MAC Matte2 - Copperplate

MAC Matte2 - Copperplate
MAC - Orb Naked Lunch Copperplate EraDaytime look with CopperplateMAC Copperplate and PrintMAC shadowsMatte2 - Copperplate

4.7

on 6/23/2016 12:30:00 AM

Here's the thing-- when I first got this, I can honestly say I wasn't wow'ed. This isn't a color I look at and get immediately excited about, especially when it sits next to shimmery satins or duochromes. However this is totally my workhorse shade; I absolutely have to appreciate how smooth and blendable the formula is, as well as how versatile the shade is. I hate to say, but I have to disagree a bit with some of the other reviewers--this comes off as being rather cool toned to me.

Since I have a warm skin tone, I generally use it in tandem with other products to emulate an actual shadow. (...because shadows are cool-toned, contrary to what instagram thinks...) For example:
1. To "cool down" eyebrow products that are too orange/red. This helps give a natural shadowed effect of hairs. Once I'm through using it with the elf brow wax (which is too orange for me), I'll be experimenting with this as a brow powder on it's own.
2. For a cool-toned eye look. as a base shade over primer on the whole lid for a first step. I love how this pairs with cool purples & violets.
3. For a warm-toned look, to deepen the shadow going over my lid. As an example, I used Too Faced's Milk Chocolate (from the Chocolate Bar palette) all over the lid, and then blended a bit of this in. It gives a nice shadowed depth because of the cool tone.

I hope to experiment with this more and find even more ways to use this, but even now I get a ton of everyday looks from it!

on 3/28/2016 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I've had this for quite some time and have been using it as a brow powder, since it looks kind of muddy and I didn't think it would do anything for me as an e/s (NC20, med/dark brown hair). After I saw a very pretty look on Pinterest, I used it this morning over a light wash of Naked Lunch. I am delighted with it. Buttery easy application and great wear. In my 50's and preferring this matte finish (atm anyway).

To Read all 203 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/6/2015 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Copperplate and Omega are the first eye shadows that I ever hit pan on.

Copperplate has a place in my heart because it taught me that I could wear a smoky eye. It looks weirdly good paired with Chanel Rouge Ecrin (a blush) on the lid. It also looks so nice as a soft smoky eye.

on 10/16/2015 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Very nice color. Light-medium grey shadow that looks natural, yet sophisticated. This is a great lid color. Smooth application and lasts all day. MAC's mattes are of excellent quality.

on 3/2/2015 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

LOVE LOVE LOVE. This is one of my favorites. It's a medium-dark very warm grey (like a mushroom grey/brown). It makes the most gorgeous smokey eye and crease color. I also use it on my lower lid as a smokey liner and it even works well as a brow color for my ashy brows (Concrete is my brow go-to, but this works well and gives a slightly softer effect). The Matte2 formula is so pigmented and creamy and blendable.

on 1/17/2015 3:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I heard about Copperplate through thekatizzzle on Youtube, and I've been on the hunt for a matte gray for my brows. I have raven black hair, and I'm not the biggest fan of pencils or black/brown shadows for my brows. I like a very natural look. I always thought that Copperplate looked to taupe-like, and just not suitable as a brow color. However, I feel that it transfers as a more medium-toned cool gray. The color in the pan is definitely not as nice as when actually applied. I use Copperplate as sort of a preliminary color for my brows, then I go over the really sparse areas with MAC's Soot shadow. Great combo for those with black hair who don't want a pitch black brow look.

on 7/27/2014 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

EDIT:
Absolute HG! Love affair w this es and I will buy it forever and ever.

On a whim I used this to fill in my brows (which are soft black) and this is a Mecca of everything I've ever looked for-- this looks so natural without making my brows look blacker and harsh. Every brown I've ever tried, no matter how cool still always looked warm and reddish. This looks perfect!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE

This is also amazing for cutting the crease. It's a perfect color for that purpose, smoking out the lower lashline, this pairs well w malt one of my favorite es at the moment.

Cannot stress enough the obsession I have w this right now. I've only had copperplate for like 2 week and it's already showing more wear than shadows I've owned for like 6 months, that says something.

I upped this from 4 star to 5 star bc I'm pretty sure I can't live without this now.

Original review:

Sort of on the boarder of being a "warm gray" or a cool "taupe". Really unique on the lids

The quality is excellent! Buttery and highly pigmented

On my nc15 olivey complexion this is a definite taupey gray with almost purple undertones. I'd give it 5 stars but it's a tad too cool for my complexion and seems to draw attn to purple shadows underneath my eyes that aren't really that visible otherwise.

This does work really great for a day time appropriate effortless smokey eye though. Or just as a basic lid color so that my eyes aren't washed out.

I put I would repurchase bc the quality and uniqueness is definitely on point, and sometimes I really like the contrast of grays against my warm skintone. This may look even better in the fall/winter when my tan fades and my olive skintone is less warm and more neutral.

on 7/12/2014 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is the exact colour I was looking for to create a natural Smokey eye. I have a cool skintone with a yellow undertone and often find I struggle finding Brown shades that compliment my skintone. Copperplate is a taupe/grey/medium brown rolled in to one. I genuinely think that this colour would suit most if not all skintones. The texture is great too. Even though it is a matte finish there's no chalkiness whatsoever. Definitely will repurchase and highly recommend to have in your collection.

on 6/16/2014 12:04:00 PM

This falls into the same category as Woodwinked and soft brown for me. I can use this as a one shawdow color, crease, outer v, lower lash line everywhere but the brow bone. This is a chameleon color, a taupe that will lean more brown or gray depending on your skin tone. Weird when I swatched this on my hand it was more taupey brown. On my lid it's a med matte gray. I love it though to smoke out a day look, use it as a wash on my lid, cut the crease. In other words a verseital day friendly color. No it's not a color you will ooh and ahh over but like soft brown it's a color to have in your pallet to blend out looks with your other brighter/frostier colors I think once you have it in your pallet it will be reached for way more frequently than you think. I see some people use it in their brows and as a couture. Because it's more grey on me I don't see that as working for me but on some I think it's a definite try. I believe NYX may have a close dupe but other than that i don't believe there is one. So this is definitely worth the higher price.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Another daily favorite here!

I have three taupe shades from MAC right now and they're like three best friends: Omega (yellow-based), Haux (pink-based) and this one Copperplate (gray-based). I use these three ALL THE TIME for day makeup. They're all very pigmented, smooth, blendable and matte shades. I like how they're not too dark so that they don't give me racoon eyes on my pale skin.

Copperplate is very good for doing smokey eyes look on fair neutral/warm skin and brown eyes, like me :) I apply this directly over my eyelid on top of primer, then i apply Haux into my crease (I have a thing for cool eyelids and warm crease combination, it takes away the monochrome look). I finish it off with matte black eyeshadow as liner (MUFE No:4, amazing stuff) applied with an angled brush and blended to look smokey, apply mascara and DONE. My everyday look :)

I also use this as eyebrow powder. It looks natural yet dark enough.