Pure Henna Powder Hair Color

Pure Henna Powder Hair Color
Henna B and A

on 8/15/2016 6:58:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Henna saved my bleached hair like nothing else did. My hair was splitting midshift, not simply on the ends, and was a parched mess. I decided to gloss my hair with a mix of henna and cassia, adding in a bit more henna as I dared to push the color redder. The condition was beyond anything I dreamed afterward.

Here's the thing though: if you try to just play with henna for conditioning and maybe a bit of color, and you have lighter hair (worse on bleached), it takes you STRAIGHT BACK to that brassy orange look that we buy jugs of purple shampoo in the hopes of avoiding. The only way to get a nicer color is: add more layers of henna to make the color into a deeper red-red, or add indigo, which will mix with the henna to make a brown but leave your hair UNABLE TO BE COLORED with any product that lifts, unless you want your hair to go green.

Me? I'd already been a henna head many, many years ago. The built-up color was a gorgeous auburn, but getting my new growth to match the intensity of the many layers of henna on my hair was a commitment and hassle I just could not live with. I decided that more layers of henna were a definite no-go, or I'd just end up where I was before.

I had some success fading the henna out with many, multi-hour (8+) soaks in hot oil (coconut + olive) treatments. I got it to a color that I could better live with, went over it with a demi dye in chocolate brown, and I've been relatively happy since. The shine and condition remains in my hair, as well as the red tones that may have gotten less intense, but won't ever budge.

- Henna goes from gold --> orange --> red, and the early stages appear as full-on, bleach disaster, brassy tones, on light or bleached hair. Not cute, and the only way forward is more layers, which means more upkeep on new growth. Do your research on what you'll actually have to do to maintain some harmony between your new growth and henna'd length.. it may not be an acceptable amount of effort for you, or it might. Some very unfortunate women have found that no matter how many layers of henna they do, the color stubbornly refuses to go past the orange stage.

- Other options for getting a nicer color involve adding other herbs (like indigo, which means you can never use a permanent color or bleach until it grows out) or using a deposit only/extremely low lift (demi) dye.

- Oiling minimally removes color. It works best on indigo, and only slightly on henna. For me it made the color less intense/more translucent (fading) than actually washing it out. Red tones in general tend to linger in hair until they're bleached out, but the same goes double or triple with henna. They are there to STAY.

Do your research, strand test, and very carefully weigh your ability to commit as you go. If you get to a point where you even passingly google ''how to remove henna'', don't put any more in your hair! Try to fade it, dye over it, and grow it out, and use cassia only for conditioning. I hope this has been helpful to someone

on 3/12/2016 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have had reactions to conventional dyes before, whether applied by a professional or my self. So I went without for longest time. But I have dark brown/black hair with a lot of silvers peaking through.
I've tried to embrace the grey, but I'm not ready. Enter Henna.

Well after a lot of research, asking friends who use it, emailing companies that sell it, I decided on to take the plunge summer of 2014. Well I never looked back. BUT it is a commitment. Once you henna you can't go back (but my friend just kissed her teeth and used a box dye once and it didn't make her hair fall out...just saying).

Find a reputable company that sells it. Body Art Quality only as trying to rinse twigs out of curly hair is just tedious.

Work out a mix that will work for YOUR hair.

So I knew from the start I am not putting anything with a Ph lower that a 4, on my hair for more than a few seconds. Just no. So that left out the lemon juice and cider vinegar mixes.

My hair is coarse, dry and putting henna on dry hair I thought it would contribute to drying out even more.

So this is what I do...

Mix powder with boiling hot filtered water in a glass bowl with a plastic spoon. Take time making sure no lumps and is smooth smooth smooth. A yoghurt consistency, I cover the top with cling film then place somewhere warm to prove. Can use it when it cools down as the dye has released from the hot water but Ive found it best leaving over night (or longer as the mood for applying has passed, so I'll put in the fridge and wait till the feeling rises again!)

Next day I will put the bowl in another bowl of hot water to heat through.

I will then lightly clarify my hair, and squeeze excess water out with a towel.

Mix a Tbs of oil in my henna mix. Hemp last time but will use any enriching oil to hand. A couple of drops of essential oil might help with the smell of very green grassy herby wet dog smell.

In a plastic piping bag I have placed in a tall beaker for ease, I will spoon the mixture in. Twist off the top.

