Palladio Rice Powder

Palladio Rice Powder
Rice PowderRice Powder

The overall consensus for this product seems to be positive and while the product itself seems to "do its job", I MUST warn everyone who's acne prone: this product contains rice products and if you're acne prone, this is very likely to cause breakouts. The rice powder feeds bacteria on the skin, both the "good" and the "bad" bacteria. Normally the "bad" bacteria are kept at bay because the "good" bacteria that are supposed to inhabit your skin are eating all of the available food sources, starving the bad guys. However, when you put this powder on your skin, you're basically adding more than enough "food" for the all of the bacteria and they start growing and multiplying like crazy. This, of course, leads to breakouts. I didn't start noticing any breakouts on my skin until I had used this for a few days and then they popped up all over my T-zone, which is exactly where I was applying this powder. It did help with mattifying my skin for a long time but at the price of MORE acne? No thanks.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Rice Powder is a very old form of makeup. Palladio gives a short history about the the use of rice powder, which I'll copy into this review. "Rice Powder is the refined starch from rice, known as Oryza Stavia. The powder of rice has been used for centuries in the ancient art of Ayurveda, a holistic healing practice. It is used as a poultice that soothes inflamed acne and skin ulcerations. It has been used by Asian women in their facial makeup and to wash their skin since the 16th century. It is considered an emollient, rich skin treatment." I love when brands include historical information on products. Palladio promises that their rice powder will absorb excess oils, maintaining the skin's pH balance. This loose powder can be used alone or to set foundations. Palladio offers three shades, I have translucent, the colorless option. Palladio's powder is non-comedogenic. You get a huge amount of product, 17g (.60oz) for just $5(MSRP). I believe I paid $6 or so though, I purchased it at my local Sally's. Palladio is a cruelty free brand. This rice powder was made, suitably, in China.
Palladio's packaging for their rice powder is cute, but not at all functional. This may be the least travel friendly makeup item that I own. The lid of this powder is silver plastic with a very cute label affixed to it, featuring a cute, very well drawn Asian girl. I've seen a few people complain that this is offensive, but I don't see why. She's well drawn with no over exaggerated features or stereotypical accessories. I'm partially Asian I like the label artwork. The label also features the name of the product and shade. The lid has no way of fastening to the body of the packaging. This needs to be fixed, it's a mess waiting to happen. Removing the lid reveals a square puff that I've discarded, but it's a nice puff. There's also a sifter to dispense only a bit of product at a time. To avoid messes, I pour a small amount of product in the lid. The bottom of this little square container features a label with directions, a full ingredient list, and a bit of product and company info.
Palladio's Translucent Rice Powder is velvety soft, dense, and quite finely milled. This powder isn't truly translucent. It's a very light flesh tone, probably too light for those with tan or darker skin. It actually matches my skin tone really, really well, had the name not been called "Translucent", I would've been impressed at how well this product matches me. I think Palladio should call this product "porcelain" or "ivory" or "light", calling it translucent is a lie. This product actually provides a decent amount of coverage, more than I'd expect from a "translucent" setting powder. This powder can be worn alone for light coverage, but on me it looks very powdery and cakey when worn alone. When patted, then buffed over foundation, this powder looks much, much better, it gives me a very matte but natural, even finish with minimal caking. I never feel the need to reapply this powder, which is great because this product is the opposite of portable. If you have a particularly oily skin type Palladio offers blotting sheets coated with the rice powder.
This loose powder has a very strong, perfumey, old lady-ish scent. It permeates the kabuki brush I use to apply this powder. The scent fades eventually but it does sit on the skin for a couple minutes after application.
I'm on the fence about Palladio's Translucent Rice Powder. The texture is goo, the coverage is surprisingly decent, and it gives a lovely finish to foundations. However, there are a lot of little things about this powder that annoy me, overshadowing the good results I get from it. The scent is too strong, the packaging is very inconvenient, and worst off, the color is not translucent. You get a load of product for a very reasonable price. If you're looking for a loose powder and Palladio is accessible to you (Sally's and Ulta are the most common place to find this brand), consider this powder. It's not perfect but it's a good product and a good value.

