Satin Ultra Vivid Fashion Colors Aloe Vera base

4.3

on 8/21/2016 3:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I only recently started using this hair colorant, but its honestly the best I have ever used in terms of staying powder and limiting chemical damage. My hair is naturally black BUT I have some grey roots which calls for using dye. About every 3 months I dye my roots only, and maybe twice a yr I use black dye on all of my hair just to sort of even the color and sun lightening that happens in parts. This product does a wonderful job at covering grey and/or as an all over colorant, with minimal damage.

My hair is very course and I have to be careful of chemical treatments to avoid damage and breakage. Although this stuff makes my hair feel straw-like as I wash it out, it is temporary and once conditioned my hair goes completely back to normal. Caveat I do not use this with 10/20/30 volume developer; I use the semi permanent developer instead. As far as lasting time goes for me/used in this way, it actually lasts way longer than any store bought brands (L'Oreal, Bigen, Clairol Nice and Easy root dye) and I can go 3 months without it fading, which is impressive IMO (being as my course hair doesn't hold color well). Also I think it's important to mention that you get a ton of product for your money.

Last but not least: I noted a few people have asked if/how this product would work for a woman of color - well, that's me! I am Afro-Rican and my hair is incredibly porous, course, dry, and prone to breakage. This is one of the only at home dye products I would whole heartedly recommend for WOC.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

THE most amazing DIY hair colour. My stylist asked who had done my colour and was shocked when I said 'me!'. I came upon this when searching for non-animal-tested hair colours and have been using it for about three years now. My roots need touching up every 3-4 weeks and Satin Color is easy, non-messy, doesn't smell, doesn't stain but gives great coverage and very natural colour if that is what your after (vivid shades available too). I have even done highlights and ombre-ing (with the 30% developer) my own hair at home using these products and it turns out beautiful, natural, and doesn't damage my hair (which is fine and dry). Will re-purchase forever.

To Read all 32 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/22/2014 11:16:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

How would this product work on women of color or white minority women, i.e. southern Italians, Greeks, Eastern Europeans? I've noticed that all the women I've seen in ads for this product are white women of noticeably Northern European ancestry. These women often have fine, straight hair, which I do not. Would this product work for a woman like me? Unsure whether I would buy it.

on 10/15/2014 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I decided to go darker this fall and bought the dark brown shade (3N) with the 20 vol developer. It has a tolerable scent and aloe vera base. It covered my grays beautifully and my hair was left super shiny and not dry feeling. The color did not come out flat and it did not irritate my scalp. It was about ten bucks at my local beauty supply. The developer was about five bucks. I have not used the matching shampoo and conditioner so I can't comment on that. This is the first hair color I used at home that didn't leave my hair feeling matted and dry after use. I am very pleased with the results I got and plan to repurchase whenever I need to do a touch up. update: I recently bought the light brown shade 5N. I also purchased the cover grey developer as well. My hair came out glossy, but a tad dry. However it was nothing a deep conditioner could not fix. The color looks great and my grey hairs took in the color pretty well. I am still leaving my rating as is.

I have been using Satin hair colors on and off for about 10 years now. At first it was hard to find as only certain beauty supply store sold it. Then I discovered I could find it almost anywhere on the internet. Thank God! Even Amazon and E-Bay. Over the years I've used all shades from blond, to brunette and currently the reds. I always get so many compliments even from hairdressers. Every time I've strayed and tried something else including expensive salons the feel and look of my hair always declined dramatically. Going back to the brand always improved the look and feel of my hair immediately! I now have 20 - 25% gray and it covers the gray beautifully. I will say when I've used the Cover Gray Developer it made my hair feel slightly dry. So I use the 10 developer and get the same results and hair feels wonderful!! I also use their shampoo's and conditioners (not crazy about the smells of these) and they are great - and not too expensive like most salon brands. Also use the after-color deep conditioner that smells good - covers the smell of the color and makes my hair feel great!
A few years ago I had a hair dresser that I loved but the salons colors could never get my hair the vibrant red that I really wanted. So she used to come to my house and use my color to color my hair. She was so impressed with it she started buying it herself and using it instead of the fancy salon brands that she was forced to work with. To me that was the biggest proof that this is truly an amazing product at very affordable pricing! I will never stray again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Confession time: I have not tried Developlus Satin's actual colors (yet!) but I have tried the Satin Semi developer, which is what I am reviewing here since there does not seem to be any other place to put it. Also I figure if you're researching the Satin color then you're at least thinking about using a Satin developer with it, right? Well, I can tell you that the Semi developer leaves very little damage and produced super shiny results even though I paired it with a color from another brand line. It didn't last very long though, but that may or may not have had to do with me using a different brand for the color. It was nearly as gentle to my scalp as my old favorite standby, Ion Sensitive Scalp. I will definitely try this again, and next time I'm trying the Satin color with it.