IMPORTANT: I will prep hair by sectioning it off for ease of application.
Put lip balm/baby bum cream/barrier oil around forehead ears back of neck.
Make sure as much stuff in bathroom is moved away. Have dark cleaning clothes to hand.
Wear proper gloves, those thin latex gloves are great.
Have a plastic bag or treatment cap thing to hand to cover your head afterwards.IMPORTANT

Using filled piping bag (you've cut off the end to get the stuuf out. You could use the corner of a plastic freezer bag instead) follow the sections of hair. Squeeze the henna through your hair with your free hand. Easier is someone does this for you but we are warriors.
Pile hair up on head when you've put it all on. Rinse your gloved hands as much as you can, then put plastic cap on. Could add cling film to this as this stuff may drip...

Now clean up...

I add a scarf to this then go about my business for 3 to 6 hrs.

USING GLOVES Rinse. Rinse. Rinse. Then rinse some more. If your not adding indigo after, use a cheap thin conditioner to help the rinsing process. When water runs clear. I will use a dark old towel to wrap my hair whilst I clean up AGAIN.

If I haven't lost the will to live then I will put a moisturising treatment on my hair with heat for 20mins. But usually I can't face this, so will add a little oil to damp hair and loosely style it for tge next day. In a couple of days I will do a deep treatment.

Then I have deep red hairs instead of silvers, my dark hair is shiny and my hair as a whole is stronger and denser. Until my roots become intolerable, approximately 6-8wks. Then I do it again.... I tend to make double the amount of henna the first time around then put the extra in freezer to make the process a little easier. But its just a step less. Bleh.

Thats why only 4 stars cause it is hard work. But I am happy with the results. When I do it.

To Read all 21 Reviews, Login or Join

Not a review as such, just some advice from a regular henna (and indigo) user. I am naturally dark-haired, approx. 25% grey and I'd finally decided to ditch the boxed hair dye. Having to do my roots every few weeks was proving too much for my poor hair after a 16-year habit. My advice is to start off mixing henna with just warm water and a little lemon or lime juice to help with the dye release (not too much as it is drying) and once it's ready to use add an egg. The egg makes it much easier to apply and is conditioning. There are loads of you tube videos on how to mix and apply it and how to get different shades of brown to pure black with indigo (you'll need salt to fix the colour) and amla. The biggest drawback is it is quite messy though less so if you are well prepared (newspaper on the floor, crappy towels, plastic gloves, clingfilm to cover hair and damp cloths to clean up splashes on face and sink/bath immediately). The best thing about it is it is completely natural, leaves your hair in fab condition and works with your hair tones. The colour is never flat. And I can alternate with Adore Plus, a very gentle semi-permanent (no peroxide or ammonia) if I want more of a fashion tone and it seems to grab onto the henna'd hair just that bit better. Do your research and take the plunge.

on 1/23/2015 7:06:00 PM

Somehow I didn't see this area of reviews for henna, so I had made my own for the henna I used. You can find the full review for it here:

Ill also post a part of my review here, in case you don't want to go to the link above:

I went to my local Indian grocery store and picked this up. It comes in (1 kg) green plastic packaging. Thats alot of henna powder for just $10.00! The brand is "Quality Brand", at least thats what it says on the package. I went home and was really in a hurry to get it on my hair hoping it would reverse some of the damage done by the other henna I used. I looked up so many videos and read many articles about how to make a henna paste, but in the end I went with something simple. I have shoulder length hair so I used 120g (100g is usually what's recommended for my hair length). Actually, I'll just write my recipe here to make it easier to use:

- 120g henna powder
- 1 cup coconut milk ***HIGHLY RECOMMEND: This will moisturise your hair without the use of oil***
- About half a lemon (freshly squeezed is best)
- About 1/4 cup tea (regular tea) *I put 4 tea bags in a cup and let it seep for a few minutes*
- Water as needed

It may seem like the biggest hassle in the world, and time consuming, but I promise you its worth it. I've only done this treatment once, yet my hair doesn't fall out any more (rarely), and my hair is stronger and shinier. I will be doing this treatment either biweekly or once a month. Now go get some henna!

I used this video to learn how to properly apply the henna:

For a more detailed review, check out the link I provided at the top :).