on 6/2/2011 4:50:00 PM

I've always used the expensive products (MAC, Lorac, Laura Mercier, Stila, etc.) and it doesn't matter if the product said "Oil Free", I still had TERRIBLE skin and an hour after I finished my makeup, I was shiny. I've been using this for 5 days (I ran out of my MAC Studio Fix and I've had this for a while) and already, my skin is soft, clear, and NOT OILY. I used to have acne bumps all over my face; blackheads; whiteheads; THE WHOLE DEAL, and it's ALL gone. Even if I put my makeup on at 6:20am, by 2:30pm, I'm not oily. And this has great coverage too!

For $5, this definitely beats MAC's Studio Fix Plus Foundation for $30.

Great buy, great results, I'm not switching back!

Finally a powder with NO SHIMMERS! This stuff is definetely matte. I got translucent and I'd say it has neutral undertones so it should work with both warm and cool. However it's also quite light and I'm more or less NW15 and this matches me perfectly so if you're darker, I would get the next shade darker. I've swatched many, many powders low-end and high-end and they all have stupid glitters/shimmers/sparkles which looks cheap, juvenile and ruins the concept of being matte. No titanium dioxide either thus more photogenic. The box is a little over 2x2 inches that has the lid open and close like a compact (I thought the whole lid would come off but one side is attached to the base thus flaps open kinda like a book). The packaging is what drew me towards this product the first place: a vintage 1930s Chinese calendar girl (NOT a geisha). All those trigger happy folks complaining that it's "racist" or "offensive" to have the Asian woman on the packaging: it's not racist or offensive at all. People complain that things are not multicultural enough and when there is one up like this packaging there are ignorant complaints that it's racist. Let's not drag race into everything shall we?

Back to my review, the scent is heavenly: it's not too overpowering and kinda reminds me of Chinese herb shops but in a good way and smells old-fashioned which I LOVE. Overall if you're looking for a matte loose powder w/o shimmers and a sucker for vintage packaging like me, go get it! I feel like I'm back in Old Shanghai when I use this and the pretty box sitting on my vanity table.

Edit: I realized the lid is taped on the base so you can either leave it or carefully peel and cut the tape off the lid. But I'll leave it on.

guys get oily skin too and working in the modelling industry the last few years ive learned some secret tricks not many know about reguarding guys and invisible makeup tricks!! while on one of my more hi-profile shoots, the makeup artist had this product sitting out and was applying it to all the of us male models. not being a stranger to having makeup applied in various textures and types (many of which irritated my sensitive skin) I was a little surprised this was all she was using on us. noticing my slight confusion she continued to explain that this product was perfect for men for everyday use and not just on females for a finishing product. she explained this product would go on sheer and light, airbrishing the skin, evening tone and keeping the shine at bay for hours. wow was she right. it literally looked like I had nothing on, yet my skin retained such a matte smooth and greasless appeal! the kicker was she explained she purchased this product at Sally stores which are easily accesible and nationwide. after the shoot I decided to bite the proverbial bullet and stop in and get one of these. I bought it in the warm beige since I do spray tan and also purchased a "blush brush" for application. this is my best kept beauty secret. it literally looks like I am wearing nothing but my own healthy skin. people compliment my skintone as well telling me they've never seen such flawless glowing skin on a man. i only apply it mainly to my T-Zone as thats usually my oil problem areas (entire forhead, nose, cheeks and a bit on my chin) much like a bronzer is applied. in fact, this CAN be used as bronzer minus all the shimmery nonsence they add to most nowdays. I use this product atleast 4-5 times a week and have had my product for almost a year and a half now. you CAN travel with it but its best to scotch tape it closed whilst in trasit to prevent spills. I recommend this to girls and guys alike who want to have that air brushed look, natural flawless coverage, price conscious and practical product thats nothing short of a miracle! and at just over $5, theres absolutely nothing to lose :) xoxo

