SKII Facial Treatment Essence

SKII Facial Treatment Essence

2.9

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Seriously???? The 5.4 ounce bottle of this sells for $225 (plus applicable taxes, which are not inconsiderable) in Canada. And for what? I got a points perk sample of this and maybe for 50 bucks, I'd purchase but not for almost 5 times that price. Even at $50, I honestly don't see what is so exceptional about this stuff. The ingredients sound harsh and almost "toxic" (I know they're not but butylene glycol sounds almost like that butane stuff for lighters and creme brulee torches!) Honestly, you can get better toners from Clarins or La Roche Posay or better essences from Shiseido and Laneige, and all for a whole lot less money. This stuff doesn't do any more than products from those other brands. I'm glad I got to try a tiny bottle (ha - it's probably $50 worth, in terms of SKII's pricing!) so I could try this out and see for myself that it's really nothing special or magical and certainly not worth the hefty price tag.

on 5/4/2017 11:15:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I've used this for about a month now. No miracles here, but nothing bad either. I use this after cleansing but before other treatments and moisturizers. I have been a faithful AHA/BHA and retinoid user for at least 10 years, but as my skin has matured, I see more lip lines and crepe on my neck and chest. I expected this to help with smoothness and the neck and décolleté. Maybe it has done a little, but I cannot tell. Seems like high priced water... that's not good! I don't think I will repurchase, but I will soldier on and finish out the bottle--FWIW after a month I'm down about 1/3 of the 2.5 oz "mini" bottle. So $33/month or $1/day seems reasonable for when you look at it that way.. Though if it isn't doing anything, then even that is too much!

**Update 7/18/17:
I used up the bottle and it took me another 2 months, so my previous estimate of amount and cost was accurate. Nonetheless, it made no difference to my skin as far as I can tell. No decrease in creepiness, no reduction in lip lines or increased brightness in skin unfortunately. Not repurchasing.
**Update 2/7/18:
By December, I noticed that my skin looked slightly less radiant/more dull since discontinuing in July. And hyper pigmentation was creeping in. I repurchased. I'm into the new bottle for 2 months and have 1/3 left--so the cost remains the same for me--about $1/day. My skin is looking more refreshed, though it does nothing for fine lines and blemishes as far as I can see. It just adds a very subtle glow/a rested look.
I will keep this in my routine.
**Update 3/26/18:
My skin looks wonderful again. Really glowing and fresh. I went ahead and purchased the 7.5 oz bottle. I expect this will take me 9 months to finish. I'm sold on it!

I'm so mad I spent the money for this. Not only did it not improve my skin at all, but it caused a terrible itchy rash on my neck and chest. I used about 3/4 of the bottle before I finally gave up on it. So I think I gave it enough time for my skin to get acclimated, and to see any results, but for me, there were no positives and all cons. Also, I don't like the smell, and the method of application is not very efficient: (you're supposed to put some in your hand, and then pat it on your face, neck and chest, but a lot of the product gets lost between your fingers and wasted). Uggh so sad to have wasted all that money. I am going to try the Missha First Treatment Essence and see if that is better.

on 6/28/2013 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product sometimes gives an amazing glow when used on a consistent basis and sometimes has no effect at all. I read some other reviews and want to clarify that this is not a toner, it is to be used as a serum after using a toner. A toner in Japanese products is used to balance your ph levels and also to make the skin more receptive to subsequent skincare products. If you do not have a good result with this product, then maybe your ph is off or you're using it incorrectly.

I do wonder about the smell as one bottle was extremely odorous and one only had a light scent.

on 9/10/2011 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I had this for 3 years, initially I used it and find nothing significant. The effect is nothing short of using some scrub or AHA, but for the price, its not worth it. I used about half of it (4 oz) and I tried it the other day again & still .... not much difference.

on 6/23/2011 8:57:00 AM

Update: Aug 11, 2011

I can't wait until my La Mer line gets used up so i'm using them as body cream (totally did nothing to my skin) and now i'm back to SKII!

