L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.5

on 7/3/2016 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I purchased in the new anti-brass brunette collection, 5C Mecium Cool Briwn. . And, of course, I got brassy, orangey roots. Can't believe it. Haven't had this problem in years as I typically use Natural Insticts or Colorsilk in dark brown. And, the ammonia smell was nauseating. So, be forewarned about this product. Does not live up to its claims. The only reason that I didn't give it a rating of 1 is my hair is in good condition after dying.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this in 4 Dark Brown, to use as a touch up kit for my gray roots. I figured it was plain old dark brown and should blend in with the other brands I normally use. However, the color came out lighter, more like a medium-dark brown shade (I checked the bottle to make sure it was indeed dark brown). It blended my grays as opposed to fully covering them, and there are still some grays present as well (after having left it on for 45 minutes). I was disappointed in the results and, for the price, I had hoped this would work far better than it did. I will be sticking with Nutrisse for full application jobs, and Colorsilk for root touch ups, as both are less expensive, the proper shade, and cover my grays completely.

To Read all 198 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/26/2016 4:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Okay so I previously tried dying my hair a violet brown color- didn't work. Turned my roots bright orangey red and my ends were violet brown. Well seeing as I am a teacher, I CANNOT go to school with such crazy toned hair.
So at 12 am, I ran to Walmart to grab ANYTHING to cover the nasty, bright red. I debated between colors and remembered that cool tones counteract warm tones (red!). So I needed something cool toned.
I decided to just go with a brown color, my natural hair color.
I saw the l'oreal preference cool darkest brown 3c and said WHATEVER I need this red out now. It was one of the only dyes that said COOL on it.
I bought it and HOLY SHIT IT SMELLS. Eyes=BURN. SCALP=BURN. but my scalp burning probably had to do with the fact that I previously dyed my hair 1 hour before lol. Anyway THIS COVERED THE RED PERFECTLY. I do like the cool tones in it, although I wanted something bright for Spring. Oh well, this works and I LOVE it.
Oh and the price was kind of high. For 2 boxes I paid, 20$

I just wanted to say, the gloves that come with your Paris Preference colouring are absolutely ridiculous. They are made for children s hands. By the time i finally got them on my hands there were so many holes & i had already mixed the colour, so i had no choice but to "use" them. Resulting in colour patches all over my hands. I think you really need to rethink your choice of gloves, not everyone has small hands...

on 1/24/2016 11:36:00 AM

I had light brown hair that went too warm, almost reddish, from a previous hair dye several months before. I saw online that the 8.1 from L'Oreal Superior Preference can cool down this type of color turning it into a nice beige brown. It didn't do that for me, my hair turned slightly yellow, with full blown orange at the roots. This has been my favorite hair brand for a very long time but now I am completely disappointed and unfortunately will have to spend a lot of money to fix my hair at the salon. I do not recommend this product to anyone that wants to go ashy or beige.

Bought this in the amber brown colour (#65) which looks very close to my natural colour on the box in an attempt to dye my henna/indigo-ed hair back to my natural shade. Now the box dose say not to use it on hennaed hair, though that is due to some premix henna having metals in them which can react with the chemicals of the dye and i mixed my own so i wasn't worried. I have about an inch of undyed regrowth. My roots ended up an orangey red colour, and the rest of my hair seems to be the black brown it was before, which doesn't surprise me. The reason i gave this product only 1/5 is not because it didn't dye my henna/indigo dyed hair but because my natural hair is now almost orange, instead of the medium brown it shows on the box.

I found this color in the shade Deepest Indigo (NF02) at the dollar store. Went to the Superstore the next day and saw it there for almost fifteen dollars, so I lucked out big time!

This is the best Blue-black haircolor I have ever used, and Ive tried almost every brand. This makes my hair oh so shiny, and it looks amazing. Blue shimmer every time it catches the light. I'll be buying this ANY TIME I find it on sale.

on 9/25/2015 5:50:00 PM

I have never used this before, I bought "medium golden brown". I do have a lot of grey, I'm guessing 20% grey, so I decided to buy the Superior Preference. I usually buy Ash medium browns, but felt like a change. The inside of the box has instructions with a warning that should be on the "outside" of the box. It states that due to three different red dyes (they list) that anyone with over 25% grey should not use. Most would think the "superior" would mean for a lot of grey coverage. At least I thought that when I bought it. I know usually the warm shades have more red dye so I'll try this in Ash if after a while too much red is in my hair. This first time, it looks really good and has much more shine than after using Nice & Easy, it rinsed out easier, and the large tube of conditioner was better and does NOT smell like fruit candy which is dislike, so that is even better.

on 8/25/2015 10:46:00 AM

I used L'Oreal Excellence for years, but finally switched because no matter what shade I tried it always ended up leaving me with this cheap red looking tint. (I know someone else who uses this brand and they don't have the same problem.) I was initially quite happy with the Preference because I finally lost the red tint. Unfortunately, after a year's use, my hair is in very bad shape. I can't believe these two hair dyes are made by the same company. To add insult to injury, Preference is more expensive than Excellence. Maybe the Excellence's pre-conditioner is a miracle worker, I don't know. I'm now trying Garner Nutrisse. Hopefully, I'll be able repair this damaged mess.

Update: I am still using Garnier Nutrisse even though I'm not crazy about the color, however, my hair is so much healthier. I have several inches of shiny, unbroken hair followed by very dry, damaged and broken hair (from my time using Preference).

on 8/18/2015 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

First time - COLORED MY OWN HAIR - grabbed a color from drugstore
Mistakenly bought 5CB = medium chestnut brown

Did in garage with hubby hale

Did not even do the roots, plus all over - just all over - no strand test - just timed to 25 min

CONS
1). STINKS - stay in a well ventilated area
2). Stings will burn damage your eyes
3). Difficult to do on your own = smell = eyes

PROS
1), My hair came out so soft, and true to color and SHINEY
2). It pulled red (DUH) and thus I would say it is true to color CHESTNUT brown (duh!)
3). The cream they give you / conditioner is awesome
4). Much of my frizz was gone
5). Was fairly even all over perhaps ends a tad dark got a hair cut

E-SALON 8 WEEKS LATER CUSTOM COLOR
I tried E-Salon 8 weels later sent in photos and described what I wanted

PROS
1). Did not smell as much No Stink, paint on with brush, not sure it was any easier
2). Did change and correct color - removed red
3). Needed a trim, ends too dark

CONS
1). My hair was LIKE STRAW - unbelievable no silky soft feeling
2). Had to super deep condition over and over
3). Color Did not last long, my hair color faded, turned red and had tons of frizz
4). Seemed to get color all over me and not easy to remove (elbows, hairline, etc)

BACK TO LOREAL SUPERIOR PREFERENCE

Went to a lighter color 6 Natural Brown

PROS
1). In 25 minutes, my hair wnt to a frizzy yucky multi colored mess to a silky medium chocolate brown
2). VERY Silky Hair
3). Smooth easy - easy to blow out - no frizz
4). under $10 for a gorgeous just as good as the salon color (saved me $100)

CONS -- none really

I was more careful this time, watched my eyes and skin, had hubby help 25 did in garge and was well ventilated

In 25 minutes I had a gorgeous silky mane

It is a tad dark but will lighten up in a few washings

NO RED - nice chocolate brown color - slightly warm

Do need to get my ends trimmed (has been 3 mo) as ends are a tad dark and too long

Video Reviews & Tutorials