on 5/15/2004 3:42:00 PM

I use both the dual Palladio wet/dry foundation powder and the Palladio loose rice powder and love them both. I tend to use the wet/dry foundation powder when I need a little more coverage, then I use the loose powder when I want to look less "done up." The loose powder is very light and natural looking, better than any loose powder I've ever used, although Sonia Kashuk's comes close...I first read about these products here at MUA, and it's one of the best recs I've ever gotten. Someone mentioned, though, that the packaging of the loose powder is pretty sucky, and she's right. It's a square cheapy container with a cute pic of a geisha girl on the lid--love the geisha girl, hate the cheap plastic. (The cheap container is what kept me from buying this stuff for years, as I've been seeing it around for some time now)...Just don't let the crappy packaging throw you off, because you'll be missing out on a great product.

on 11/15/2009 6:05:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a cheap, effective setting/mattifying loose powder. You have to use a VERY LITTLE bit or you look chalky, but it's great just dusted lightly over liquid foundation to set and mattify. I like using it in the late afternoon to "touch up" my makeup to get through until evening - it doesn't make my liquid foundation look cakey or obvious and doesn't settle into pores or lines.
I have it in Translucent and it has almost no color at all. It does have a scent that I don't really care for but the smell doesn't last.
Also - a trick I learned on a beauty blog - I'll dust on a teeny bit over primer and under foundation - it helps the foundation "grab" and helps keep oil from making the foundation slide or smear on my face.

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral

About the packaging: the picture is not a picture of a geisha! In the 1950s a lot of Chinese calendars and other products had pictures of girls on them. This is a Chinese girl from the 1950s. She has the 50s perm and is wearing a Chinese dress. I am Chinese and don't find this picture offensive at all. It's supposed to be kitschy, like having a picture of Marilyn Monroe on your makeup compact. The Palladio Rice Powder packaging is a bit like the packaging of TheBalm cosmetics. I don't know if rice powder is an "ancient" Chinese beauty product as it's probably not possible to know what people used in those times; but it is a very old beauty product used in many parts of Asia (by old I mean hundreds of years old as opposed to 5 or 6 thousand years old, which is actually ancient). T.LeClerc also makes a loose rice powder that is perfumed. If you want to save money and find bismuth irritating to your skin, the Palladio is a cheaper option. The T.LeClerc loose powder also originally came in tins that were not travel friendly. I bought some in 2006 and I had to sticky tape the lid on for traveling. The main difference between the Palladio and T.LeClerc is that T.LeClerc makes more colours.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Best oily skin setting powder ever!!!! I read somewhere online that using mineral products for a base can hold back the oil better than anything else on the market. This was after I almost tried using Milk of Magnesia and found out how bad the pH is for skin. I was annoyed and wanted to find an alternative and that is when I found out about Palladio's Rice Powder (and also the use of Hourglass Veil Mineral primer). The minerals apparently absorb the oil and help keep it at bay.

Let me give you some perspective. I use oil free moisturizer, foundation, and powder. But 1.5 hours after I put my makeup on, I already have to use a blotting paper. Three hours later, I have to use 2 of the large Sephora papers to blot my skin and then again every 2 hours, it is that bad.

With this rice powder (and the Hourglass primer), I am not shiny till about 4-5 hours later, and even then I only have to use 1-2 blotting papers and then I usually don't have to use them again unless I'm going out at night and want to get rid of a slight shine that develops. This stuff is absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G for people with oily skin.

I do wish there was some sort of a clasp or closing mechanism to keep the lid on. But to me, this rice powder is worth it. When I travel I will probably put some cotton in side and then put a rubber band around it. This won't keep me from not buying it though at all. It's only $2.99 for goodness sakes!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

IF you live somewhere where you are never (1) hot (2) humid or (3) both, you might want to skip this product.

If however you ever get hot, or sticky or both, I think you'll like this.

I just tried this powder because I have previously used and enjoyed the rice powder blotting papers. This nude colored powder is holding up to Hot Sticky Texas days quite well for me. I do apply it with a big brush to get the application even, because a little of this product goes a long way. I like the color and very matte texture. It doesn't feel heavy or perfumey.

If only it came in a better package. Be careful unwrapping because this powder comes in a solid cake and can break a bit and crumble at the edges.