This toner is great! a must use with the skin signature.

at first i used the skin signature without this toner then when i decided to use it what a huge difference it made! my reddish face diminished & i no longer wear liquid foundation and can do with just powder foundation (laura mercier #2).

I'm now using la mer products (eye concentrate, oil cleanser, toner, gel & cream) and regretted using them. I'll be going back to SKII after i finish those.

on 12/3/2009 9:46:00 PM

I am almost at the end of a big bottle. I don't think it is doing anything for me. Shame on Cate Blanchatt. What a waste of my hard earn money. I am totally disgusted by this product. And it stinks like crazy!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is a must-have in my skincare routine. I've been using the essence for two years now. Before, my skin was oily and prone to pimples. After I started using the treatment essence, gradually, my skin condition improved. It became less oily. Pimples only pop up rarely now. When they do, they clear up within a day or two, not like the persistent ones I used to get a few years ago. I really do think using this essence has made a big difference. It's very expensive (as it is with all things SK-II) but it's well worth it.

on 8/18/2008 10:21:00 AM

I have been using Retin A for about 15 years. I am 51 with oily skin prone to breakouts and live in Florida. I have been trying to get away from Retin A due to the mineral oil and other toxins in the product for years but have not yet found a viable solution. Thought SKII might work for me. Over the phone I bought the FT Essence, Refining, WC Clear Lotion, Facial Clear Solution and FT Repair C and stopped using Retin A and started this program 2 weeks ago. Well within one week I broke out with small bumps all over my jaw line and a few large pimples above my lip. Yuck! So I called the Saks rep and she said to stop the WS Clear Lotion and the Skin Refining Treatment and that my skin was probably "purging" impurities. The problems have subsided though I still have the dark marks from the pimples. Also, in the morning I wake up with an oil slick all over my forehead and jaw line, could this be the C causing the excess oil? And during the day my skin gets oily as well with just using the Essence and the Facial Clear Solution (which ironically is supposed to control the oil!). I was wondering if any of you out there are under the same circumstances and if you would like to share what worked (or did not work) for you? In particular if you have incorporated Retin A with this program (which also would leave my forehead and jaw greasy - but at least that would happen only at night) how did you do it? I gave these products a 3 to begin with because it seems there is a "lead time" for your skin to adjust. I will only be able to tell in time if these really work. Do these products help with hyper pigmentation? I have a few brown spots on my forehead which have just begun to mar my olive complexion.

on 3/10/2008 5:31:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Skintype: Oily with dehydrated surface, rarely breaks out, slight pigmentation & sensitive. Review based on products of the brand for my skin type/concerns.

I used a whole bottle of this Treatment Essence (lasted me 8 months or so) & found it wonderful at first. My skin was clearer, glowing & more moist. I went on to buy my 2nd bottle & also added on the following for my skin needs - foaming cleanser, toner, facial clear solution, skin refining cream & whitening source. About 2 weeks after using the whole range, my skin broke out in red bumps & rashes all over the bottom half of my face, esp. at the chin & jaw area. It was also very itchy. A friend in the beauty line saw me & advised me to stop using & recommended me to use Menard's(a Japanese brand) cleanser alone with water & nothing else. I follwed her advice. Within 2 days, the itching subsided, & by the 4th day, the rashes became less red & went down. However, it took almost 6 weeks for my skin to come back to 'normal'.
Not believing SKII could be the cause of this reaction, I re-tried just the Treatment Essence alone after 8 weeks. Unfortunately, I had the same reaction - red bumps, rashes & itch. I gave the whole range away after that. I think the product was too drying & 'strong' for my skin, hence the allergic reactions.
I was also given some masques samples to try - theirs come in individually packaged sachets. Didn't like the feel of it as it came out all wet & 'starchy'. The masques didn't do anything special for my skin.
Compared to other over-the-counter brands like Estee Lauder etc. I find it to be expensive, especially if using on a regular basis.