MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

4.1

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I just can't get on with Face and Body for the face, as much as I want to. My skin is pretty dry, but even I find it to be too runny and wet looking with little coverage. Its just a bit pointless isn't it? Cheap though.

on 1/29/2019 11:15:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is my favourite foundation! Gives your skin such a beautiful dewy finish. I either use my fingers or my Real Techniques buffing brush to apply. You can easily build it up from light to medium coverage without it looking cakey at all. I set my t-zone with Sephora Microsmooth Baked Foundation Powder (a great dupe for MAC MSF Natural) and this combo is perfection. For reference I am C3 or NC35 in the winter, and C4 or NC 40-42 in the summer.

on 11/19/2018 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I've been using this since July, it's now late November, and this is my new standard light moisturizing foundation. I'd been looking since Estee Lauder d/c Double Wear Light, and reformulated it. I like this way better.

Light coverage. It won't hide the sunspots on my right cheekbone, but it does nicely blur them and somehow makes all red marks, freckles and sunspots blur into the background leaving a nice clean glowy finish that looks like my skin but radiant. No shimmer, just a dewy glowy look.

I have dry sensitive skin, oily T zone, rosacea, redness, sunspots, freckles and I'm NW15 in MAC. In Face and Body, N1 fits me perfectly.

No reactions, no pimples, no white bumps, red bumps or rashes. Just great looking skin that you can't tell I'm wearing any foundation on from morning till night.

It is sheer, but you can build a bit. If I'm really wanting to hide my sunspots on my cheekbone, or a really red spot, I dot a tiny bit of concealer on and tap it in, and set that with a kiss of finishing powder but most days I don't bother. This is my foundation for my no makeup makeup days.

I do set it very very lightly with a large fluffy brush and some translucent finishing powder if I'm using powder blush, but if I'm using Clinique's chubby stick cream blushes (Amp'd up Apple is a favourite) then I leave it dewy and it does just fine.

I love the extra moisture but for anyone with less than dry skin, you might need to set this for sure. For anyone with aging dry skin, it is wonderful. I wear it over top Jose Marans SPF 47 argan sunscreen which is also super moisturizing.

Just a suggestion, MAC will always give a nice sample to try so when you get them to figure out your shade take it home and try it in daylight. Some MAC people are better than others at matching people, others are right out to lunch and way off.

If you are NC or NW 15 or so then try the N1 first. If you are NC NW 20-25 try N2.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Very sheer but somehow I can feel it all day on my face and it stresses me out. I hate feeling it. Gets too shiny

on 5/10/2018 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have mature, dry/combination skin and several lines and furrows. In cool weather I like to use a mineral powder foundation over some serious skincare layering, but find that doesn‘t hold up well throughout the day in summer.

This is where Mac Face and Body comes in. It gives me the light, natural-looking coverage I like and it stays put throughout the working day no matter what I have underneath it: moisturiser / oil, primer / no primer, chemical sunscreen / mineral sunscreen.

It doesn‘t settle into pores (Becca Aqua), slip around or crease (Bourjois Healthy Mix), or leave my face feeling dry (Chanel Perfection Lumière Velvet).

The colour isn’t a perfect match. Good matches for me are Mac Pro Longwear NW15, Chanel BR12, Becca Porcelain, EL Doublewear 1C1. In Mac Face and Body, N1 is the closest but veers yellow. It does even out my skin tone well, and it’s definitely good enough for light coverage in summer, but I‘d like to see a W range alongside N and C.

The consistency took me by surprise when I first tried this foundation: it sets seriously fast. These days I dot it on, spread it rapidly with fingers, and then switch to a buffing brush as soon as it goes tacky. It does buff beautifully well.

There is the niggle over the shade range, but I‘m still giving this five stars overall because at the moment I‘d be stumped to find an alternative that looks and feels so good for so long.

