Paula's Choice Lip & Body Treatment Balm

Paula's Choice Lip & Body Treatment Balm
Enter TitleLip & Body Treatment BalmMy HG lip balm

4.3

Not tested on animals

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Petrolatum (emollients), Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (thickener), Lanolin, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters (emollients), Beeswax, Ozokerite, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (thickeners), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Jojoba Esters, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil (plant emollients/oils), Bisabolol (soothing agent), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Trihydroxystearin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (thickeners).

on 12/20/2018 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

First off, despite some apparent changes with the company, I am a fan of Paula’s Choice, I trust them, and several of their products are my go-to, always-keep-a-backup items. But this lip balm was a let-down for me.

In general, I like thick, waxy lip balms (because I’m dry-skinned and that goes for my lips as well) - the type of thick and waxy that you DO feel sitting on your lips. This fits that description, but it’s so solid that it’s kind of difficult to use. Rubbing this to get product out is like a mini workout for your hand, you really have to dig into it with a tool or a knuckle.

It seems unscented though, which I like.

I’m a bit surprised about the jar packaging, since Paula & co have been drumming into us for years and years that jars are bad. I’m assuming it doesn’t contain anything that would be damaged by air exposure (?) but I still probably would have preferred stick form, if possible. Also, on the topic of packaging: don’t be like me, trying for ages to remove that aluminium cover under the lid by trying to peel it off from the edge of the jar. Haha. Just poke/cut a hole in it and peel it off from the middle.

Overall, if I manage to get product out and apply it onto my lips, this IS better, a little more long-lasting than most average lip balms I’ve tried - Burt’s Bees or Blistex or Carmex I guess being the popular ones. In my opinion, though, this is not THAT much better that it justifies the price, at all.

Maybe it’s tacky to plug another product in a review, but I think you get all the benefits of this lip balm (and more) with the Reve de Miel lip balm from Nuxe, if the waxy, thick type of balm is what you want. That’s my favorite, it provides long-lasting protection, but it’s not as hard as the PC balm.

According to Paula's Choice, you should ditch cosmetic products that come in a jar (see the photo).

I was confused getting this newsletter from them after trying out this lip balm.

After using this product for a few weeks, it wasn't any better than a cheap drugstore brand.

I was expecting so much more for a product that's more expensive.

According to Paula's Choice newsletter, issues of hygiene and ingredients exposed to light and air are found in a jar bottle and yet they sell it in this form.

I think it's important to be consistent with what you say and what you do as a company.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have been using this for a few months now. I only use it at night before bed as my overnight lip balm because of the jar packaging. That is where they went wrong with it! I dislike putting my fingers in the jar.

Otherwise, i do love the texture and feeling on my lips. It keeps my lips feeling great and super kissable. LOL :P
I dislike oily thin lip balms, and this is a nice smooth, somewhat thick texture that keeps my lips moisturized.

I did not notice any scent, fragrance, or weird taste in my mouth while using this.

The size of an average twist up tube of lip balm is .15oz & this is .5 oz so that is the only way i can justify the $15 price tag on this. you can usually get 15-20% off of that price.

on 8/7/2018 5:21:00 AM

I use it every night. If I don’t, my lips start peeling within days. It’s not my favorite lip balm; that honor belongs to Nuxe. But this one is very effective and like Nuxe, it lasts on my lips all night. just doesn’t smell quite as nice.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is an awesome basic balm. I mostly use it on my lips but I have tried it on my heels, elbows, and cuticles. I like the texture, a thick balm. It's not slippy at all. When I put it on my lips at night I still feel it in the morning. Its very moisturizing and my lips always feel nice and hydrated in the morning. You get a ton in the pot so it lasts forever. I'm using up my past HG, My Favorite Night Balm from Bath and Body Works, and I think in the future I'll be using this instead. This is more moisturizing and healing on the lips. I don't love that it's in a pot, however, it's a nice wide pot so it's easy get your finger into it. I would prefer a squeeze tube but I'll deal because I really like it.

on 11/24/2017 12:42:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Maybe if you're really desperate for a good moisturizing lip balm and can bear a god-awful taste/aftertaste, then this product is for you. I'm not one of those people. There are soooo many good lip balms on the market and this one doesn't cut it.

Cons
-The "aftertaste" - if a lip balm can be said to have such a thing. But it does. I can taste it. It has no smell, however. The taste, that you can't help but taste, even if you don't lick your lips or anything, is awful - like plastic or oil. Maybe it's the castor oil. Imagine putting a tablespoon of castor oil in your mouth. That's kind of what I think having this on your lips is like.

Pros
-It does moisturize, but I simply cannot bear the taste. I got this on sale ($10) and so thankful that I did, because the only thing worse than buying something you don't like is paying full price for something you don't like. Because it's such a small purchase, I won't return it since the cost of returning wouldnt be much less than the actual product itself.

on 4/13/2016 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

LOVE this stuff. I'm on accutane right now which means that my lips have completely lost their ability to hold moisture and MUST be covered by a balm or they basically shrivel up and burn. I was using aquaphor, which is non-irritating but it's so easy to accidentally smear it all over your hair, shirt collars, etc, and it comes off so easy. The Paula's Choice balm is more expensive but it's thicker and stays on well. I can actually go hours without reapplying, which is really saying something. Completely non-irritating. Kind of wish this came in a chapstick tube for easier application. Will definitely repurchase throughout my accutane course

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have had chronically chapped lips for my entire life. After using this product for a few days my lips have never looked so good. It's nice and thick so I always wear it at night and then use a lighter balm during the day.

This is my favorite lip balm treatment. It's not fancy, but it truly gets the job done. This is the only lip treatment that I don't have to reapply throughout the day. I put it on once at night and once in the morning. This also keeps things so soft that dead skin comes off a lot easier as well, making for smooth lipstick application. Fav...period.
Edit: Began to notice tiny pimples on my lip line. Cleared up with discontinued use. Deal Breaker...

on 6/20/2015 3:40:00 PM

I have chronic sinusitis, which means chapped lips, all the time. This was recommended by one of my YT beauty gurus, so I thought I'd give it a try. It is nice and soothing and moisturizing, though when I put it on before bed, it does not stay on all night (nothing does). I know PC is vigilant about their products being fragrance free, and I respect that, but I wish this had a vanilla scent or something. I also don't love dipping my fingers into the pot. But I still highly recommend this. I also use it on my cuticles and even on my elbows and feet.