PS. I just checked out some of the sites that people use to order henna online, and I honestly think they over charge people for no reason. You can find 100% pure henna at your local Indian grocery store for much less. Juts be careful which brand (look for ingredients, information, etc). Don't buy a bag that has no labels/information, and you should be fine.

on 5/11/2014 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I started using henna powder in 2008, when the dry, desert air was destroying my long hair in a way that conditioner couldn't halt. My grey hairs were getting the worst of it, turning into unruly wires that stuck out every which way. The henna not only turned my brown+grey hair into a luscious auburn; it transformed it into glossy waves. I actually had a friend tell me that, upon meeting a stylist who had done my hair once for a concert, the stylist referred to me as "the girl with the gorgeous hair". Which shouldn't, under ordinary circumstances, be enough to identify a person but suggests just how hard the environment is on everyone's hair in these parts. Without henna, I'd be just another inverted broom straw in a crowd, I guess. :)

That being said, henna makes hair red. Permanently. I have to do my roots once a month, pulling it back into a ponytail to camouflage the new growth towards the very end of the month. And I do wait the whole month because application is a messy and time-consuming process. Here's what I do:
1) Add water to pure, BAQ (body art quality) henna powder. Mix until somewhere between the thickness of mashed potatoes and yogurt. The thicker it is, the easier to keep it on your head for hours. Let the mixed henna sit in a warmish place for at least an hour. I mix it in a plastic yogurt tub as I read somewhere that it reacts with metal.
2) Apply thickly to grown-in roots. I apply it like icing with a hair color brush or gloved fingers, so that the hair is completely coated and concealed. The thicker the paste, the more intense the color, I find. I always wear gloves for the whole application because quality henna on the skin, even for as little as a minute, will stain it orange. I wear clothes that I don't care about in case they get henna on as it can stain orange.
3) Pile and clip on top of my head. Smear any henna remaining in the yogurt tub on the surface of the piled hair. Cover with a disposable shower cap.
4) Leave on for 4 hours. Yes, 4 hours. I don't make any plans to go anywhere because it will drip down my face and neck occasionally.
5) Rinse thoroughly. I get a bottle of cheap conditioner and just glob it on my hair once I've mostly rinsed it out. The conditioner just helps to rinse the last bits of henna out. Henna can be hard to get out, especially at the scalp, so I really apply tons of conditioner, about 1 cup, combing it through before the final rinse. Rinsing takes a long time for me, at least 20 minutes, probably because my hair is very thick and long.
6) Don't wash it for a couple of days. I find that my normally quick to become greasy hair doesn't even begin to feel greasy until about day 3 after henna application so I don't have any problem not washing it for that long time.

No joke, this is a huge hair commitment, if you have hair of any considerable length. But I absolutely love my hennaed hair. As does the husband, which is also a motivator. ;)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Edit- not to be a meanie jeanie mcqueenie etc., but any negative review saying OMGARsH it's PERMANENT?! or OMG it's RED?! srsly needs to...give those 1 stars to their poor research NOT the henna. A simple google search reveals all: tis permanent, don't do if not committed to the resulting colour, strand test! Shakin my head...as my henna'd hair boings around silkily, scattering flecks of red shimmering gleaming goodness in the light..

I have used henna off and on for years. Actually everyone has already posted useful information. I wanted to say that if you have dark hair with natural or bleached highlights, henna is the perfect way to bring them out and add shine. You can do a henna 'gloss' which is milder, and that way it won't be such a BRIGHT or obvious red tinge, but you will get the benefits. Shine, strength, volume. My hair has a beautiful deep golden-auburn look, now, and all the highlights have softened so the roots don't look so stark and ugly!! I cut out the box hair dyes, and this is my recipe (for my own reference really)--for shoulder length dark hair--

>>yogurt (1 cup) or Coconut milk (canned)
>>henna (1/2 cup)
>>1/2 lemon squeezed, or less
>>hot water, coffee
(let dye release for 7 hours)
>>add 1 tspn coconut oil, 1 tspn olive oil, 1 tspn glycerin, 1 egg yolk
(some ppl add 10+ egg yolks for very long thick hair!)
Leave in for about 2 hours n 30 min
Bam! Not too red. Use a deep conditioning mask after washing out henna.

on 2/2/2014 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have had luck with henna as a hair dye. It is messy, and a pain in the butt to apply, but I love the results. It tints my grays a pale orange-y tone that blends in well with my normal brunette shade. It even manages to make them look like cool high-lights. The really nice part is that it barely changes the color of my normal hair, so that grow out is only really noticeable by the roots of my grays, vs. having an inch of hair growth that is a completely different color than the rest of my hair. I like it, but I can see how it wouldn't work for everyone.

