NARS Cosmetics Balthazar Duo

NARS Cosmetics Balthazar Duo
Balthazar DuoNARS Balthazar (close-up)NARS Balthazar

1 review

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I got Balthazar purely out of curiousity when reading the glowing reviews here. Once the occasion arose (in the form of an eBay auction), I jumped at it. It came to me from the loveliest private seller who travels between Ireland and Japan. I got this in nearly mint condition without the box, and the seller even offered to mail me the box free of charge once she got back home. But I declined, knowing that this duo isn't going anywhere!

NARS describes these shades as simply 'maize and saffron', which isn't exactly a precise description, as both maize and saffron come in a variety of shades. I'd describe the left colour as antique gold or brass, and the right as burnt orange. The finish is curious. The shades don't have shimmer, they ARE the shimmer itself. The most finely milled shimmer for a beautiful, metallic effect.

I have used Balthazar several times now, and I love it with every application. The texture is probably the best I've seen from NARS. Soft and highly pigmented, yet firm enough not to fall apart. I use the lighter shade in the inner corner of my eyelid, whereas the darker shade goes onto the outer corner and the crease. As for the lower lid, anything goes. What is very surprising about this duo is that it is very wearable for everyday, except in the most conservative of work places. The shades make my greenish-blue eyes appear a little more blue, but it doesn't make them as blue as the NARS Scorching Sun duo. The eyeshadow stays put all day, but the fact that I don't have oily lids must surely play a part in it, as well.

I consider Balthazar to be not just an eye shadow, but 'jewlelry' for my eyes. The metallic effect of both shades is decorative, not over-the-top and does not distract from your eyes, just helps them being more of a focal point in the whole that is your face. This product is five lippie material, perhaps even HG.