Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol
Skinceuticals Retinol

4.4

water, cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone crosspolymer, dimethicone, dimethiconol, laureth-4, laureth-23, hydrogenated lecithin, butyorspermum parkii (shea butter), caprylic/capric triglyceride, ceramide 2, ceramide 3, phytosphingosine, cholesterol, hypericum perforatum extract, propylene glycol, allyl methacrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 20, retinol, BHT, sodium polyacrylate, dimethicone PEG-7 isostearate, glycerin, polyacrylamide, C13-14 isoparaffin, leureth-7, bisabolol. rosa canina leaf extract, silybum marianum fruit extract, passiflora incarnata flower extract, chamomilla recutita (matreicaria) leaf extract, citric acid, methylsothiazolinone, tetrasodium EDTA SkinCeuticals 5/27/09

on 2/1/2016 6:13:00 AM

This review is for the tube of retinol 1.0 by skinceuticals.

I have been using for over a year a generic retinol purchased online overseas by Johnson & Johnson and went through hell with peely skin, acne purging and ended up with sponge like effect on my face and large pores. There was some improvement to the softness of the skin but I never got it to where I hoped it would be (went from a .25 to .50 strength).

I did some me research for non-prescription retinol and saw great reviews whereby skinceuticals came out on top in most reviews so found it on special and purchased it two weeks ago.

In my first week using it I had slight peel effect but it lasted about two days. Then I started to notice my pores getting smaller, tightened skin and the big wow my forehead wrinkles looked less noticeable! I don't even need to add a moisturiser after I apply (must wait a good 30 mins after applying retinol), but every now and then I will use my Juno Sunday Riley's oil if I feel my skin needs a little more hydration.

I have been totally impressed with this tube of miracle and will most definitely buy it again. I started to give up with retinols thinking I would need to spend on seeing a skin specialist and get a script or I give up on retinols altogether. So happy I gave this a go. My skin is normally sensitive, dehydrated and I have now in my 40's wrinkles forming and a crepey look which came out of no where, now I am seeing the cream help turn back time as much as a clam can - so happy.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Like most Skinceuticals products, this one is really good. I've used retinol products for awhile now, so my skin is used to them. Even though this has a 1% concentration, it really didn't irritate my skin too bad. It did start peeling a little after about 2 weeks, but that's a good thing when using retinol! Excellent product.

Incredible product!!! I have suffered acne for over 20 years since my late teens. Getting very close to 40 and was not able to find anything to clear up your acne is very disappointing and extremely frustrating. However after starting with .5 for couple months long and continuing with 1.0 retinol of skinceuticals have changed my skin and my confidence drastically. I have no acne now and a very nice bright looking skin. Having acne for 20 years left me with scars so I'm hoping will be getting better overtime with continuous use of this product. After a month of incredible results I also bought skinceuticals C E ferulic antioxidant and B5 hydrating gels and have been using them daily. One of my friends is a plastic surgeon and he insists on using retinol at night and an antioxidant in the morning. The results are simply amazing. I use the retinol every other night with Josie maran argan oil on top. I use Josie's argan oil at night and in the morning as a moistrizer. That helps calming down any irritations and hydrating my skin super well. Never had any problems. I also exfoliate twice a week. Highly recommended!

on 1/6/2015 9:12:00 PM

This is not for retinol novices! If anyone is new to retinol maybe try skinceuticals 's 0.5 retinol instead of this 1.0 version. Way too harsh / strong for my skin and I literally felt burned after using this for only 2 times. Had to return it back to Dermstore, which is a great site that accepts reasonable returns/exchanges.

on 10/7/2014 4:16:00 AM

I've used retin a, retin a micro, tazorac and differin and never had any issues with break outs from those products, but skinceuticals retinol made me break out :(
I know sometimes people experience an initial breakout from retinol products, but because I didn't from any of the dermatologist prescribed products, I'm thinking it might be the dimethicone in this product that did it.
Dimethicone coats the skin, which basically means skin can't breathe and nothing can get in or out. I know dimethicone isn't a problem for many people, but for us acne prone types, I think it can sometimes be a problem. Trapping bacteria and gunk doesn't sound ideal to me!
Just after using this product, I tried la roche posay effaclar duo, and it also broke me out. I noticed it also has dimethicone, so I will be avoiding this ingredient from now on!

on 9/4/2014 10:36:00 AM

I was not expected such serious medicine since it was over the counter. I have used retin a in .05 and .1 percent concentrations and this seemed to do as much as far as peeling and exfoliating as either of them. However, with retin a it peeled, then got better while just giving my skin glowing results in just a few weeks. 1 month in using the skinceuticals I am still getting reddness, itchyness and pretty bad sensitivity. I much prefer the retin A and when I go to Mexico in next month I will pick up some of that and ditch the skinceuticals.

