L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.4

on 11/6/2017 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Back in the day when I colored my hair at home I played around with both Excellence and Preference. I like Excellence better - less runny, fewer chemical smells.

Preference is inexpensive but not great for fragile hair or hair that is already damaged.

I no longer DIY haircolor as my stylist is well worth the money spent.
That said - I would not buy this anymore - I would do a Garnier or maybe try Excellence Creme again.

Back them I used reddish/brown or auburn shades and also back then I did not have alot of gray.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this in 3 Soft Black seven weeks ago. I got beautiful results. BUT. I have healthy hair that takes color well. My hair is not subject to mechanical stress like tight braids or extensions or thermal stress (i don't own hot rollers and only blowout occasionally). I do not fight the texture of my hair (pin straight, Asian). I employ a gifted hairstylist who understands how to work with Asian hair. He also has the talent to translate to execute a hairstyle that fits my texture, my personal sense of style, and lifestyle. My one hair complaint is my going gray. Enter this product. I got a lawn/garden trash bag and cut holes in it to make a cheap disposable cape. I also used latex gloves purchased separately. Applied a balm to my hairline to prevent staining. I started with clean dry hair. I divided hair into 6 sections and i applied using a brush and bowl. I processed for 30 minutes. My hair felt like straw after rinsing out but after conditioning my hair felt silky. I waited 48 hrs to my next shampoo. It did indeed turn out a soft black, not flat or dull or shoe polish-like. And no hot roots. I ended up with very rich, glossy, lustrous color. My grays were covered, rather than just tinted. The gray parts came out a little but lighter but i think that kept the color looking dimensional. Four weeks out, my color was still looking rich and luscious. The conditioner is very nice. And while i have gray roots growing in, the colored parts are still colored! I think i will try the dark brown next. Bottom line: i have healthy hair and i did not attempt a dramatic change and ended up with a beautiful result.

on 7/3/2016 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I purchased in the new anti-brass brunette collection, 5C Mecium Cool Briwn. . And, of course, I got brassy, orangey roots. Can't believe it. Haven't had this problem in years as I typically use Natural Insticts or Colorsilk in dark brown. And, the ammonia smell was nauseating. So, be forewarned about this product. Does not live up to its claims. The only reason that I didn't give it a rating of 1 is my hair is in good condition after dying.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this in 4 Dark Brown, to use as a touch up kit for my gray roots. I figured it was plain old dark brown and should blend in with the other brands I normally use. However, the color came out lighter, more like a medium-dark brown shade (I checked the bottle to make sure it was indeed dark brown). It blended my grays as opposed to fully covering them, and there are still some grays present as well (after having left it on for 45 minutes). I was disappointed in the results and, for the price, I had hoped this would work far better than it did. I will be sticking with Nutrisse for full application jobs, and Colorsilk for root touch ups, as both are less expensive, the proper shade, and cover my grays completely.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I just colored my hair with L'Oréal Superior Preference in Cool Medium Brown, 5C...

This is the messiest, drippiest, most watery hair color I've ever used! This ran down my face, neck, and back constantly for the whole 45 minutes I had it on. Thank God I have a bottle of Color Off, or I'd look like a muddy zebra right now. What a pain!!!

Having vented about the dripping, I have to admit the color looks good. Really good. Especially considering I'm at, or over, 50% gray. The roots aren't especially hot (not yet, anyway) and the color is very multidimensional.

If it weren't for the drippiness, I'd give this product 5 lippies immediately. But the messiness with this formula makes it way too user unfriendly for me!!!

on 8/12/2017 8:02:00 AM

Brought 5 Palma (Plaine Jane.) Brown. Touched up my brunette roots to cover the grey. No grey coverage and orange roots. This tells me there's peroxide in it, which I was trying to avoid (Trying to avoid chemicals and peroxides in my hair). But ewww, gross. Will not buy again, even though I've used this shade before without a problem.

on 4/26/2016 4:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Okay so I previously tried dying my hair a violet brown color- didn't work. Turned my roots bright orangey red and my ends were violet brown. Well seeing as I am a teacher, I CANNOT go to school with such crazy toned hair.
So at 12 am, I ran to Walmart to grab ANYTHING to cover the nasty, bright red. I debated between colors and remembered that cool tones counteract warm tones (red!). So I needed something cool toned.
I decided to just go with a brown color, my natural hair color.
I saw the l'oreal preference cool darkest brown 3c and said WHATEVER I need this red out now. It was one of the only dyes that said COOL on it.
I bought it and HOLY SHIT IT SMELLS. Eyes=BURN. SCALP=BURN. but my scalp burning probably had to do with the fact that I previously dyed my hair 1 hour before lol. Anyway THIS COVERED THE RED PERFECTLY. I do like the cool tones in it, although I wanted something bright for Spring. Oh well, this works and I LOVE it.
Oh and the price was kind of high. For 2 boxes I paid, 20$

Bought this in the amber brown colour (#65) which looks very close to my natural colour on the box in an attempt to dye my henna/indigo-ed hair back to my natural shade. Now the box dose say not to use it on hennaed hair, though that is due to some premix henna having metals in them which can react with the chemicals of the dye and i mixed my own so i wasn't worried. I have about an inch of undyed regrowth. My roots ended up an orangey red colour, and the rest of my hair seems to be the black brown it was before, which doesn't surprise me. The reason i gave this product only 1/5 is not because it didn't dye my henna/indigo dyed hair but because my natural hair is now almost orange, instead of the medium brown it shows on the box.

on 1/24/2016 11:36:00 AM

I had light brown hair that went too warm, almost reddish, from a previous hair dye several months before. I saw online that the 8.1 from L'Oreal Superior Preference can cool down this type of color turning it into a nice beige brown. It didn't do that for me, my hair turned slightly yellow, with full blown orange at the roots. This has been my favorite hair brand for a very long time but now I am completely disappointed and unfortunately will have to spend a lot of money to fix my hair at the salon. I do not recommend this product to anyone that wants to go ashy or beige.

I just wanted to say, the gloves that come with your Paris Preference colouring are absolutely ridiculous. They are made for children s hands. By the time i finally got them on my hands there were so many holes & i had already mixed the colour, so i had no choice but to "use" them. Resulting in colour patches all over my hands. I think you really need to rethink your choice of gloves, not everyone has small hands...

Popular Hair Color Products