Baking Soda & Corn Starch

Baking Soda & Corn Starch

4.6

Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

Works well as a deodorant that is natural and not going to really irritate you. With so many chemicals in different products now days it's worth it to be careful what you put on/in you. I usually do this 1/5 parts baking soda + organic cornstarch. and 1 part coconut oil

It stops excessive sweating and bad smell in the pits right in its tracks!

I'm here both to add to the chorus singing this combo's praises, and to add my own twist that I think will be valuable to others. I followed the recommendations here to add equal parts baking soda and corn starch to coconut oil until it was icing consistency. Add a few drops tea tree oil and I had the best deodorant (natural or otherwise) I've ever tried in my life! One time, however, I was out of corn starch and only had glutinous rice flour (the thai brand, with green print on a clear bag, ~$1 at asian groceries) and it was a revelation. The final product holds together *much* better, so that I can use it in a push up container (see the white container in the photo above) and skip the finger mess. I hold it against my skin 5-10 seconds to melt it and then dab it around. When the weather is warmer, I add a bit more rice flour to help things stay together. It doesn't even leak out of the bottom, which is a simple "push pop" style base.

To Read all 47 Reviews, Login or Join

This literally works better than commercial deodorants. You'll still sweat, but it won't cause yellow stains on light colored clothes because this doesn't contain aluminum like most other deodorants. I cannot recommend this enough. I know it seems too good to be true, but just try it and you'll see.

I'll start this review by saying, I'm a sweaty Betty. A stinky pinky. A funky punky. Then, I have the nerve to work out 4 days a week! With the aforementioned being said, I have to try 2 times as hard as another person to keep my hygiene in check. Reapplying twice a day. Scrubbing my pits, drinking hella water, avoiding pungent foods...Yeah, you get it.

So, I've done this several ways. I did the "stick" version of this, where you add shea butter, tea tree, coconut oil, the BC/CS, and some organic beeswax to make it stick together in a solid form. Yeah, no. The shea butter kept my pits in a constant state of greasiness (even after the detox period), which my sweaty pits loved because it now had someone to join the sweat party. Then, the weirdest thing would occur; my pits would smell okay, but my shirt, after getting wet from my sweat would STINK. I mean, STANK. So, I'd rub my stick on the outside of the shirt (if I had it with me, otherwise I'd have to just walk around like a penguin), and the smell would go away, SOMETIMES (emphasis on sometimes). I've seen this mentioned by two different women on blogs that recommended this combination after I scoured the net trying to figure out what's wrong with me. But, I continued to use it. After about 4 weeks of use, I developed a rash so bad it hurt when I closed my arms. On to the next plan...

I then did this with 1/4 cup of coconut oil, 1/4 of the BC/CS each. It worked for the first month, while I was off on winter break. I thought, "man, life is great, I cracked my own stank code." Then, I went back to work. I'm an instructor, so I do not sit down. I am constantly walking around, assisting my students as I work in a computer lab. It was during my first class back, I smelled something a bit stinky. Then, came to the realization that it was me, funky punky (again). After class was over, I realized that again, the sweat got on my shirt and made it smell, while my underarms smelled decent. I continued to use it, but adding a reg. deo (Dove) to the outsides of my shirt, but not on my skin. If I even missed one spot of the Dove, that area would get an odor. Just dangit weird!

Fast forward to now, a rash is starting to develop :/. Plus, for the last few days, it's just not working for me anymore like it used to. Today, during my workout class, the teacher cracked a window. I kinda feel like I had something to do with that. Oops, LOL. With the impeding rash, and having to use alum. deo. on the outsides of my shirt (and avoiding my dark/black shirts because of this), I think this is it for me. I may try it in the powder form, but I am reluctant to try it because, well, I need more.

Wrote this review for my fellow punkies and Bettys out there. It DOES help control odor, but, be aware that it may cause the stinky shirt phenomenon and/or stop working all together. But, the show must go on and I will continue to scour the net. Ending off on a disappointing note, I cannot recommend this.

Ps: if you know of something that works for people like me, that's alum. and paraben free, drop me a line!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This does work, but it is too unpractical and inconvenient for me to keep using it. In the summer it does leave a residue on clothes. Putting it in a roller ball applicator would be a solution, but in the winter I would need to transfer it too something else. In the winter it has a drier texture, making it crumbly and messy. It's easy for this to get on my clothes, roll onto the floor...(I'm talking about the coconut oil/baking soda/corn starch)

I've had poor luck with store bough natural deodorants, but I'm going to try spraying witch hazel. Antibacterial like vinegar, but the smell is more neutral.

on 12/27/2015 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using a natural deodorant for 2 years. I mix up the following in a little glass jar:
-2 tbsp baking soda; 2 tbsp corn starch; 3 tbsp coconut oil

I will never go back to commercial deodorant. This works. Like everyone else said, you may still sweat a bit in summer, but no odor!

When switching to natural from chemical deodorant, you may go through a 'detox' period where it seems it's not working - but stay with it and give your skin time to adjust.

