Palladio Rice Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Other
Palladio Rice Powder
Rice PowderRice Powder

4.2

Finally a powder with NO SHIMMERS! This stuff is definetely matte. I got translucent and I'd say it has neutral undertones so it should work with both warm and cool. However it's also quite light and I'm more or less NW15 and this matches me perfectly so if you're darker, I would get the next shade darker. I've swatched many, many powders low-end and high-end and they all have stupid glitters/shimmers/sparkles which looks cheap, juvenile and ruins the concept of being matte. No titanium dioxide either thus more photogenic. The box is a little over 2x2 inches that has the lid open and close like a compact (I thought the whole lid would come off but one side is attached to the base thus flaps open kinda like a book). The packaging is what drew me towards this product the first place: a vintage 1930s Chinese calendar girl (NOT a geisha). All those trigger happy folks complaining that it's "racist" or "offensive" to have the Asian woman on the packaging: it's not racist or offensive at all. People complain that things are not multicultural enough and when there is one up like this packaging there are ignorant complaints that it's racist. Let's not drag race into everything shall we?

Back to my review, the scent is heavenly: it's not too overpowering and kinda reminds me of Chinese herb shops but in a good way and smells old-fashioned which I LOVE. Overall if you're looking for a matte loose powder w/o shimmers and a sucker for vintage packaging like me, go get it! I feel like I'm back in Old Shanghai when I use this and the pretty box sitting on my vanity table.

Edit: I realized the lid is taped on the base so you can either leave it or carefully peel and cut the tape off the lid. But I'll leave it on.

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral

About the packaging: the picture is not a picture of a geisha! In the 1950s a lot of Chinese calendars and other products had pictures of girls on them. This is a Chinese girl from the 1950s. She has the 50s perm and is wearing a Chinese dress. I am Chinese and don't find this picture offensive at all. It's supposed to be kitschy, like having a picture of Marilyn Monroe on your makeup compact. The Palladio Rice Powder packaging is a bit like the packaging of TheBalm cosmetics. I don't know if rice powder is an "ancient" Chinese beauty product as it's probably not possible to know what people used in those times; but it is a very old beauty product used in many parts of Asia (by old I mean hundreds of years old as opposed to 5 or 6 thousand years old, which is actually ancient). T.LeClerc also makes a loose rice powder that is perfumed. If you want to save money and find bismuth irritating to your skin, the Palladio is a cheaper option. The T.LeClerc loose powder also originally came in tins that were not travel friendly. I bought some in 2006 and I had to sticky tape the lid on for traveling. The main difference between the Palladio and T.LeClerc is that T.LeClerc makes more colours.

Despite it is a good powder, I feel like it leaves my skin a little bit lighter than it is. It lasts all day and that's amazing.

on 12/23/2012 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

Much more affordable than BE Mineral Veil, but I don't like it as much. I'm very pale, NW20, and it still shows as a white powder on my skin. It doesn't settle and blend very well, and it seems to really collect around my nose, whether I'm wearing primer, foundation or just sunscreen. I tried it out, but I really don't love it and I'll pay a gazillion dollars more for mineral veil. If I was on a budget, I guess it would be ok, but with older skin, it's worth it to me to buy a product that works better for me.

on 2/17/2012 4:36:00 PM

This product goes on smoothly and has a nice matte finish. It controls oil fairly well. The translucent shade has a bit of a yellow tint to it which doesn't really work for me. There's one reason why I won't buy this again. It builds up in pores and leaves dots of product there, making me look spotted up close. Maybe it wouldn't do that over a foundation, but alone it doesn't look right except from far away.

on 7/13/2010 5:43:00 PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this product. One of the best powders I have ever tried!!! I have oily skin, for which it is really hard to find a good powder, but this lasts for about 5-6 hours on my nose area, but all day on other parts of my face, which is great!!! Others tend to disappear on my skin after 2-3 hours from the entire face :( And you get a decent amount for your money too. The smell kinda threw me off at first, but I got use to it.

With simple ingredians, it is good product that wearing during summer time, easy to absort the oil on the face.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a wonderfully fine loose powder that costs 1/10 the price of department store brands. The packaging, along with its foam application pad, are unfortunately pretty useless, imo. Also, the shades are not very versatile--my complexion is somewhere between the translucent (white alabaster) and natural (beige) shades offered, so I have to buy both and mix them in a separate container. Still, the price can't be beat, it suits its purpose nicely, so I can't really complain.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

After reading the reviews on this powder, I went ahead and got one at Sally's and I am sooo impressed. I told myself before that I am only going to use Bare Escentuals foundation and powder but after trying Palladio, this will definitely be a staple!

This is my new favorite powder.I was shocked that I could get this so cheap as well ( for $4.00) at sally beauty supply when I've spent up to $50.00 for other powders from other brands. This really is high quality powder and you'll love it :)