Update 1/23/2016
Multiple applications made my hair feel course and dry. Not to mention the mess it left in the bathroom. It was fun, but it's over.

on 1/17/2014 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I love henna! I was really desperate for a gentler way to color my hair because i didnt know how much more abuse it would take. This stuff is a bit tricky to use &just time consuming...but w/ a bit of research totally fun & doable, heres a bit if info: http://www.primalpalate.com/blog/to-henna-or-not-to-henna-natural-hair-coloring-without-the-use-of-chemicals/ It is sort of like mushing poo in your hair but totally worth it! It dries to a crust which is uncomfortable but i bought a kit online that came with both henna &indigo as well as a shower cap. Warning tho***if u get a powder thats isnt high quality & finely ground it might clog ur drain*** I also mixed in a bit of chinese geranium oil to help the color take. I actually used both henna & indigo because i wanted to create a fade. It turned out super cute w/ blackish-brown at the roots graduating to a beautiful coppery-red as it goes down. I've gotten more compliments on the henna hair color in the last 6 months than i have in thelastlast 6 years using box dye!

on 6/14/2013 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I heart henna. I'm a proud and happy henna head. After 15 years of chemically butchering my hair with chemicals, my last bout being multiple bleaching/manic panic jobs, I said enough! My hair was falling out and felt like straw at its best. I tried the protein treatment, deep conditioners, oils... To no avail! I also couldn't grow long hair as a result. So after doing maniacal multi-month henna research, I decided to plunge right in. (To my family's delight---they were slightly sick of the rainbow and worried about the health of my head). I was platinum at the time and (a) didnt want fluorescent orange hair and dark roots and (b) didn't want fluorescent orange hair and dark roots, so I did two last chemical processes to get started on the right foot. Firstly, anyone knows that if you remove ALL pigment out of hair and try to put brown back in it MAY go green. So I put some orange permanent box dye in my hair. Boy was that a sight. Then, as soon as that dried, I mixed some old neutral brown permanent box dyes and slapped it on. Result: my old medium brown! It felt healthier even after those 2 box apps I kid you not. So, knowing to get pure, BAQ (body art quality) henna from a reputable source (I've used mehandi twilight but prefer henna sooq's red raj), I ordered some up. First app I mixed w lemon juice and water and dye release took an eternity. Left on hair for 6 hours. Second app I used hibiscus strong tea (shorter dye release) and left on 4. Final and third app (I'm aiming for shampoo commercial hair here), I used same as second for TWELVE hrs and let me tell u, no matter what hennaforhair tells you do NOT use lemon juice unless you want the driest hair known to mankind. Hibiscus tea was actually soothing and smoothing. Henna builds up on itself so my med brown hair is now a glorious auburn. Application is messy, it's time consuming, etc but I look at it as a fun project (mud pies!) that's an investment in the long term health of my hair. It's growing great and feels like silk. OH-- to get it out, I recommend the 'mermaid soak'. Google it. :) This is a COMMITMENT though. PERMANENT. All u can do over henna is make it darker w indigo/henna blend (hendigo). So if you're fed up w nasty chemical hair and red suits you, go fer it!!!

long time I have tried all Henna receipes I used it with plain water , with yogurt, with hair oils , vinegar
I usually mix henna herbs with any of the above then leave it for a couple of hours
then put it on my hair from roots to end & for my scalp also
I have done that weekly long time ago for 2 month to get the best result
will I found my hair became stronger , more shiny & it added a red color to it
but to be honest my hair become more dry
after I had used it I made up my mind to return to blond so I put my usual hair
color & here came the desaster my hair turned to bright orang horrible color
I consulted most of hair dresser on my town they all said that they could not
color my hair blond exept after one year or at least 6 month when
my hair shaft could get red of HENNA
the only solution was to chang my hair color to brown & wait for several month
I manged to clear my hair from henna effect by using lots of mineral oil bath &
hair medicine that contains alchohol which helps hair shaft to get read of henna
so do not use this unless you want to remain red or black haired