SK-II Facial Treatment Essence

SK-II Facial Treatment Essence
Facial Treatment EssenceFacial Treatment Essence

3.6

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I'm really on the fence about this product. I bought it because I really believed that it would hydrate my skin and give it that clear, purified, bouncy look that's always in those Japanese/Korean skin commercials. I got it as part of the Pitera starter set.

I don't know why but my skin doesn't seem to react well with yeast. My skin either breaks out or feels super dry. I have very combination skin - normal t-zone, dry cheeks. It also doesn't seem to really boost the moisturizer I use after - my skin feels the same level of hydration either with or without. I used this for 2 months.

As for the anti-aging claims, I don't have any signs of aging whatsoever and I'm under 29. So I'm not sure how effective it is for that. I don't mind the scent at all - I've used products with a far stronger scent than this. I also find it calming and really appreciate that no extra fragrance was added - my skin is sensitive enough as it is!

My bottom line is - I really don't think this is worth the $100 CAD. Now, bear in mind I only used this for 2 months and I've read somewhere on an SK II site that you need to go through 1 or 2 full bottles of this essence to really see the difference. I would have kept on using it and finishing the bottle if I didn't keep breaking out with this. The breakouts started about 2 months after I began using it. It wasn't the time of month where my hormones are crazy when the breakouts happened and they pretty much disappeared or were no longer irritated after I stopped using this.

I guess my advice to people thinking about buying this would be - if you don't have tons of extra $$ to spend, don't blindly believe the advertising. If yeast works well for your skin, this product could be great!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

First, it really does work. I tested this buy purchasing one Facial Treatment Mask ($17) and using very clean hands to apply the essence. I test for allergic reactions in the first 48 hours, then two weeks for test product performance. This affects cell turnover, so be prepared for a skin purge at the beginning, but those blemishes should be in your regular areas, near painless, and heal fast. This applies after astringents as a type of serum. Please avoid is you have issues with AHAs, kojic acid, and/or fermented skincare (this is derived from Japanese sake). Also, use sunscreen or the effects will reverse.

Performance: Since I'm high contrast--NC 15 with black hair--redness and uneven skin tone are major problems for me. My red spots usually show significant fading in 1 month. With SK-II, I noticed this progress in 1.5-2 weeks. That's half the time...and cause for celebration. SK-II's major immediate results are skin texture and tone, and I did that glow the everyone raves about. I think it's because it's working on texture issues that we don't always see as problematic; I didn't think my skin texture needed work! Kojic acid is the exfoliant here, and it's so mild it takes a little while. As far as dark spots and wrinkles, I think at least one skin renewal cycle (~29 days) is needed to really evaluate the effect.

I view this as a 3-in-1: a toning and moisturizing exfoliant. That said, I think the high price is justified. It's one of the purest sake-based Japanese products, but there are others with added ingredients. I also use junmai sake for baths.

on 7/10/2018 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I used up an entire bottle of this. Not because it was good, but because it was a gift that I couldn't return. With a price tag over $75, I wanted to get the full scoop.

I would never repurchase. Honestly even if it worked for me. The price isn't the issue here, it's the ingredients. The fermented ingredient (Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate) is the selling point. There are close-ish dupes on the market for a fraction of the cost (examples: CosRX, Missha). And I've used those for comparison. Nothing in the ingredient list is mind blowing. I didn't notice any difference, good or bad, between the brands.

Fermented ingredients just don't seem to do anything for my skintype. That's not to say it's bogus. Everyone's skin just reacts differently to ingredients. Some people love vitamin c while others have better success with acids or tretinoin. Skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. Galactomyces Ferment Filtrate is meant to hydrate, brighten, and smooth skin all at once. So if the active ingredient works for you, keep using it.

