Guerlain L'Instant Magic

Guerlain L'Instant Magic

"A Baby Powder Bomb With a Bit of (White?) Musk"

Category: Floral Woody Musk

Top Notes: Anise, Bergamot, Lemon.

Heart Notes: Mimosa, Carnation, Violet, Freesia, Rose.

Base Notes: Iris, Sandalwood, Almond, Vanilla, Cedar, Musk.

Projection: Decent

Sillage: Decent

Longevity: Good

The house of Guerlain is unquestionably my favourite house, and I own many, many of its fragrances including the original L'Instant which I quite like and would not hesitate to recommend, so with high expectations I recently added L'Instant Magic, EdP to my collection. I have worn it a few times now, and whilst it is not a bad fragrance at all, it is not as nice as I thought it would be, and perhaps this is because the legendary J-P Guerlain did not create this fragrance for the house. Who knows?

L'instant Magic has a very strong powdery note all the way into the deep dry down. It is not a "make-up" type of powder but a baby powder kind of powder, and it truly dominates this fragrance. Whilst there is nothing wrong with the scent of baby powder, I do not find it very sophisticated, and if I wanted to smell like baby powder, I certainly could do so for a lot less money.

I am truly sorry to say that this fragrance is definitely NOT the usual Guerlain quality, and it is definitely NOT worth the price, and unless you really love the smell of baby powder, you probably will not be too impressed with this fragrance. Instead, and unless you already own them, I recommend you purchase Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue, Samsara, or even the original L'Instant for half the price of Magic and get truly beautiful, sophisticated, and romantic fragrances in the bargain. It pains me greatly to say it, for after all this is a Guerlain, but I have smelt Bath and Body Works fragrances that are more sophisticated and more compelling than is Magic, e.g. Black Amethyst. Before you commit to spending this much money for Magic, please try to sample it first. You will be glad you did so. I wish I had done so.

on 4/4/2015 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love the original L'Instant de Guerlain for women, but found it too feminine for my taste (as a guy). It's a lovely honeyed amber, but it screamed on my skin. When I heard this was being discontinued (SAD SAD SAD), I looked on here at the notes and took a chance. A friend told me I would like it (knowing my style). I have it in the parfum and the EDP. The parfum is in a beautiful stopper bottle, and it's a very powdery scent, and musky. The licorice note is just right (but I understand many did not like this). This is a beautiful scent that I wish wasn't discontinued!

Mmmm....I am, admittedly, a Guerlain lover. This lovely, gorgeous scent is no exception. This was recommended to me as I was looking for an almondy scent, and sadly this did NOT fit the bill on me. I think I'm just out of luck with the almond note, it rarely even shows up on my skin--not sure why. So for me, this scent starts out all bergamot and vanilla---bright and sweet, a hint of tart and sort of powdery from the get go (the powdery is due to the iris, of course, and is lovely but not overpowering). The drydown is a bit of rose, a bit of sandalwood, and a lot of soft musk. It is GORGEOUS. It has the traditional Guerlain feel to it (thank you, citrus!!) and overall it combines sweet, sexy, and cozy in a fantastic scent. If you can hunt this down, DO IT. You will not regret it!
(crosspost)

on 5/19/2013 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I think L'instant Magic is the kind of perfume Arwen from The Lord of The Rings would wear. I'd never call it sexy but it's undoubtedly ultra-feminine and romantic in a pure, innocent way with an underlying dynamism.

Starts with a fresh lemon/bergamot combination that is rapidly replaced by lots of (powdery) almonds, soft (powdery) violets and a smidge of (powdery) rose. All of them infused with the signature ''a la Guerlain'' vanilla.
The drydown is quite different as the initial part wears off and I mostly get skin-like musk and the subtle woody notes. Flawlessly blended. I'm very happy to find an almond - vanilla including perfume that actually works since Hypnotic Poison was a disaster on my skin.

I'd say projection is moderate and lasts for 5-6 hours.
L'instant Magic won't be the one to wear when in the mood to impress but I find it very calming and alluring in an effortless, relaxed way. I really like it!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Strong, heavy but sweet scent upon spraying it. I can smell a mixture of flowers and lemon. I find it a bit too strong at this point.

