SK-II Facial Treatment Essence

SK-II Facial Treatment Essence
Facial Treatment EssenceFacial Treatment Essence

3.9

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

First, it really does work. I tested this buy purchasing one Facial Treatment Mask ($17) and using very clean hands to apply the essence. I test for allergic reactions in the first 48 hours, then two weeks for test product performance. This affects cell turnover, so be prepared for a skin purge at the beginning, but those blemishes should be in your regular areas, near painless, and heal fast. This applies after astringents as a type of serum. Please avoid is you have issues with AHAs, kojic acid, and/or fermented skincare (this is derived from Japanese sake). Also, use sunscreen or the effects will reverse.

Performance: Since I'm high contrast--NC 15 with black hair--redness and uneven skin tone are major problems for me. My red spots usually show significant fading in 1 month. With SK-II, I noticed this progress in 1.5-2 weeks. That's half the time...and cause for celebration. SK-II's major immediate results are skin texture and tone, and I did that glow the everyone raves about. I think it's because it's working on texture issues that we don't always see as problematic; I didn't think my skin texture needed work! Kojic acid is the exfoliant here, and it's so mild it takes a little while. As far as dark spots and wrinkles, I think at least one skin renewal cycle (~29 days) is needed to really evaluate the effect.

I view this as a 3-in-1: a toning and moisturizing exfoliant. That said, I think the high price is justified. It's one of the purest sake-based Japanese products, but there are others with added ingredients. I also use junmai sake for baths.

on 7/10/2018 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I used up an entire bottle of this. Not because it was good, but because it was a gift that I couldn't return. With a price tag over $75, I wanted to get the full scoop.

I would never repurchase. Honestly even if it worked for me. The price isn't the issue here, it's the ingredients. The fermented ingredient (Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate) is the selling point. There are close-ish dupes on the market for a fraction of the cost (examples: CosRX, Missha). And I've used those for comparison. Nothing in the ingredient list is mind blowing. I didn't notice any difference, good or bad, between the brands.

Fermented ingredients just don't seem to do anything for my skintype. That's not to say it's bogus. Everyone's skin just reacts differently to ingredients. Some people love vitamin c while others have better success with acids or tretinoin. Skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate is meant to hydrate, brighten, and smooth skin all at once. So if the active ingredient works for you, keep using it.

Now, if you do like this product... please only use it as a leave on. If you use it as a toner or make up remover before washing your face, congrats on throwing money away. Washing it off so quickly after will never give the active ingredient a chance to do its "work".

on 12/10/2017 4:58:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Having used so many skin care products and brands, the SK-II is one that has proven truly effective, in my case. Some other products I have tried work to make my skin feel better and are a joy to use, some others work instantaneously but superficially (eg, products with firming, tightening effect). Well, SK-II FTE is not one of those. For me, the benefits have been visible and real. My skin texture and complexion has improved a lot since using this. Acne is kept at bay, oiliness is controlled, wrinkled have diminished, and discolourations have faded. It is expensive, but absolutely worth it. I don’t know how something with the consistency and appearance of simple water can work so well. I’ll keep on buying, so long as I can afford it!
PS, I just put drops on my palm and tap the essence all over my face. I have refrained from using cotton to apply, as the product is wasted on the cotton.

on 12/11/2013 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This does wonders to my face. I have deep acne scars. After using it for two weeks i notice my scars are lighter and the redness reduced. I did have some breakouts after using it for a week, i guess thats because my skin trying to get used to the new product.Overall i love this product as now i can see that my skin are more even and not much redness.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am totally amazed by this product. Actually i bought a bottle of this when I was at around 26 and it didnt work on me. Now at 35, my skin is actually aging. It didnt work in the past but now I see dramatic results. I think this product works better on older skin. My face looks more radiant and forehead lines are less prone. The miracle of all? My eye lines are less prominent. But I dun use treatment essence on eye areas. I guess this is due to me using eye serum right after my treatment essence. My fingers have some essence leftover. Nevertheless, I will pay for this product since it deliver the results I want.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Pro's - skin is definitely clearer and brighter, didn't break me out
Con's - smells bad, does not control oil or pores, skin looks worse than before if i stop it, expensive
But would buy it again cos i love the clarity it brings to my skin

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I had doubts about this product as I thought nothing can be "miracle water". I used this and after 2 months is when I saw the difference. My skin is very oily that is uneven and dull due to scars and redness left over from pimples. This product helped with making my skin less dull and more radiant looking, although it does not fade scars. I love how much radiant my skin is now, and even though this product is ridiculously expensive, I will continue to buy it because it really works. Although it is far from miracle, it will not help if you have acne prone skin, it doesn't reduce outbreaks.

I love the packaging of the bottle, it allows a bit to be poured out onto the palm so you don't pour too much at one shot. The smell if the essence is unpleasant, reminds me of something rotting. However it dissipates very fast upon application, something I don't mind because of the results.

on 8/24/2012 9:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product gives my face a kind of shine which was unnecessary. Because my skin is extremely oily, it made me look even more oily. And it smells terrible!!! Other than that, I don't see any improvement on my skin so I stopped using. Only used 1/8 of the product. Waste of money. For people who have fair/good skin/looking for natural glowing skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

EXPENSIVE and did not great job on my face, no IMPROVEMENT at all!

on 1/29/2012 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Not worth the price or the name! It hasn't done anything for my very oily, acne prone skin. I just use it as a light moisturizer at night now. I also have started to get white heads on my chin and lower cheeks which I am wondering is due to this product. I wouldn't recommend it.