Edited to add, I have tried the Satin color now and I like it. It pulls a little darker than the Color Charm I was using before, but it has great staying power, and you really get a lot in the tube for the price you pay.

on 10/25/2012 3:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Pros:
Low Ammonia percentage
Highly pigmented, micro-pigmented for better color absorbtion and longer lasting results.
Excellent grey coverage.
Mild smell.
Great range of colors and range of developers. The semi developer turns the product into a demi color.
Aloe base.

I use this to cover the stubborn grey hairs around my face, and have used it as the all over color with excellent results.

Cons:
Can be difficult to find at retailers but easy to find on the internet.

My natural hair color is a 5 (Brown). Fine hair. Golden highlights, a few stubborn grey.

After reading reviews, i purchased SATIN hair color from DEVELOPLUS (made in USA, italian technology) because it is low amonia, and it was the first time doing the roots myself, since going to the beauty salon every 3 weeks for a $50.00 retouch was hurting my budget, i decided to roll the dices and do it myself at home. I was scared to dare doing the roots as good as my hair stylist do, but i did it, no regrets ! I am happy about the results.

I got 7N ( Medium blonde, neutral/natural base) together with 20VOL developer. I used the color ratio 1:1 for covering grey as the hair color box indicated, and left it on my hair for 45 minutes. Got a beautiful dark golden blonde, with a 95% grey coverage (almost all).

I got advice from a colorist at the beauty supply, about my best color choice, and she was right. :-) Love it ! You can see the picture i upload.

UPDATE: You can see the color is multidimensional, not flat. Shiny, healthy looking. I use it only on the roots, since the rest of my hair has been previously done at the beauty salon (highlights). Now i will go to the salon every 3 months, to do my highlights only, not every 3 weeks for retouch ;-) Very important for me is to keep Salerm wheat germ mask as part of the hair maintanance program.

on 4/22/2012 10:26:00 PM

I recently moved and haven't been able to get my regular color at beauty supply stores near me (you don't need a license to purchase Koleston in my old 'hood - blargh!). I was in a fix, but just couldn't put box color on my hair. So I found the Satin and devised a plan.

Since there aren't any reviews for the lighter colors, I thought it was especially important to let blondies know that Satin lifts. Like, really lifts. I'm naturally an ashy dishwater 7, and I just put 10B on my hair and it turned out the most beautiful light, neutral blonde with no hot roots! It blended the old color even better than my beloved Koleston.

I used 40 volume developer, did roots first for 20 minutes, mixed up some 30 and pulled through the darker ends for another 20. My hair is a little dry (which is why I took off one lippie), but the color is just lovely. I also highly recommend using Aveda's Blue Malva conditioner on the roots immediately after coloring. I always do this and it neutralizes whatever brass is hanging around.

This is comparable to a high-lift blonde, and way better than any store-bought light, cool blondes. Highly recommend!

on 2/13/2012 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Satin Hair Color is the best brand of hair color that is now available to me, unless I were to buy my all time fav on Ebay or elsewhere.
Satin Hair Color is vibrant, easy to mix, very easy to apply and has very good gray coverage. I am always a little surprise though as how much more porous my hair becomes when I use Satin Hair Color. I do switch it up every now and again due to the porous hair issue. I only use a 20 developer to mix my 6C and 5N so I am not cooking my hair, mostly depositing.
I get consistent, stellar results with Satin.
Happy Coloring!