Remember, the trick, too, is to exfoliate every so often. I usually do so the same day I exfoliate my face - about once a week with honey/brown sugar.

This stuff works. I copied the ratio given by the ladies here, it worked but for about 6-8 hours only. I figured it could be improved so I tweaked it and added few drops of tea tree oil (anti bacterial, anti fungal, etc) and it worked absolutely fabulous!!! No stinkies for more than 24hours 💕💕💕

You will still sweat, but no stink. Downside for me is that the stuff "crumbles" and it would show if you are wearing tank tops, you need to dust it off

EDIT: I developed a rash in the creases (red, linear) on both armpits :( I stopped using it first, applied hydrocortisone. Will stop using first. Hopefully I can find make the rash go away. When it does, i Will add more cornstarch and oil to the mixture, and will follow the advice of using acv+water toner prior to using the BS+CS coconut oil paste

on 12/9/2015 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

makeupalley - you did it again!
i've been searching for a natural alternative to the drugstore deodorant for quite some time. found nothing that would make me buy them again. they promise a lot, most (but not all) smell good, but they fail to deliver and can be quite expensive too.
makeupalley to the rescue. after reading all the reviews, i was worried that baking soda could be too abrasive, so I started with 2/3 organic corn starch and 1/3 of baking soda.
added just a tbs of virgin organic coconut oil to keep the dry ingredients from flying everywhere. i am truly amazed - this wonderful mixture works like a charm.
i happen to like the smell of unrefined coconut oil, so i did not add any essential oils to the mix. but you can add a few drops of your favorite eo, depending on your needs and olfactory preferences.
put it into a charming glass container with a wide opening. with a fluffy makeup brush from target, applying it is not only functional, but feel luxurious. kind of like applying finishing powder when you take time with your makeup. love it!
no plastic tubes, no rubbing baking soda with sensitive fingertips. btw, it leaves absolutely no white residue on your clothing. none!
thank you all for sharing this wonderful natural deodorant. so easy to make, so healthy and easy for everyday use.

on 11/26/2015 9:57:00 PM

NO deodorant kept me from stinking even though I never perspire. Strong antiperspirants are just that: strongly medicated to stop sweating, not odor, so that doesn't help me. THIS IS THE FIRST THING THAT HAS EVER TOTALLY STOPPED ME FROM STINKING when I smell myself the next day. I washed my armpits and wiped them with Listerine before testing it but I have used the concoction for days in a row since then without re-washing and I still smell like nothing but the optional few drops of lavender oil I added to the coconut oil/cornstarch/baking soda mix. BTW, the recipe is simple: everything is a one-to-one ratio. IDK why they say 1/4 cup each of the dry goods and 4 tablespoons of oil when 4 tbs is equivalent to 1/4 cup! 1-to-1 ratios of everything makes it easy to make however much you want at once. Heat the coconut oil first so the powders will mix well before it solidifies. I put my batch in a washed small jar of baby food and labeled it properly so no one would accidentally eat it, ha ha.

I will NEVER buy commercial deodorant again, which has environmentally unfriendly plastic packaging we throw out in addition to being less effective.

on 8/4/2015 1:17:00 PM

I am s h o c k e d this works to well. Seriously.

I went to an outdoor concert, in the summer, it was hot. My deodorant completely failed me, I sat there with my arms glued to my sides. I went on this trusty web-site and after reading the reviews thought I would give this a try. Here's what I do: I wash my armpits with an antiseptic cleanser that you find in the first aid section of Walgreens or whatever. I scrub with a washcloth to get all dead skin cells off. Then right out of the shower while my skin is still damp, I take a cosmetic pad - (the ones used for compacts - cost me about 1.99 for three of them) covered with the magic formula 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 cornstarch and pat not rub onto my arm pits, several times until they were covered with a thick layer. I then walk around brushing my teeth etc. I leave it on there for a few minutes, then I pat (not rub) my arm pits with a dry towel or washcloth over the sink to let any dust fall into the sink. It doesn't look like I have anything on my skin. The first day I secretly smelled myself during the day, nothing, all I could smell was my fabric softener on my cloths. It was amazing. The real test came when I helped my daughter move. I didn't take a shower that morning and I didn't apply this again -- this was on day 2, I was moving heavy stuff in August in 90 degree weather for a few hours.... nothing. I smelled like nothing.... I will update if this starts to irritate my skin as I've read that on other reviews but there might be ways to help that too... unless that happens I am NEVER buying store bought deodorant again.

UPDATE***** I was thinking about this the other day, I had forgotten I reviewed this.. I still do it everyday, actually not everyday, sometimes I forget and it still works.. I have started putting coconut oil on my armpits first just to make the stuff stick better and if there was any irritation I think that would help, the only time I've had irritation is when I just shaved my armpits and I cut myself (a little) or I leave too much on and it gets abrasive but 99% of the time it's awesome.. yes my family or anyone I tell still thinks I'm nuts but it's the best I've ever used so why change?