Palladio Rice Powder

Filtered by hair type : Other
Palladio Rice Powder
Rice PowderRice Powder

3.8

Finally a powder with NO SHIMMERS! This stuff is definetely matte. I got translucent and I'd say it has neutral undertones so it should work with both warm and cool. However it's also quite light and I'm more or less NW15 and this matches me perfectly so if you're darker, I would get the next shade darker. I've swatched many, many powders low-end and high-end and they all have stupid glitters/shimmers/sparkles which looks cheap, juvenile and ruins the concept of being matte. No titanium dioxide either thus more photogenic. The box is a little over 2x2 inches that has the lid open and close like a compact (I thought the whole lid would come off but one side is attached to the base thus flaps open kinda like a book). The packaging is what drew me towards this product the first place: a vintage 1930s Chinese calendar girl (NOT a geisha). All those trigger happy folks complaining that it's "racist" or "offensive" to have the Asian woman on the packaging: it's not racist or offensive at all. People complain that things are not multicultural enough and when there is one up like this packaging there are ignorant complaints that it's racist. Let's not drag race into everything shall we?

Back to my review, the scent is heavenly: it's not too overpowering and kinda reminds me of Chinese herb shops but in a good way and smells old-fashioned which I LOVE. Overall if you're looking for a matte loose powder w/o shimmers and a sucker for vintage packaging like me, go get it! I feel like I'm back in Old Shanghai when I use this and the pretty box sitting on my vanity table.

Edit: I realized the lid is taped on the base so you can either leave it or carefully peel and cut the tape off the lid. But I'll leave it on.

I bought this in Translucent due to the good reviews here in MUA, but sadly, this did not work for me. I've tried several ways of using it: a. As a setting powder- emphasized flakey spots; b. As a standalone powder/foundation- didn't fully sink into my skin no matter how much I buffed it on; c. As a touchup powder- looked weird & got cakey. Also, even if it says Translucent, it does have some color in it, & oxidized on me even if it was the only thing I have on my face. I'm not thrilled with the scent too and I got a few spots when I used it. To be fair, it also has some pros: a. Inexpensive; b. You get a lot of product; c. Contains some ingredients that are better than its competitors. I wanted to like this product so I kept it for a while, but when I cannot muster the energy to use it after a year, I chucked it away.

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral

About the packaging: the picture is not a picture of a geisha! In the 1950s a lot of Chinese calendars and other products had pictures of girls on them. This is a Chinese girl from the 1950s. She has the 50s perm and is wearing a Chinese dress. I am Chinese and don't find this picture offensive at all. It's supposed to be kitschy, like having a picture of Marilyn Monroe on your makeup compact. The Palladio Rice Powder packaging is a bit like the packaging of TheBalm cosmetics. I don't know if rice powder is an "ancient" Chinese beauty product as it's probably not possible to know what people used in those times; but it is a very old beauty product used in many parts of Asia (by old I mean hundreds of years old as opposed to 5 or 6 thousand years old, which is actually ancient). T.LeClerc also makes a loose rice powder that is perfumed. If you want to save money and find bismuth irritating to your skin, the Palladio is a cheaper option. The T.LeClerc loose powder also originally came in tins that were not travel friendly. I bought some in 2006 and I had to sticky tape the lid on for traveling. The main difference between the Palladio and T.LeClerc is that T.LeClerc makes more colours.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I was looking for a good setting and mattifying powder and Makeupgeek recommended this one because it was cheap and did the job. I bought this from Sally Beauty Supply for $4.50 which is a really good price compared to other brand name setting powders. I purchased the translucent powder and my first impression of the packaging is that it was cute, the little design and picture of the geisha was appealing to me. The only thing I didn't like about the packaging, and the product in general is that it is SO MESSY. I wish they would change it because it is super inconvenient especially if you want to travel.

To limit the mess I just shake a little bit of the formula into the lid and swirl my brush around and apply it to my face. It does not go on cakey, it smells really nice like baby powder almost. I am not a really oily faced person but it does keep my face in check especially when it is super hot outside. My friend also tried this and she has a greasy face and it really helped with her oiliness. It sets makeup beautifully and makes your face so soft and is good to blur out too much blush or bronzer. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a good mattifying powder without spending all the money on just a brand name.

on 12/23/2012 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

Much more affordable than BE Mineral Veil, but I don't like it as much. I'm very pale, NW20, and it still shows as a white powder on my skin. It doesn't settle and blend very well, and it seems to really collect around my nose, whether I'm wearing primer, foundation or just sunscreen. I tried it out, but I really don't love it and I'll pay a gazillion dollars more for mineral veil. If I was on a budget, I guess it would be ok, but with older skin, it's worth it to me to buy a product that works better for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I don't like this powder. I was looking for a loose powder to set my liquid foundation. I was using Mally Beauty Skin Finisher which is a translucent kind of powder but once I was taner it left a whit cast on my face. So after reading reviews here I picked this up at Ulta for about 5 bucks. I got this in the color warm beige and it makes me look orange. I thought maybe it was my new liquid foudation that looked off (clinique stay matte). My skin is very oily and i didnt feel that this keept me matte at all. But after trying other powders on top I know now that it was this. My b day just passed and I bought myself the Nars loose powder in desert which I like much better.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This product was ok. Once blended in, it sets makeup very nicely and is not as obvious as some (BE Mineral Veil). Oil control is decent. However, the packaging always caused me to spill it on my counter or my clothing, and after awhile, I noticed I avoided using it because I didn't want to bother. If you're looking for a cheap product to try, and loose powders don't bother you, definitely try it.

Edit: I don't like this product. Yes, it goes everywhere. Your hands, your countertops, your clothing... Second, it feels and looks more obvious and chalky than my new drugstore favorite, L'Oreal Hydra Perfecte

on 2/17/2012 4:36:00 PM

This product goes on smoothly and has a nice matte finish. It controls oil fairly well. The translucent shade has a bit of a yellow tint to it which doesn't really work for me. There's one reason why I won't buy this again. It builds up in pores and leaves dots of product there, making me look spotted up close. Maybe it wouldn't do that over a foundation, but alone it doesn't look right except from far away.

on 1/31/2012 12:14:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I honestly don't use a lot of loose powders. The only other one I have ever used is one by Aveda (sadly I don't know which one, and I don't think they sell it anymore). I decided to try it out after reading some reviews, and I can honestly see why it has great reviews. It gives beautiful coverage, doesn't cake up, doesn't clog pores, and it didn't break me out! I got it in translucent since the other colors looked too dark, and I haven't been disappointed. It kind of smells like baby powder, but its very faint.
My only problem with it is the packaging. While it is very cute, the cap comes off easily, and could make a mess if it were to drop. But other than that, its a fantastic product that I will definitely be purchasing again! ^_^

Best loose powder I have ever tried. Keeps me shine free for at least 6 hours with no cake!!! Love it!! The only thing that bums me is it does get a little messy, but most loose powders do. Would def buy again!!!