Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol
Skinceuticals Retinol

4.1

water, cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone crosspolymer, dimethicone, dimethiconol, laureth-4, laureth-23, hydrogenated lecithin, butyorspermum parkii (shea butter), caprylic/capric triglyceride, ceramide 2, ceramide 3, phytosphingosine, cholesterol, hypericum perforatum extract, propylene glycol, allyl methacrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 20, retinol, BHT, sodium polyacrylate, dimethicone PEG-7 isostearate, glycerin, polyacrylamide, C13-14 isoparaffin, leureth-7, bisabolol. rosa canina leaf extract, silybum marianum fruit extract, passiflora incarnata flower extract, chamomilla recutita (matreicaria) leaf extract, citric acid, methylsothiazolinone, tetrasodium EDTA SkinCeuticals 5/27/09

This little tube is a great investment. My dad actually got from his dermatologist to fade sunspots, but he hated using it and passed it to me. It is quite strong and a pea sized amount is sufficient for my entire face. Expect a peel a few days after you use it for the first few times. I use once a week. Always wear a good sunblock.

on 2/1/2017 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this product to try and get my skin used to a retinol product.
I tried for a good 6 months, and 3 times a week was all i could tolerate. My skin was always extremely dry, feeling tight, and i always had embarrassing peeling skin on about the 3rd day after use.
I read another post from someone who advised to go straight to a prescription strength Tretinoin, so off to my local GP i went, and i have never looked back.

Here in Australia, prescription strength tretinoin starts from $26, compared to the $100 skinceuticals one.
I now wake up every morning with soft moisturised skin, and i have never peeled, or suffered from red tight skin.
My advice to anyone wanting to start on retinol is to not waste your time in over the counter retinols, they cost more, and aren't as effective.
The prescription tretinoins are more emollient, and CHEAPER !!
For reference, i started off on Stevia A .25 %. No side effects whats so ever. Then i moved onto Retrieve .05% (skin feels amazingly soft the next day with this brand) Now i am about to try the highest strength.

on 4/10/2016 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Good penetrating retinol cream, did not irritate my mature, dry skin. Good value.

on 12/27/2015 1:25:00 PM

I have been a Skinceuticals customer and fan for several years. Unfortunately, their inclusion of methylsothiazolinone in this product is negligent. Methylsothiazolinone is a biocide and neurotoxin. It is mainly found in drugstore shampoos and a few salon brands. I won't even buy a shampoo that contains it, and shampoos at least rinse out. I don't understand why a high end skincare brand would use this in a skincare product. Why not use oil of oregano, or colloidal silver, or something else that is not a neurotoxin? Unfortunately, it never occurred to me that Skinceuticals would include this ingredient in one of their high end products, and I purchased and used it and now must throw it out, which is the equivalent of throwing away a lot of money, but I'd rather throw away money than use a neurotoxin on my face.

Fortunately, SkinMedica offers a great alternative, and I am now using that.

on 2/28/2014 10:15:00 AM

This product can either scare you away or make you see the potential and keep using it sparingly. I am not gonna lie, I freaked out when my face started getting splotchy, sensitive and red. The pealing was annoying but it did not bother me as much as the skin sensitivity towards any face product including the most gentle ( SNAIL MUCUS GEL).

For 1-2 days after using this product at night, my face saw no peeling, no sign of anything. Then when I woke up on the 3rd day ( I did not put any on my face that night), my face was a freak show. I did not want to leave the house!! I tried oatmeal mask to take redness and red blotches away which did help but what I found was that jojoba oil did help a lot in calming my skin.

My skin is starting to peel more and more, different areas every day lol
I almost decided to quit this product but now that I am seeing results begin, I cant wait to go through this all over again. Do expect extreme sensitive skin to your basic creams even the most gentle!!! Do expect to look in the mirror one day and freak out because you look UGLY but don't worry, with beauty comes ugly first lol

I had a pimple on the my cheek with left a red mark, after using this it faded it away and is still fading. I recommend not using it 2 night in a row ( that was dumb of me) since this stuff is potent. Use it ONCE a week at night and later on maybe upgrade the dosage to twice.

DO NOT put it around your eye area.... thankfully I did not and read instructions...