After the top notes have died down it has changed into a warm, sweet floral smell. It's also a bit powdery.

I like the drydown best. The smell is simply beautiful. I'm getting mostly vanilla with some iris. Unfortunately unlike many I can barely make out the almond on my skin.

I really like L'Instant Magique, the only downside is that the initial smell is a bit strong and therefore a little harsh on the nose. This problem is only around for the first hour of wearing it. I wished I could distinguish more of the almond too, but I guess that's up to my own skin. It's a luxurious fragrance that I personally would wear at night time (though the delicious smelling dry down could also work very well during the day).

on 1/8/2015 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I'm not a big fan of Guerlain in general. I do love Guerlain Jicky Edt., and Secret Intention which as I've been told is not characteristic of a Guerlain at all. I tried L'Instant as it was suppose to be a gourmand, specifically honey fragrance, which was awful on my skin. L'Instant Magic is a soft oriental, not gourmand, just warm and inviting. This is a " come hither" scent with a bit of sweetness (the honey I wanted in L'Instant) and dare I say.. .baby powder, which I like when it's got some adult fun thrown in (think KM Loukhoum without the heavy roses and thick syrup). A little amber here, a little floral there.. a little vampiness if you're in that kind of mood! Yeah. Long staying power, takes little time to dry down on the skin, so you're raring to go and it is pretty consistently linear. Not to wear in hot/humid weather as it would overwhelm someone, but in cooler climates it certainly dictates 'come cuddle dear..... " LOVE!!

on 8/28/2011 9:55:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

My first try of this was a rather nice powdery comfort blanket scent, without being gourmand or vanilla in any way. I am EXTREMELY picky about powder in my fragrance as I don't like it as a note. There are some exceptions (Miller Harris Fleur Oriental for one) and I thought this would be one, as it's just so soft and pretty. Nope. Second try, I put more on and it's very VERY powdery, so much so that if I wear it near my husband I'll get the grimace. So in the end I got a very powdery scent with a citrus edge which reminds me of Shalimar on me minus the nasty sticky edge. (Shalimar is not my friend, sadly). This one is a pass.

on 11/3/2012 7:47:00 PM

It's taken me a long time to write about this very intimate love. It can be difficult to put something so emotional into words. But....I'll try......(that's why we're here right??)

Soft, powdery, romance. This is ultra feminine cloud like nirvana on my skin. I get compliments every time I wear this. It's the stuff of pink tulle and satin slippers. There's not an aggressive bone in this perfumes body. It draws people closer, creates an aura of trust. (My very favorite type of scent!)This is a comfort scent that you could wear to the opera or at home watching a movie and it would be perfectly appropriate in either place. For me this is also one that gets a lot of attention from men. (Usually wondering what it is so that they can get some for their wives....)

This is blended seemlessly. I get no corrolation between this one and the original. I find them to be quite different. Magique is freesia, vanille, and almonds predominantly on my skin. I can smell a bit of rose as well but for the most part my nose doesn't take this creation apart.That's fine w/me. I have no desire to isolate the notes when the overall effect is so alluring.

This is 100% Magique indeed w/my chemistry. It's one of those rare finds that feels as if it were custom made just for me. The body lotion for this is an exact duplication of the scent. Love it! I also have the pure parfum and it's also fabulous. Just a couple of dabs will last beautifully all day and into the evening.

If I were to use one word to describe this gorgeous aroma it would be~captivating.I believe that's the perfect word. It would have made for a short review however......

on 1/4/2012 5:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I am really impressed with this one. I just dabbed a little sample on my wrist and let it settle. I was pleased to notice a very classy, comforting, powdery fragrance that had a subtle edge of sensuality. This reminds me a lot of a more subdued modern version of Santa Maria Novella's Melograno. Hmm, I will have to continue testing this and apply it over my neck and wrists in order to decide if it is full-bottle worthy.

Popular Fragrances