PENHALIGON'S Lily & Spice

No Image

4.5

on 7/9/2013 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This fragrance opens with a soft dewy lily, not overly loud and yet still very much present. It has an earthiness that keeps it grounded and allows the flower to bloom as if in your garden, not a flower that you would already find in the florist shop, clean and denuded of it's pollen pods. The heart notes allow the vanilla to peek out and add a soft warmth. While there is a hint of musk in the final dry down, it stays true to the lily throughout. I get absolutely no patchouli, which for me is a great thing; I'm sure that is what is adding the earthiness, but it isn't screaming "patchouli" it is just adding a grounding note. Staying power is about average; approximately 6-8 hours on my skin.

on 7/16/2012 2:38:00 PM

I have a lot of lily scents and for a long time I did not think anything could compare with DK Gold but I was wrong. This is rapidly becoming my favourite lily. I love the mixture of lily and saffron. It has a creamy quality I do not find in Un Lys for instance. Staying power is good and I actually got a compliment from dh on this one, which is unheard of.

on 5/19/2011 7:27:00 PM

I love this blend of light florals with the scent of saffron. It's strong enough to last in winter but not overpowering in the heat of summer, so I find I can wear this one year round. Very feminine and sexy.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

The only thing I can criticise about this beautiful fragrance is Penhaligon’s marketing of it. ‘Sensual, heady, hedonistic, carnally spiced’; rather it should be described as, ‘full-bodied, feminine, ethereal and realistic’. The lily blooms on application, and you can even smell the pollen on the stamen, which powders the skin with a haunting but very detectable dust. I think they were rather stingy with the saffron, which would have turned this into a masterpiece, but it is just about present amidst the soap. Vanilla is the most dominant note, other than the Madonna lily, and the clove can be found, though it is blended so smoothly it’s packed right down into the cream. Musk, in my opinion, doesn’t sparkle, so I don’t know what they were going on about there, but the musk is present and rather pleasing, if a little on the white side. The patchouli is very clean, and though I can detect benzoin – one of my favourite notes – it is too subtle to carry any apothecary connotations. I think the well-blended nature of Lily and Spice is its undoing; it is so perfectly soft and even, it always stays in the realm of ‘pretty’, rather than ‘edgy’ or ‘daring’, as the literature suggests. However, as a fan of Un Lys, I think this stands up as a great lily fragrance. It’s less musky, less perfumey, more realistic and equally as sweet. The other comparison, which I think Lily and Spice is superior to, is Casablanca Lily by Antica Farmacista. If I didn’t know otherwise I would swear this to be that same fragrance – which also showcases clove – and I would be confused as to why this new version blooms so realistically.
I think this deserves five lipsticks as a beautiful, sweet, white floral fragrance – the perfect partner to a white cotton sun dress. Unlike some floral notes, lily works for me, and I feel sure this has a place in my collection. I will wear it with eyeliner, as Penhaligon’s would wish, but just because I like contrast.

on 9/16/2008 6:05:00 PM

All Lily...no spice.Long lasting true Lily fragrance though.

on 10/30/2007 3:14:00 PM

To me, Lily & Spice is Un Lys minus the creamy vanilla. The "spice" half of its name is a bit of a misnomer, because all I can smell is the barest hint of saffron giving it a slight pollen-ish note. Overall, it's a lovely and slightly green lily fragrance that might appeal to people who find Un Lys too sweet or not natural enough.

Popular Fragrances