Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol

Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol
Skinceuticals Retinol

water, cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone crosspolymer, dimethicone, dimethiconol, laureth-4, laureth-23, hydrogenated lecithin, butyorspermum parkii (shea butter), caprylic/capric triglyceride, ceramide 2, ceramide 3, phytosphingosine, cholesterol, hypericum perforatum extract, propylene glycol, allyl methacrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 20, retinol, BHT, sodium polyacrylate, dimethicone PEG-7 isostearate, glycerin, polyacrylamide, C13-14 isoparaffin, leureth-7, bisabolol. rosa canina leaf extract, silybum marianum fruit extract, passiflora incarnata flower extract, chamomilla recutita (matreicaria) leaf extract, citric acid, methylsothiazolinone, tetrasodium EDTA SkinCeuticals 5/27/09

on 12/11/2010 4:30:00 PM

A staple in my beauty routine. Absolutely the best retinol treatment you can get w/o prescription. Does what it suppose to - exfoliates, makes skin dewy and peachy, helps prevent/treat acne, fades brown spots or any sun damage. I use it at night, right after cleansing. Important: My derm recommended to leave it on for about 20-25 minutes alone on skin, before applying any night lotion. Another tip for those which super sensitive skin - put Ferulic C+E serum before you apply retinol, it'll sooth the irritation.

VERY IMPORTANT: Stop using 2 days before you go on sunny vacation (beach/skiing) - the skin would be too sensitive to the light. Apply high SPF (at least 45) and don't tan - it'll revert the effect of this product, you'll wind up with spotty/red skin.

on 8/19/2013 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

First, mine came in a tube, not a pump. I guess they finally listened to the complaints about the packaging.

I went to the derm to ask about retin-A, as I have gotten as much as I thought I could get from OTC products. She suggested this instead. I was skeptical but she said I could return it and get a prescription if I didn't like it. I gave it a try and am amazed. I saw dramatic results in the first week. FYI, I'm 40 with fair skin in decent shape. I've worn sunscreen for 20 years pretty consistently but have some sun spots, plus marks from acne, and large pores. The horizontal bands across my neck are pretty pronounced too.

A little goes a LONG way and you definitely need a moisturizer and sunscreen. The process the dr. gave me is to use it each night for the first two nights. She said I would probably peel by then, and I did. She said to just use a very gentle cleanser and a heavy moisturizer while that happens. I peeled for 2 days. She said to then use it twice per week going forward. Well, I'm into the 2nd week (day 11) and my skin is starting to adjust. I can't believe the difference. The wrinkles across my neck and next to my mouth are practically invisible. The pores across my cheeks appear smaller and my skin is smoother and more even. Two red spots on my jaw line from the last time I broke out (5-6 months ago) are almost invisible. Now, without foundation, I look like I did when I wore it.

Since I don't need to use this daily, it's going to end up being cheaper than my prior routine. That NEVER happens to me.

I've also heard that if you want to use it daily or every other day, to apply it over your moisturizer. I'm happy with my results, so I haven't tried that.

on 7/4/2010 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This product is without question the best one I have ever used. The results I am seeing after using it for about 3 months are incredible. My skin is smooth, plump and even toned. My acne is now almost completely gone. I am also using this around my eyes and it looks like I have had an eyelift. The area is line-free and the skin is thicker so that my eye circles do not appear so dark anymore. I have had problems with redness and flaking until I have started using this retinol cream in conjunction with Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair (the Synchronized or Concentrate formula). I use the ANR in the morning and sometimes at night when I have flakies and redness and it brings my skin back to normal. I can thus reap the benefits of the extraordinary Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0 formula without the unpleasant side effects. I recommend these products highly.

ETA: I have noticed that this loses its potency after a while (you can tell that because the serum turns yellow which means that the retinol has oxidised), probably because air does get into the tube even though I think the pump is supposed to be airless. That is not a problem though, if you keep it in the fridge. Since I have been doing that, the serum does its job properly even after several months of use of the same tube.

on 5/27/2009 1:38:00 AM

Excellent product. I have used Retin-A and Retin-A micro in the past (with a prescription), and those never even compared to the Skin Ceuticals Retinol 1%. I received a sample of the .5% retinol and used it for 2 nights and noticed my acne cleared. After about 6 months of regular use, I upgraded to the 1%. This product is very strong. It will eat the dead skin off of your face like paint thinner takes paint off of a car. I have had acne for the past 22 years and this product cleared it. I do not like to use this with the Skin Ceuticals cleanser though. It causes too much drying, thus plugging the pores and causing more acne. The skin needs to stay soft to let the plugs out. I use Philosophy Purity cleanser and the Skin Ceuticals Retinol 1% and finally have clear skin.

on 1/16/2006 11:01:00 AM

This is a great retinol product. I have worked my way up to the 1% concentration using other retinol products. I was worried this may be harsh, but I really have had no adverse effects. A bit of peeling, which is to be expected. My pores are refined, brown marks fading. You only need to use a small amount (size of a pea) and use as aften as your skin can tolerate. Always start slowly. I have worked my way up to nightly use. The package says the delivery system helps minimize the negative effects of retinol and I agree- not much redness. This is one of the few products I have used that delivers! If you like retinol products, I highly suggest using this product. They also have a .05 concentration and it is recommended to start with that % before working up to the 1%. It's about $48 for 1 oz. Packaged to keep the retinol stable.

on 6/16/2010 5:36:00 AM

I am really happy with this product. It is very pricey in NZ, (about $95 incl postage) but well worth it. I had previously used Retin-ox (both the night and day creams) and I really like Retin-ox as a moisturiser, but to me that is all that it is ...a moisturiser. It does not make a visible difference in my opinion.

Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0 DOES make a visible difference. You need to be careful that you gradually increase how often you use it. My skin is in really good condition for its age (48yrs) probably because I have had oily skin up until the past couple of years. When I started using the Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0, I used it every 3rd night initially, then after about 10 days I starting using it on my face every night. It was/is fine for me and no I didn't get any tingling or anything.. but I did get very fine little dry patches on my face that I could wash off in the shower with exfoliating face wash. Make sure you apply a good facial sunscreen each morning.
I use the Retinol 1.0 on my neck too, BUT even now after using it for about 6 weeks, I can still only use it on my neck a maximum of once a week otherwise I get an itchy reaction. Be careful not to get the retinol too close to the outside corner of your eyes as that area is quite sensitive too. I find that I can use it without a problem on the orbital bone under and around my eyes, and I also apply it to the brow bone area under my eyebrows without any problem - but remember that if you are going to do that, use it very sparingly initially and build up to it so that you don't have a reaction! (by reaction I mean it could get overly dry/flakey skin or it might become red and itchy). I have combination normal/oily skin olive skin.
I will definitely buy this product again. It does the biz!!!

on 7/31/2008 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I'm writing this review as a warning to all those out there who think, like I did, that if 0.5% retinol is a good thing, then 1% must be twice as good. Think again.
I only used this on three occasions, once every 3 days, but I got a terrible peeling and redness, especially over my cheekbones and dryness and tightness everywhere else. I have never seen my skin looking like this. It has taken over a week to improve, that too with daily La Mer and Payot Creme no 2 application. I do not even consider my skin very sensitive-I rarely have redness. Because I hate waste, I will try it again after a few days, but will try and "buffer" it with a cream immediately. If that changes anything, I will update my review. I'm going back to the 0.5%, which is much better.
Edit 07/02/2010. It is actually possible to use this if I don't use it in winter, and also because my skin finally got used to it over several months of spaced-apart applications, but there is no real need to, because there appears to be no evidence that 1% is any better than 0.5%. 1% should really only be used by people who saw no effect with 0.5%, so really I should have stuck with the 0.5%. Unfortunately, and I think most people think this way, I wanted to use the strongest version I could tolerate because I thought it would work better. Even now when I can tolerate, it doesn't work any better than the 0.5%, so my advice would be to start with the lower strength and go up only if you think it's not helping.

on 12/28/2006 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Great retinol product! I had been using the 0.5%, but decided to kick it up a notch and go for this one. Even though I was used to the lower concentration I had to start slowly with this one by applying it every other or every third night, otherwise I would peel badly. Now I can use it almost every night, and it really has improved my skin. Less breakouts. I've pretty much come to the realization that I will have breakouts to some degree, but this just limits them drastically and heals them much faster than other skin care products I have tried. Retinol seems to really agree with my tempermental, acne-prone skin. I initially started with Roc (good product also) and then tried the Skinceuticals. For all those acne-prone people that get no benefit from the benzoyl peroxide or the salicylic acid, I definitely recommend retinol. They also have the added benefit of wrinkle prevention and evening of skin tone. My skin is also pretty soft now too.

on 12/27/2015 1:25:00 PM

I have been a Skinceuticals customer and fan for several years. Unfortunately, their inclusion of methylsothiazolinone in this product is negligent. Methylsothiazolinone is a biocide and neurotoxin. It is mainly found in drugstore shampoos and a few salon brands. I won't even buy a shampoo that contains it, and shampoos at least rinse out. I don't understand why a high end skincare brand would use this in a skincare product. Why not use oil of oregano, or colloidal silver, or something else that is not a neurotoxin? Unfortunately, it never occurred to me that Skinceuticals would include this ingredient in one of their high end products, and I purchased and used it and now must throw it out, which is the equivalent of throwing away a lot of money, but I'd rather throw away money than use a neurotoxin on my face.

Fortunately, SkinMedica offers a great alternative, and I am now using that.

on 1/14/2011 12:53:00 PM

One of my three "holy grail" skin products! Over time, regular use of this cream has knocked at least 10 years off of my face and neck area; nobody believes my age. I started using it several years ago, in a search for something to help with sunspots/hyperpigmentation I'd noticed beginning around my eyes and upper cheek area. I usually apply a thin layer of this product 2 or 3 times a week, and then apply my gentle night cream about half an hour later. Had some peeling/redness in the beginning months, but my skin got used to it in time. Looking back, I should have started with the .5 cream first, and then moved up to the 1.0; that's what I'd recommend for those just starting out. Be sure to use sunscreen religiously when you use a retinol product! Also, give it time to work - there were definitely some immediate results when I first started using this, but the true benefits were most noticable after a year or more of consistent and moderate use.