SK-II Facial Treatment Essence

2.9

on 10/21/2018 4:08:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Oh good lawd this is one of the most over-hyped products I have ever tried! Caveat: many swear by it ... However, I kinda sorta liken this to what I have coined "La Mer syndrome" - amazing marketing strategies for a product that really is incredibly mediocre.

Full disclosure: I have extremely dry skin. Therefore I am usually willing to try anything which is said to impart moisture and serves as a layering agent. Given the hype and promises of miracles, I did a massive impulse buy at Sephora and grabbed the "value size" of this (LMFAO!), which was $230.00 for 7.8 oz., which was supposedly some sort of markdown from its worth in oz of $309.00...

I used this every morning and night (before serum, lotions, etc) and I did not notice any changes in my skin at all. Once I got abt half way through the bottle I poured it into a spray bottle and began applying that way - still nada. I got no noticeable additional moisture, nor any changes in texture or dry patches. So basically, this didn't do ANYTHING it advertises/claims to do. Well, for my skin anyway.

I am glad it seems to be working for many people, BUY, it sure didn't do a thing for me. Truth be told this didn't work any differently than MAC fix plus would have - in the end this only served as something to add on prior to serums in order for my other products to absorb better.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

First of all, I had heard of this product years ago by watching someone do 'Monthly Favorites on YouTube. They mentioned the price tag and I immediately thought "Pass!!".....I was not willing to pay that much for a skin product. Fast forward to 5 years later, I'm making a purchase on Beautylish and am asked to select my free gift/sample at checkout and see a 1oz bottle of this essence as a choice. I thought, "Hmmmm, perfect!...I can see what all the hoopla is about." I received the generous sample and looked online as to how to use it. I cleansed my face, toned it and applied the essence by patting it in my skin with my bare hands, then proceeded with my regular serum and moisturizer. The following day, I didn't use it and then on the second day, I noticed something amazing. For a several months now, my right cheek has had a reddish hue to it. Not sure if it's Rosacea but it becomes more apparent when I touch it as I'm putting on blush or makeup. Also, there small bits of flaky skin which I had no idea how to get rid of. I'd notice them throughout the day cause my foundation would emphasize them when I looked close up. Well, after the second day of using this essence, I noticed my cheek starting to peel,...like when you have a sunburn and a thin layer of skin starts to peel off. I rubbed my cheek while washing my face and all these bits of skin started rolling off. I thought it was weird until I dried my face put on foundation and noticed my cheek was no longer red and the flaky skin was completely gone.....WOW!!!! I have no idea what it was but it was gone and my face looked even toned and healthy. I went into work telling my coworkers about the essence and am planning on purchasing a full size when my sample runs out. Cannot believe the difference it made after just ONE use. I'm currently using it every other day and it's working amazing for me. Definitely repurchase worthy!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Seriously???? The 5.4 ounce bottle of this sells for $225 (plus applicable taxes, which are not inconsiderable) in Canada. And for what? I got a points perk sample of this and maybe for 50 bucks, I'd purchase but not for almost 5 times that price. Even at $50, I honestly don't see what is so exceptional about this stuff. The ingredients sound harsh and almost "toxic" (I know they're not but butylene glycol sounds almost like that butane stuff for lighters and creme brulee torches!) Honestly, you can get better toners from Clarins or La Roche Posay or better essences from Shiseido and Laneige, and all for a whole lot less money. This stuff doesn't do any more than products from those other brands. I'm glad I got to try a tiny bottle (ha - it's probably $50 worth, in terms of SKII's pricing!) so I could try this out and see for myself that it's really nothing special or magical and certainly not worth the hefty price tag.

on 5/4/2017 11:15:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I've used this for about a month now. No miracles here, but nothing bad either. I use this after cleansing but before other treatments and moisturizers. I have been a faithful AHA/BHA and retinoid user for at least 10 years, but as my skin has matured, I see more lip lines and crepe on my neck and chest. I expected this to help with smoothness and the neck and décolleté. Maybe it has done a little, but I cannot tell. Seems like high priced water... that's not good! I don't think I will repurchase, but I will soldier on and finish out the bottle--FWIW after a month I'm down about 1/3 of the 2.5 oz "mini" bottle. So $33/month or $1/day seems reasonable for when you look at it that way.. Though if it isn't doing anything, then even that is too much!

**Update 7/18/17:
I used up the bottle and it took me another 2 months, so my previous estimate of amount and cost was accurate. Nonetheless, it made no difference to my skin as far as I can tell. No decrease in creepiness, no reduction in lip lines or increased brightness in skin unfortunately. Not repurchasing.
**Update 2/7/18:
By December, I noticed that my skin looked slightly less radiant/more dull since discontinuing in July. And hyper pigmentation was creeping in. I repurchased. I'm into the new bottle for 2 months and have 1/3 left--so the cost remains the same for me--about $1/day. My skin is looking more refreshed, though it does nothing for fine lines and blemishes as far as I can see. It just adds a very subtle glow/a rested look.
I will keep this in my routine.
**Update 3/26/18:
My skin looks wonderful again. Really glowing and fresh. I went ahead and purchased the 7.5 oz bottle. I expect this will take me 9 months to finish. I'm sold on it!

I'm so mad I spent the money for this. Not only did it not improve my skin at all, but it caused a terrible itchy rash on my neck and chest. I used about 3/4 of the bottle before I finally gave up on it. So I think I gave it enough time for my skin to get acclimated, and to see any results, but for me, there were no positives and all cons. Also, I don't like the smell, and the method of application is not very efficient: (you're supposed to put some in your hand, and then pat it on your face, neck and chest, but a lot of the product gets lost between your fingers and wasted). Uggh so sad to have wasted all that money. I am going to try the Missha First Treatment Essence and see if that is better.

on 6/28/2013 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product sometimes gives an amazing glow when used on a consistent basis and sometimes has no effect at all. I read some other reviews and want to clarify that this is not a toner, it is to be used as a serum after using a toner. A toner in Japanese products is used to balance your ph levels and also to make the skin more receptive to subsequent skincare products. If you do not have a good result with this product, then maybe your ph is off or you're using it incorrectly.

I do wonder about the smell as one bottle was extremely odorous and one only had a light scent.

on 9/10/2011 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I had this for 3 years, initially I used it and find nothing significant. The effect is nothing short of using some scrub or AHA, but for the price, its not worth it. I used about half of it (4 oz) and I tried it the other day again & still .... not much difference.

on 6/23/2011 8:57:00 AM

Update: Aug 11, 2011

I can't wait until my La Mer line gets used up so i'm using them as body cream (totally did nothing to my skin) and now i'm back to SKII!

This toner is great! a must use with the skin signature.

at first i used the skin signature without this toner then when i decided to use it what a huge difference it made! my reddish face diminished & i no longer wear liquid foundation and can do with just powder foundation (laura mercier #2).

I'm now using la mer products (eye concentrate, oil cleanser, toner, gel & cream) and regretted using them. I'll be going back to SKII after i finish those.

on 12/3/2009 9:46:00 PM

I am almost at the end of a big bottle. I don't think it is doing anything for me. Shame on Cate Blanchatt. What a waste of my hard earn money. I am totally disgusted by this product. And it stinks like crazy!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is a must-have in my skincare routine. I've been using the essence for two years now. Before, my skin was oily and prone to pimples. After I started using the treatment essence, gradually, my skin condition improved. It became less oily. Pimples only pop up rarely now. When they do, they clear up within a day or two, not like the persistent ones I used to get a few years ago. I really do think using this essence has made a big difference. It's very expensive (as it is with all things SK-II) but it's well worth it.