Also, it brought it down on my neck one day and the next morning I looked like I had 2nd degree burns. This is some serious stuff, don't be fooled into thinking because it is over the counter that it isn't.

I have the metal tube, purchased off of amazon and the packaging is great.

on 9/2/2014 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's now been six months since I started using this product. I apply it every night days, at night only. My skin is combination with first signs of ageing. Nothing prepared me for how my skin would break out. It peeled, it was flaky AND I had awful acne along my jaw and chin and forehead. It was just coming up everywhere, really. I persevered and after about 6 weeks it died down.This product still causes pimples on my face, but they are quite tiny. A the same time, if I apply it on a pimple every night, I find it disappears quickly. It's strange in that way.

I bought this product to combat ageing. I have found that beside the pimples, my skin is more refined BUT it is way more drier. This means that it looks older unless I drench it in moisturizer.

Overall, my skin is more even and smooth for the most part and I will continue using retinol. I'm just not sure if it will be in this product.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVING this!!! I am a PC fan but wanted to try something else for retinol. I had been using the PC Skin Recovery Retinol and then switched to the PC Resist Intensive Retinol which is labeled their strongest % of retinol but they won't specify what the concentration is. It was only until I read on the PC FB page that the concentration is less than .5% that I decided to look elsewhere.

I was a little nervous about what to expect. When I first applied the Skinceuticals, I was surprised that I experienced NO tingling or burning. Like other reviewers, I noticed nothing after first 2 applications. Then, I started peeling/flaking. I did not have redness just peeling that look a good scrub to get rid of. I'm already seeing results that are gorgeous! I am prone to milia and it has already removed one milia bump that I've had for months.

As all other reviewers said, start slow. If you haven't used retinol before, start with the .5% first. Like another reviewer, I put this on my neck (that was not used to retinol) and it got down in a crease and burned the heck out of my skin. I blame that on user error not the product itself.

I'm happy that this will likely reduce the cost of my skin care regimen because I'll use less. The PC product costs less but I was applying twice a day. The Skinceuticals I only apply 2-3x/wk.

I have the metal tube not the pump. Will repurchase again and again. Very cost effective and produces visible results - that's what I look for in products! HG!

This a great maximum strength retinol to use instead of a prescription retinoid or in alternation with it: once in 2-3 days. I actually get less side effects from 0.025 Retin-A than from this.

For something comparable - same concentration and consistency- I'd go with Paula's Choice Retinol Body Treatment. That is strong stuff, just like this, without the price.

NOTE: The PC Body Treatment has the same concentration as the Resist Retinol Serum but you end up applying more because it is not slippery silicone, but a lightweight cream.

Holy smokes I can attest that this stuff is strong. It HAS to compare to at least the lower percentages of the rx stuff.

I have combo skin normally although it's been dry with the winter. I ::thought:: my skin was acclimated to retinol as I've used the drugstore stuff which I know is not the same thing but I've also been using a 1% by skinfinite 2-3x per week certain days to kick it up a notch. Clearly these are not the same 1% standards.

I've had to buffer this and use it no more than 1x per week so far. My eyes especially have been sensitive since it's probably migrating in my sleep. My skin has gone through some irritiation, but I've also added Obagi's Blender, so some of it could be the combined products. Last week I started to peel on my nose and around it. Luckily it wasn't a raw feeling with the peel, but it did flake considerably.

UPDATE: I did end up flaking considerably on my nose and around it on my cheeks, etc but it wasn't painful, like I said. What was REALLY bothersome was what happened to my neck. DO NOT use this stuff under your chin/your neck unless you know what you're getting into. I had a bright red chemical burn which wierdly settled into the deep horizontal line I have (probably from sleeping) and severe itching/peeling. My husband was horrified and said it looked like he tried to strangle me with a rope or something. It was truly ugly. My fault, because I should have known that my neck is more sensitive (I didn't try my chest).

So far I'm pleased with the product. I probably should have started with the .5 and worked my way up but like I said, I thought my skin could handle it. Just go slow and mix it with gentle moisturizers if you aren't acclimated to stronger stuff.