Now, if you do like this product... please only use it as a leave on. If you use it as a toner or make up remover before washing your face, congrats on throwing money away. Washing it off so quickly after will never give the active ingredient a chance to do its "work".

on 7/1/2018 6:49:00 AM

No out of this world obvious effect after 2 months of use. My acne problem remains. BUT it definitely made my face less oily. In fact my once oily-combination face is now normal-dry and i just use a hydrating moisturiser for that. Because of that itself, my makeup is able to last all day! For that, ill continue using ang hopefully my acne will resolve over longer use.

on 5/20/2018 11:09:00 PM

So expensive but this is really good! I'm halfway through my first bottle but already my face seems brighter. Using it like a toner in the morning before moisturizing/sunblocking/priming my face for make-up. I like that the texture is light and absorbs easily into the skin after cleansing. But it's really pricey, so I'd probably repurchase if there's a discount.

on 11/14/2017 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I used this religiously for over a year. I never saw any particular benefit from using it for my skin though I searched and searched hoping to validate my over the top purchase!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

i'm so skeptical about this expensive water stuff
everyone loves this product in my country
but some people also hates it, because it breaks their skin, purging reaction, and it's so expensive

and finally i give it a try, i try the sample size first
i have to admit, it's a great product, my skin feels more glowing and brigther

it adsorb on my skin quickly

if you have extra money, try to buy this, but i think try the sample size first

if you wanna try this kind of water stuff but the price doesn't make sense for you, these are dupes that i already try (please note, all of these products are korean skincare, sk ii is originally from japan) :
- Secret Key starting treatment essence (originally, this is the first product that i try, for such a cheap price, it gives you a good result, but remember, try the sample size first)
- SKIN&LAB bio activating essence (the consistency of this essence is more thick, it does improve your skin, it claimed to be good for anti-aging, but not sure about this tbh)
- cosrx galactomyces 95 whitening power essence (not my favorite tbh, but people said this could be a good dupe, i don't see any change on my skin even tho i already use this for more than 3 months)

also missha time revolution the first treatment essence, but i never try this product

out of all those products, i rank them as :
sk ii - secret key - skin&lab - cosrx

as for the packaging, be careful, it's fragile
just transfer your product on some plastic bottle if you want to bring it for travel purpose

on 8/8/2017 7:03:00 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about this product, I don't understand what it's meant to do. I've been using it but haven't seen any results. Also, you moisten a cotton pad with it and wipe it over your face but for a product so expensive it seems crazy to use so much when so little actually ends up on your face. I love the SK-II Steam Power face cream and have seen results from it but paired with the facial essense there is no further effect, I will just stick with the Steam Power cream by itself.

Many people swear by this as their holy grail product, which is made with the by product of Sake making, which is called pitera. This product is definitely a cult classic. To be honest, with all my experience using this product i've never noticed any positive benefits, but certainly haven't had any negative either. I would just find it too funny if all this product was was a bottle of $100 mineral water... My more detailed review is below.

on 2/1/2017 8:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Got mine from the SK-II site directly. I like it and I'm using it with my shiseido eudermine.
But WOW this thing though, some key things to mention. The texture of the essence is like water. And compared to my Eudermine its even more watery with no stickyness whatsoever. It basically soaks into your skin so fast. When you apply it on your face, it feels like liquid silk.... if silk was a liquid. Odd right, but its SO smooth even though its clear and watery.

The other key point: smell. GOOD LORD it smells like natto/mildly smelling feet/blue cheese/etc. Like if any one of these had a perfume made, this would be it. I personally think it smells like natto (mildly stinking/sweaty feet), not like rice vinegar (see, this smells decent and actually like FOOD) I sort of reeled when I put it on the first time, and for a good week or so I had the barbaric urge to WASH my hands of the left over essence on my hands. Cause holy smellz!. If interested, would recommend buying directly from site so you would know how it smells and feels, its very distinct.

Effects: Moisturing? yes, check. Brightening? I think it might take a while to notice but it does have a SLIGHT effect. I cant say how fast though because I am pretty generous when applying the amount. Nightly 2-3 pumps first and 2-3 pumps 30 min later (I bought the big pump size)