Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place EyeShadow Base

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place EyeShadow Base

2.9

on 4/3/2016 4:44:00 PM

A very disappointing product. I am a big fan of the double wear range so when I saw this I was very excited to try it. I have oily eyelids and this did absolutely nothing for me. Estée Lauder claims that it keeps eye shadow crease free for 15 hours which in my opinion is false advertising. It has put me off trying more of their products as the price is too high for the poor quality of this product.

on 11/10/2013 12:15:00 AM

This is so-so, not great and not terrible. As an eyeshadow primer or base it's gotta be one of the better ones for sure, but it's not all that.

It makes my eyes look older and crepey. But makes eyeshadow stick for sure. Works great with some and balls up with others.

I prefer MAC Paintpot in Painterley as a base and have done a review comparing the two.

Price is too high for the stuff. If it didn't ball up or go crepey it'd be great. Packaging while easy to get into can be a bit of a bacteria trap if you are not hygiene conscious with fingers and brushes. A little disposable 'tester' spatula or similar is good. Easy not to waste product and easy to see how much is left.

A tiny bit of this spreads like silky goodness, it feels like silicon I guess. Maybe that's the hit and miss of it all, how it sits with other products.

on 3/8/2013 9:30:00 PM

No colour options. It goes on kind of chalky and pale looking.

on 2/3/2013 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I usually swear by the double wear line that Estee Lauder has available. The foundation, the foundation powder, the eye liner and lipsticks are all amazing but the cream eyeshadow's end especially the eyeshadow base are just lackluster products. I made sure to use a natural fiber brush to apply the base, but it became clumpy and hard to work with. Then I tried applying with my fingers, thinking the heat of my finger tips would make the base more workable.. not true. I understand that the idea is to create a long wear eyeshadow base but you can't even move this product around once it has made contact with your skin, it creates fine feathering type creases with matte eyeshadows. I would not recommend this product to others to use and I feel that for the sale price it's a huge waste of money.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am disappointed in this product. It does not keep your eye shadow on for 15 hours as advetrised. I find that after about 5 hours, I start to see creases and eye shadow starts to look uneven. I am also using Estee Lauder eye shadow. I did not feel this product lived up to the promises made and would hesitate to recommend this product.

on 9/21/2012 5:51:00 PM

I spoke too soon. This primer is not what I had anticipated. After only 3 hours, I noticed creasing. After several hours (8+) the shadow was fading and the creases intensified in depth. I plan to return it. Considering it doesn't do the job (neither did the shadow go on evenly) it is therefore too expensive.

I classically have used UDPP and TFSI as my eyeshadow bases, however a friend of mine gave this to me for my birthday recently and I really like it! I like that it is in a pot, and it is really easy to scoop out with a Q tip. I then apply it simply with my fingers. The consistency is very soft feeling... I find TFSI is thinner and more oily, and haven't used UDPP recently enough to remember. It seems to work just as well at keeping eye makeup in place, and since I do enjoy the application and I think it is actually a bit cheaper (though correct me if I am wrong) I may continue to get this instead!

EDIT: I'm noticing the I have a lot more creasing with this after I have been wearing makeup all day. So sadly I have to take this down to 3 stars. It is a shame, because the texture when you put it on feels really nice.

on 6/8/2011 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Not a regular eyeshadow wearer, but bought this to get a GWP and have been amazed by how much more vibrant it makes my Sleek shadows which had previously been a bit of a disappointment. Definitely a convert to using a base - for nights out anyway.

Going against the grain here so I wonder if I got a dud...I bought mine at Selfridges in Manchester at an event to launch the new season in October 2009. My shopping list for the event was; to consume as much free champagne as possible, to ogle the delicious boys at the MAC counter, to pick up a base for eyeshadows and an eye cream. After having my picture taken on the red carpet and wishing I had stayed off the champagne, I trundled to the Estee Lauder counter, as the woman there seemed more my age and I do like EL as a brand. I chose (or was I pushed) the double wear eye shadow base, along with something else and qualified for the lovely bag that was the free gift. I went home a happy girl, paid around 47.00 but got around 120 worth of products, and quite, quite drunk. The next day I was entering a hair competition and knew my hideous pic would be taken so I reached for my eyeshadow base as even in saintly conditions I have eyelids with an oily tendency. I am a sucker for packaging and if products make you feel good to hold, they usually have at least a placebo effect. Inside the lovely glass jar, there is a very generous amount of base, in a lovely natural creamy colour. Thats the positives. I thought the sample I tried in Selfridges was a creamy consistency, yet this felt grainy and dry to my fingers. I warmed it a little between my fingers and applied it to my eyelids. Its quite sheer, which is good, but in the time it took for me to pop the lid on and choose an eyeshadow, my lids were creased! Just the base, mind, and creased! I wiped it off and tried again this time with a brush. That left brush strokes, but I blended tham out and moved on with my life. I just love EL creams and mascaras, but the base, which I have continued to use as it cost so much (around 17) and actually still have only made a small dip in the top of, left me cold. I won't buy it again, but by the time it runs out I'll probably be too old to have eyelids

on 6/8/2010 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I absolutely love this stuff. It covers all the veins and such on my oily eyelids and stays put for over 24 hours. My eyeshadow stays on and doesn't budge at all. Usually my eyeshadow creases in a few hours due to oily lids. I usually use a roll on shadow from Sue Devitt and then regular shadows and liner and mascara. You get a lot in the jar and you don't need much to cover your lids, just besure to let it dry before applying eyeshadows on it. I have a tube of UDPP and can't stand that stuff nor its packaging. If you need a eyeshadow base I reccommend this one.