Alba Botanica Terra Tints - Garnet SPF18

Alba Botanica Terra Tints - Garnet SPF18

3.3

Not tested on animals

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I snatched one of these babies in one of the aisles at Healthy Options wanting an organic lip tint. I got the shade in Garnet and I have to say I loved the shade and the color payoff. It's a deep berry red color that can be intense when you build it up, but not opaque. But what put me off was the texture. I felt it was a tad bit gritty and when I put too much, the consistency became quite cakey which made the color look a bit unnatural on my lips. Moisture you get from this isn't all that great either. It did nothing for my chapped lips. Dr. Bronner's Organic Lip Balm is still my HG lip balm. I'd buy this again for the colour but only for that aspect.

on 6/30/2009 11:24:00 PM

Nothing spectacular or horrifying about this -- OK texture, although not particularly smooth. Color payoff was decent, but didn't love this color and variety of shades is limited.

on 6/30/2009 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

maybe i got a bad one? i am actually considering that and going to take another shot cause the product i got was actually not even ho hum. it was barely there, waxy in a bad way, lumpy even.

After reading good reviews, I ordered this off of vitacost.com for about half the price. I love that it has SPF and some color. The deep berry is a little too dark for me, so I can only dab a bit on. Overall it's not very smooth to apply - but I would buy it again and get it in Bloom.

on 3/14/2009 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product. I ordered it from bytheplanet.com because it was cheaper than anywhere else I'd seen and I was ordering some water-based nail polish anyways, and the price was pretty good ($3.39). When I ordered it, I was a little worried about the color being too dark but had read the MUA reviews and decided to give it a shot. I am thrilled with my purchase--I absolutely LOVE Alba Botanica's Garnet Terratint! The texture is great, the peppermint smell is just right, the color is PERFECT (like lightly wine stained lips--not over the top, not too subtle, not overly shimmery like Burt's Bee's). I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of my all time favorite products because it's good quality, and is easy to apply, and looks fantastic on... not super moisturizing but good for a tinted balm. The tint is a lovely red wine stain color that lasts even after the balm feeling wears off, which I really like. Don't waste money buying a more expensive tinted balm--this one is great, and also has natural products in it + spf 8! :)

on 6/1/2008 9:18:00 PM

Garnet comes in a purple 'chapstick' like container, the product itself looks like it's very dark burgundy/purple but it's very sheer. My lips are a very, very light pink so this just enhances that a bit and makes my lips appear a deeper hue of pink.

It felt really dry the first couple times I put it on but after the top exposed layer of the stick wears away, it glides on very nicely. Having an SPF 18 is a plus!

Sidenote: As with any new cosmetic that you are introducing to your skin/lips/eyes, your lips may react at first, I staggered my usage with that of my regular lip balm until my lips were accustomed to the new ingredients. Now I can wear it anytime.

on 1/23/2008 12:49:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

This is a great lip tint. The color on me is a sheer red/brown. This is perfect for a quick touch up. It has cooling peppermint, which is a little like Burt's Bees but not as strong. I will buy this again, and I'm looking forward to trying other colors. I bought mine from drugstore.com, however I have seen it being sold for slightly cheaper at vitacost.com and a few other websites.

on 9/30/2007 2:02:00 AM

This is one of the new, reformulated Terra Tints. The old Garnet had shimmer and a much thicker consistency. This new version reminds me of the old Bonne Bell Dr. Pepper Lip Smackers, only for grown-ups; it leaves a sheer, brown-red tint on your lips, with no shimmer. The formula is so sheer, in fact, that people with pigmented lips probably won't see any results. I, on the other hand, have very pale lips, and this color is perfect for adding natural, no-makeup color. The balm itself is a little minty and very moisturizing, more waxy than greasy, with the added benefit of SPF 18. All-in-all, a great product for the price--plus, no animal testing or petroleum--and the perfect everyday tinted balm.