Mason Pearson Junior Mixed Bristle Brush

No Image

4.6

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This brush is miraculous - and worth every penny. I had been wanting to try this for ages, and was worried about it just being hype - "the emperor's new hairbrush" so to speak. I bought this small size as a test. AMAZING! What they say is true. Apparently the boar bristles do an unbelievable job at distributing the natural oil throughout the hair shaft.

I have since bought the larger size for myself - and I gave this smaller size to my 9 year old daughter. It's shocking - but this brush is almost too good to be believed. It is THE BEST DETANGLING BRUSH ever for my daughter. I would gladly pay this price again in order to avoid tears when brushing her tangles. She has fine hair, but a lot of it, and it is prone to tangle. This is the BEST brush i have ever used on her.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Mason Pearson. The reputation is well-deserved and I would replace both of our MP brushes if anything happened to them!

on 1/26/2017 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I love love love this brush! You need to go out an buy one right now! The only drawbacks are the price and the fact that the gold lettering rubs off quickly. I use my junior size for blow drying and I have a popular size that has pride of place on my dressing table.

on 2/26/2016 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Good brush, but not $170 worth of good. This can't do much more than what a $9 bristle brush from Target could do. Did not spread oils throughout my long hair, as many other reviews claim. I tried to closely examine the bristles to see if it's woven in some special way, but nothing stands out to me. The materials are not different than what you can find for cheaper. This is extremely overpriced and overhyped.

on 4/9/2015 8:14:00 PM

Ok. I get that this is expensive. I get that there are other brushes that look the same. But this brush really is worth the hype and the big $'s. I have medium length, very fine hair, but a lot of it. I have not had a brush for ages that would even reach my scalp, and with the first use it was love for me with my Mason Pearson.
No one bats an eyelid at a bi monthly $80-250 cut and color... do your hair a real favor and purchase one of these, it is worth it.

I've had this brush for nearly five years. When I first purchased it, I immediately noticed the difference between using this and all the other brushes I'd owned. I have extremely tangly hair that tends to look messy and unbrushed just a couple of hours after I've brushed it, but this brush glides through my hair and leaves it looking much neater for longer. With past hairbrushes, I often had to rip through tangles, and I think that having this brush has probably contributed to the health of my hair since it glides through like buttah. I purchased the brush in the Junior size instead of the Popular size, because it was cheaper, but the Junior size works just fine for my long thick hair.
One downside with this brush is that the gold lettering on the handle began to rub off within the first year I had it. While this is only a cosmetic problem and doesn't affect how well the brush works, it still kind of annoys me. It seems after all the years of selling this brush, and for how much you pay, Mason Pearson should have figured out how to make the lettering last. It looks quite sloppy to have the lettering partially rubbed off, and I would love it if I could figure some way to restore it.
Cleaning: the brush comes with a special cleaning brush and instructions on how to use it. Initially I didn't see the point in cleaning the brush until the first time I actually properly cleaned it, but trust me: you'll notice the brush simply works much better following a good clean. I use baby shampoo and lukewarm water every six months, and you can find the instructions in the pamphlet, or just google if you've lost it.
Would I purchase this hairbrush again? No, I would not. In a review for the Mason Pearson "Popular" mixed bristle brush, MewsinProgress explains that other, less expensive brushes work just as well. Basically what you want to look for is a "porcupine" brush - that is the name for the mix of boar and nylon bristles. It makes sense that of all the brushes manufactured on the planet, there have to be ones just as good as Mason Pearson that aren't anywhere near as expensive. I bought mine years ago and I'm very happy with it, but if I ever lose it, I'd like to replace it with something cheaper, which I wouldn't have to worry as much about losing or breaking etc.
That said, Mason Pearson's brush does work extremely well, so if money is no object for you, or you're looking to get an expensive gift, you could do much worse.

on 3/11/2013 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

God they are expensive!!! But they are so worth it! And I mean it!
I felt so stupid about buying this brush at first, but it is worth every penny.
My hair feels so smooth and nice!
I never thought brush would make such a difference to a hair.
I have extremely damaged hair because of frequent digital perm.
They feel super silky and soft after only 3 day of use.
I brush when I get up, before shower and after shower when my hairs all dry.

on 10/19/2012 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

My HG hairbrush - though it's an unbelievable amount to spend, the brush smooths out my unruly curly hair, giving me the same glossy straightness as when I spent an hour blowdrying! Comes in a cute retro package and the mini cleaning brush included is very handy!

I have very thick, coarse, wavy hair that is often hard to manage- it is frizzy, it does not like being restrained, and it is dry at the ends. I have yearned for this brush for eleven years... ELEVEN. I have never had the money to drop on this thing, so I always admired it from afar. However, my lovely boyfriend gifted this to me for Valentine's Day, and ohmuhgawd, I about died when I received it. I had wondered at first if it would really live up to the hype, but I have to say that it really, truly does. After using it for about a week, I have noticed that my hair is significantly easier to manage, has more shine, and the ends are less tangled. It is also very soft, and holds whatever style I put in it more easily. I honestly did not think that a brush would make that much difference in my hair, but it has really helped my hair- the bit about the distribution of oils seems accurate. The overall quality of the brush is great; it is well constructed, and the materials are of good quality. Furthermore, I feel that the fact that the brush comes with quite clear instructions for use and cleaning, as well as the cleaning brush is great. It makes me feel more confident that the product will last, and that the company stands behind the product. I don't think I'll need to buy another one of these brushes in my lifetime, but if I did, it would be well worth the price.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have very dry hair from coloring. My hair is fine yet I have a ton of it. I bought this through the North American distributor and was very pleased with its performance.
My hair salon sales them and recommended the Junior Mixed Bristle for my hair type. When I use it, it does not make my hair look like a frizzball. Instead, it makes it look shiny and well groomed. I have noticed it is more shiny so I believe that it really distributes your own natural oils down the hair shaft as it states. I have wanted to buy one for several years and decided to when I read the great reviews. My mother used an MP brush on me as a child, but she cannot find whatever happened to it. I bought her one and myself one. You definitely want to maintain the brush by using the cleaning brush included with it. It can be used to clean the hairs that get woven into the brush after each use. Also, cleaning it with the cleaning brush dipped in soapy water to clean the rubber pad from grease or hair products. Use the cleaning brush dipped in rinsing water to rinse the soapy water from the brush. Do not ever submerge the brush in water thought! The cleaning instructions come with it. I really think this is a purchase that will not be regretted! Enjoy!

This is the greatest purse brush I know. It is gentle yet effective. Works great on my long, thick hair. DEFINITELY a must have item.

Popular Hair Styling Tools