PENHALIGON'S Lily & Spice

No Image

4.2

on 10/30/2007 3:14:00 PM

To me, Lily & Spice is Un Lys minus the creamy vanilla. The "spice" half of its name is a bit of a misnomer, because all I can smell is the barest hint of saffron giving it a slight pollen-ish note. Overall, it's a lovely and slightly green lily fragrance that might appeal to people who find Un Lys too sweet or not natural enough.

on 9/16/2008 6:05:00 PM

All Lily...no spice.Long lasting true Lily fragrance though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Acutally I loved it - the lily comes strong on my skin and takes some time to calm down. Afterwards the spices are definitely there, no vanilla at all! rather wood and incense, to stay warm, powdery on the skin. The lasting power though is pretty poor, and therefore it is too expensive. A perfect scent for a "wild" one, a beauty AND a beast, a girly during the day, a seductive vamp in the evening.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

The only thing I can criticise about this beautiful fragrance is Penhaligon’s marketing of it. ‘Sensual, heady, hedonistic, carnally spiced’; rather it should be described as, ‘full-bodied, feminine, ethereal and realistic’. The lily blooms on application, and you can even smell the pollen on the stamen, which powders the skin with a haunting but very detectable dust. I think they were rather stingy with the saffron, which would have turned this into a masterpiece, but it is just about present amidst the soap. Vanilla is the most dominant note, other than the Madonna lily, and the clove can be found, though it is blended so smoothly it’s packed right down into the cream. Musk, in my opinion, doesn’t sparkle, so I don’t know what they were going on about there, but the musk is present and rather pleasing, if a little on the white side. The patchouli is very clean, and though I can detect benzoin – one of my favourite notes – it is too subtle to carry any apothecary connotations. I think the well-blended nature of Lily and Spice is its undoing; it is so perfectly soft and even, it always stays in the realm of ‘pretty’, rather than ‘edgy’ or ‘daring’, as the literature suggests. However, as a fan of Un Lys, I think this stands up as a great lily fragrance. It’s less musky, less perfumey, more realistic and equally as sweet. The other comparison, which I think Lily and Spice is superior to, is Casablanca Lily by Antica Farmacista. If I didn’t know otherwise I would swear this to be that same fragrance – which also showcases clove – and I would be confused as to why this new version blooms so realistically.
I think this deserves five lipsticks as a beautiful, sweet, white floral fragrance – the perfect partner to a white cotton sun dress. Unlike some floral notes, lily works for me, and I feel sure this has a place in my collection. I will wear it with eyeliner, as Penhaligon’s would wish, but just because I like contrast.

on 12/13/2009 9:38:00 PM

With an order of full bottles of Sacrebleu and Le Temps d'Une Fete, both by Parfums de Nicolai, I asked Naz at the Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver BC to pick out samples to send me, given what she knows about my taste, and this was one of them. I love it. I am extremely tempted to buy a full bottle, but am holding back, as yet, because of the poor lasting power on me vs price. However, I like it so much, that it is unlikely I will be able to hold out for long. I go back and back to the sample of Lily and Spice and it is only half gone - I love the large 1.5 ml samples that Penhaligon's gives. I also so appreciate reading other's descriptions of scents. "Pennypencil" wrote an excellent review about this one. I am hoping to develop skill in articulating these fine distinctions by buying samples and smelling as I read other's descriptions. I think one of the things I like about Lilly and Spice is the high, almost sharp and spicy, white flower note that is so similar to the narcissis in Le Temps D'Une Fete. To me, they are equally complex, interesting and truly lovely. It does seem, though, that while both might be worn with equal comfort by more mature women, that Lily and Spice is more likely to be enjoyed by younger women, as well. They are both very feminine fragrances.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Someone at Penhaligon's knows their flowers!! Specifically stargazer lillies! I have been on a quest for years to try and find a perfume that smells of stargazers blooming in the hot summer sun; Penhaligon's Lily & Spice is it! One of my favorite flowers to grow in my garden or have in a bouquet --- one stem can fragrance an entire room. Now I can spritz this on and capture those memories of enjoying my favorite garden flower anytime. I am so happy! ! It's no wonder as saffron is a key note. True as the pollen on Stargazer lillies is a strong note.... but saffron is an anti-depressent aromatheraputically and internally. It's a great chummy scent that I adore. I am swooning over my new full bottle. If you enjoy the scent of stargazers or big oriental lillies of any type, you will probably love this. If not -- send me your full or partial bottles!

on 9/29/2010 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Lily is one of my favorite flowers ever, so as you can imagine I have all sorts of lilies planted in front of my house.
I had recieved a sample of this fragrance about 2 years ago, I smelled and and thought it was nice but could not decide if I really wanted it, was it worth getting a full bottle. So I put the sample away and forgot all about it. Then the weather got warm and my beautiful lilies started to bloom and the scent was making me crazy, I mean I wanted to bathe in them. And I kept on thinking there must be a perfume out there that smells exactly like this. So after the lilies petals fell of and the scent was gone I went on a crazy search threw all my samples, and there it was. I came across Lily and Spice and knew I had to have it. It smells JUST LIKE A LILY. It's lushious, delicate, ethereal. I am on my 2nd bottle. I wear it in the fall so that it reminds me of how my lilies smell and it instantly makes me feel great.

on 1/4/2011 10:53:00 AM

Very pleasing and ladylike floral that I think would satisfy fragrance lovers with purist tendencies. This is a very realistic lily fragrance that has a very clear and sheer air about it. To my nose, it is both very fragile and at the same time very present. The use of spice captures the essence of lilies and to my nose, adds realism to the scent rather than giving it an edgy kick. On a oractical note, I find this much more wearable than Bluebell and Violetta, which do not like my chemistry at all. My only complaint is that my nose has gotten used to its spices very quickly, and nowadays it smells sweeter to my nose. I'm not a floral lover by nature and have moved closer to the genre through Van Cleef’s new floral because they were bright and clean. However, I find this more understated, wearable and natural than them. Good sillage and lasting power. I would rate it around 3.5-4.

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Not as good as Un Lys for me. I miss the creamy, vanillic base. I smell saffrony pollen but this is so sheer. Very weak EDT, extremely fleeting to my nose. Still, a good scent.

on 5/19/2011 7:27:00 PM

I love this blend of light florals with the scent of saffron. It's strong enough to last in winter but not overpowering in the heat of summer, so I find I can wear this one year round. Very feminine and sexy.

Popular Fragrances