely whitened my teeth not the extent white Hollywood movie star teeth but it definitely whitened...

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

No, I would never have Zoom performed again and I do not recommend it. I too had the top of the line Zoom treatment, with the six different gel trays for 15 minutes a time under the light...I was there for over 2 hours...I saw ZERO improvement in the whiteness of my teeth. Basically they looked like if I had gotten them cleaned and polished at a regular cleaning. I paid $400.00, suposedly a good special offered for 24 hours, what a fool I am...and the pain, OMG....for 24 hours it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, zingers of pain were going off in my mouth for a whole 24 hours...what I was the most upset about was that my dentist gave me no pain pills and said all I would need would be possibly Motrin, give me a break! I have the highest pain threshold and this killed me.....Pain like this needs codeine 3 at least...It was not worth the time, pain, or money for no results...and I was given no free tubes of gel to use at home...total rip...