Give this a try and don't expect beautiful results right away...remember that there is a ugly stage so just make sure you have a good makeup to hide this redness lol Maybelline dream mouse is what worked for me..EXFOLIATE GENTLY FIRST....all my high end bb creams, cc cream didnt work! Thats how red it was lol APPLY it with a beauty blender!!!

on 2/26/2014 6:08:00 PM

Like others have mentioned this stuff is strong, I read the comments below but didn't take any notice, I thought I could handle it. As I put the cream onto my face, it's very lightweight and it absorbed right into my skin. I did this 3 nights in a row and the 4th night I thought I would have a night off, when I woke up in the morning, looked in the mirror and I was peeling everywhere and my face felt very sensitive whilst I tried washing with a gentle cleanser. Around my eyes were burning - please don't put near your eyes, very unpleasant. It soon calmed down, but I only use this 2 nights a week, no more, I might increase as my skin adjusts. My skin, is super sort, wrinkles are softer, I have a fresh faced glow. I am very happy and like another reviewer said as I am only using it 2 nights a week, it is working out so much cheaper than my old routine and it gives results!!!
So if you are reading this, don't be like me and please take our advice and go easy!!!

on 11/10/2013 2:21:00 PM

I also have the updated tube version, not the pump.

I skipped the 0.5 version and went straight for 1.0. This stuff is GREAT. I use it every few days, maybe 3x per week. I have noticed a large difference in the appearance of my pores, which is exactly what I was hoping for. The overall texture of my skin has improved. I'm still waiting to see about wrinkles and lines.

I have noticed some flakiness but nothing too extreme. Nothing moisturizer can't fix!

This is definitely the best non-prescription retinol treatment. Skinceuticals makes amazing products.

Edit 4/16/2015:

I used this product for about a year. I have since moved on to Sunday-Riley's Luna Sleeping Night Oil. It feels much more gentle on my skin, with the same great benefits of a retinol.

on 8/19/2013 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

First, mine came in a tube, not a pump. I guess they finally listened to the complaints about the packaging.

I went to the derm to ask about retin-A, as I have gotten as much as I thought I could get from OTC products. She suggested this instead. I was skeptical but she said I could return it and get a prescription if I didn't like it. I gave it a try and am amazed. I saw dramatic results in the first week. FYI, I'm 40 with fair skin in decent shape. I've worn sunscreen for 20 years pretty consistently but have some sun spots, plus marks from acne, and large pores. The horizontal bands across my neck are pretty pronounced too.

A little goes a LONG way and you definitely need a moisturizer and sunscreen. The process the dr. gave me is to use it each night for the first two nights. She said I would probably peel by then, and I did. She said to just use a very gentle cleanser and a heavy moisturizer while that happens. I peeled for 2 days. She said to then use it twice per week going forward. Well, I'm into the 2nd week (day 11) and my skin is starting to adjust. I can't believe the difference. The wrinkles across my neck and next to my mouth are practically invisible. The pores across my cheeks appear smaller and my skin is smoother and more even. Two red spots on my jaw line from the last time I broke out (5-6 months ago) are almost invisible. Now, without foundation, I look like I did when I wore it.

Since I don't need to use this daily, it's going to end up being cheaper than my prior routine. That NEVER happens to me.

I've also heard that if you want to use it daily or every other day, to apply it over your moisturizer. I'm happy with my results, so I haven't tried that.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I am actually writing this review to warn you gals on the strenght of this product. I did use on and off (since it was really hard on my skin ) Retin A for over a month. Thinking my skin could by now take it, i used this cream for 4 nights in a row. I woke up on the 5th morning, red and flaky and with a few breakouts. I peeled like crazy for the past week. I really thought it would not have happened since i used the Retin A just a few days earlier. I am now planning to only use it once a week until my skin will get used to it. I like the texture and my skin looks pretty clear and glowing now . Might update in a near future.

on 10/9/2012 9:31:00 PM

I used this product for 2 weeks off and on - I thought it was doing okay until one morning I woke up with an incredible blotchy red face and huge crepey wrinkles under my eyes - it looks like a blown up case of psoriasis or dermatitus - I hope my face goes back to normal! I'm scared I've ruined my face!!!!