L'Oreal Paris Superior Preference Hair Colour

Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.4

on 8/31/2018 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is junk. I've been dying my hair for 10 years and this is by far the worst hair dye I've ever used. My boyfriend grabbed it for me because he couldn't find the one I wanted and I wish I would have just gone back and gotten my usual (not L'oreal). This stuff is so runny I had to constantly stop to wipe up the drips on my face and neck. Not to mention how my eyes burned from being near the chemicals in this. I left it on for the recommended time, however, after rinsing my hair vigorously for FIFTEEN MINUTES, my hair still felt disgusting and I gave up. I put their conditioner in and it didn't help one bit even after letting it sit for 10 minutes. I attempted to let it dry for about 4 hours before I couldn't take it anymore and jumped BACK in the shower to intensely wash this crap out! After deep conditioning with my usual, my hair feels quite a bit better but is definitely damaged now. I still cannot get over nasty this stuff was! What a pain.

on 8/19/2018 5:13:00 PM

It is the end of summer and my naturally light brown hair was getting lighter from the sun, the swimming and the chlorine (since I live in FL). Oddly, the John Frieda colors I was alternating between 7g and 6 were never really that brassy, but holy Hannah, the herbal instincts 7g was. I actually had such flaming hot roots I was horrified. My 12 yr old didn’t want to be seen with me. I then toned it from Sally’s will two wella toners. This was getting spendy. Note: if most toning for blondes recommends 20 v, if I had to do it again I would have done 10v. Still brassy, still orange. Enter L’Oréal performing preference ‘cools’line 3 C cool brown. I figured any permanent blue and/or green undertones has to help. Box dye comes with 20v developer anyhow so for people like me who pull orange, know that you need an ash or cool to counteract that. So long story short, this dye fixed what semipermanent herbal instincts 7g ruined, what Sally’s count fix with toner. Is it drippy? Yes so be careful. Smell? Eh. Kept window open. 9 bucks a box and I needed 2? Ok. Overall Two thumbs up!

on 5/26/2018 2:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Terrible product! It drips like crazy and I've been dying my hair since middle school. It smells so strong my eyes watered. Nasty stuff. This has never happened to me before. It's almost impossible to spread because it drips so much. It's very watery. Gets everywhere. The Revlon colorsilk dye for $3 is better than this. Do not buy! I only got this because it was on sale at Ulta and I had a coupon. Waste of money.

on 5/18/2018 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Yuck yuck never again!

I have dyed my hair for many many years and I've never had a hairdye that did not want to rinse out of my hair like this junk. I'm not sure what it was, but after rinsing my hair of the dye after the recommended 25 min and rinsing my own deep conditioner out of my hair to set it, I was trying to dry my hair and it just felt clumpy, greasy, and my hands kept getting covered in this oilish residue, like I'd never rinsed my hair. It was so gross that I stopped trying to dry my hair and immediately hit the shower and washed my hair three times with shampoo to get the feeling out of my hair! And I only used half of the hair dye!!!! After that, my hair was fine but I noticed the bottle I used to mix the color had a greasy slime residue inside it -- and I had already rinsed it out. I had to re-clean the bottle and all this oily residue came out.

Threw the other half of the dye in the trash. Never again. The color was 6C light cool brown and it was okay for an ash tone but Revlon's light ash brown is way better, ammonia free, no gross mixture (actually makes your hair super shiny) and just $2.99. Skip this crap!!!!

on 11/6/2017 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Back in the day when I colored my hair at home I played around with both Excellence and Preference. I like Excellence better - less runny, fewer chemical smells.

Preference is inexpensive but not great for fragile hair or hair that is already damaged.

I no longer DIY haircolor as my stylist is well worth the money spent.
That said - I would not buy this anymore - I would do a Garnier or maybe try Excellence Creme again.

Back them I used reddish/brown or auburn shades and also back then I did not have alot of gray.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used this in 3 Soft Black seven weeks ago. I got beautiful results. BUT. I have healthy hair that takes color well. My hair is not subject to mechanical stress like tight braids or extensions or thermal stress (i don't own hot rollers and only blowout occasionally). I do not fight the texture of my hair (pin straight, Asian). I employ a gifted hairstylist who understands how to work with Asian hair. He also has the talent to translate to execute a hairstyle that fits my texture, my personal sense of style, and lifestyle. My one hair complaint is my going gray. Enter this product. I got a lawn/garden trash bag and cut holes in it to make a cheap disposable cape. I also used latex gloves purchased separately. Applied a balm to my hairline to prevent staining. I started with clean dry hair. I divided hair into 6 sections and i applied using a brush and bowl. I processed for 30 minutes. My hair felt like straw after rinsing out but after conditioning my hair felt silky. I waited 48 hrs to my next shampoo. It did indeed turn out a soft black, not flat or dull or shoe polish-like. And no hot roots. I ended up with very rich, glossy, lustrous color. My grays were covered, rather than just tinted. The gray parts came out a little but lighter but i think that kept the color looking dimensional. Four weeks out, my color was still looking rich and luscious. The conditioner is very nice. And while i have gray roots growing in, the colored parts are still colored! I think i will try the dark brown next. Bottom line: i have healthy hair and i did not attempt a dramatic change and ended up with a beautiful result.

on 8/12/2017 8:02:00 AM

Brought 5 Palma (Plaine Jane.) Brown. Touched up my brunette roots to cover the grey. No grey coverage and orange roots. This tells me there's peroxide in it, which I was trying to avoid (Trying to avoid chemicals and peroxides in my hair). But ewww, gross. Will not buy again, even though I've used this shade before without a problem.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I just colored my hair with L'Oréal Superior Preference in Cool Medium Brown, 5C...

This is the messiest, drippiest, most watery hair color I've ever used! This ran down my face, neck, and back constantly for the whole 45 minutes I had it on. Thank God I have a bottle of Color Off, or I'd look like a muddy zebra right now. What a pain!!!

Having vented about the dripping, I have to admit the color looks good. Really good. Especially considering I'm at, or over, 50% gray. The roots aren't especially hot (not yet, anyway) and the color is very multidimensional.

If it weren't for the drippiness, I'd give this product 5 lippies immediately. But the messiness with this formula makes it way too user unfriendly for me!!!

on 7/3/2016 12:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I purchased in the new anti-brass brunette collection, 5C Mecium Cool Briwn. . And, of course, I got brassy, orangey roots. Can't believe it. Haven't had this problem in years as I typically use Natural Insticts or Colorsilk in dark brown. And, the ammonia smell was nauseating. So, be forewarned about this product. Does not live up to its claims. The only reason that I didn't give it a rating of 1 is my hair is in good condition after dying.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this in 4 Dark Brown, to use as a touch up kit for my gray roots. I figured it was plain old dark brown and should blend in with the other brands I normally use. However, the color came out lighter, more like a medium-dark brown shade (I checked the bottle to make sure it was indeed dark brown). It blended my grays as opposed to fully covering them, and there are still some grays present as well (after having left it on for 45 minutes). I was disappointed in the results and, for the price, I had hoped this would work far better than it did. I will be sticking with Nutrisse for full application jobs, and Colorsilk for root touch ups, as both are less expensive, the proper shade, and cover my grays completely.

Popular Hair Color Products