Pros:
- Lovely soft feel once on.
- Stays and stays: unusual bonus in a light-coverage foundation.
- Enhances radiance while still looking natural.
- Bottle is easily transportable.

Cons:
- Application has to be fast.
- No rosy tones.
- Bottle isn‘t pretty.

on 2/15/2018 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Can’t believe I haven’t reviewed this foundation prior to today! I was introduced to MAC F&B by a MAC makeup artist. Had never heard of it, prior to then. I have dry skin, which can be flaky due to Retin A use. In my youth I had a bit of oil in my T Zone, but that is long gone these days. This foundation is amazing! If you are looking for light, dewy coverage that doesn’t cling to dry patches or emphasize pores then this is your product. I now buy on MAC Online as I can get the large bottle which makes this foundation a very good value. Fingers, for me, is the only way to apply this foundation and you need to apply in “zones” on your face. Start in an area such as cheek, apply, rub until you notice the tackiness and then pat into skin until set. Finish each area of face this way until done. On my skin this retains a tacky feeling for a few minutes but then sets down and I have never powdered and get about 8 hours of wear. This can be built up in layers if you desire, but be sure to wait until first layer has set before trying another. If you’re looking for a dewy product that evens out your skin but has a natural skin like finish this is worth a try. I do think due to its ingredients and it’s “film forming” properties that you should absolutely use a good oil based makeup balm or oil, to remove and use your other cleanser after, as a double cleanse. Wears well over sunscreen and moisturizer. The color N1 is good for my cool toned light skin. C1 causes a very green look on my skin, due to yellow undertone of foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Normally I don’t shop at MAC and in fact I have purchased very few MAC products throughout my life mainly because I really dislike the sales people who for the most part I find to be pushy and rude. However all that aside, I started researching Face & Body which seemed to have a lot of qualities I desire in a foundation. So, I ventured into the store, and had a very pleasant SA offer to make me a number of samples in different shades - one to match my current skin tone, and two alternate shades to test out when my tan fades.

F&B is a very liquid (thin as water) consistency. Best method of application is to use your fingers, really working the foundation into the skin until the consistency changes from watery to tacky, kind of like it’s pulling on your skin. Add layers to get your preferred coverage. I’m happy with anything sheer to medium and love the dewy glow this gives my skin. It evens out the tone just enough to let my natural self show through. The most important aspects to me in a foundation are finish, being transfer-proof and shade. This scores high on all three of these. There are a number of shades to choose from and the one I am currently using (C4) is perfect for my summer shade. N3 is a good match for the colder months for me.

The formula contains silicones which is not an issue for my skin but something to be aware of if you can’t tolerate cones. I can wear this all day and it is extremely comfortable on my dry skin, never fading or requiring a touch up. It is easily removed with a cleansing balm.

The packaging could be a little nicer but for the texture, I think this soft squeezy dropper style bottle is probably best. Fingers crossed they won’t disappoint in future as they have in past.

on 8/25/2017 2:43:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I don't get it. This foundation scores really high. I understand that it's a sheer, light foundation and now know that it might be fine for those with perfect skin who don't need to cover anything.

I have dry, mature skin at 61 with some but minimal discoloration. While this didn't dry out my skin further, it covered nothing. Not redness, not Light freckles - nothing. So I guess I don't see the point. I tried to build it up to medium coverage but that didn't happen. I can't really say anything about staying power cause I took it off and put on medium coverage foundation.

Does it look natural? Totally so - for me the same as before I put it on.

Unfortunately, as it did nothing for me, it's going back.

on 5/10/2017 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Where have you been all my life? I wish I hadn't waited so long to try this, because I absolutely love it. After having my son and getting closer to 30, I've seriously learned to appreciate more natural looking base products. My skin is still a little on the oily side, and this wears wonderfully on me. It's light and comfortable, looks like radiant skin, and is easy to apply. I just apply with my fingers and really work it in until I start feeling that "tug". (Application is key with this, IMO. There are lots of Youtube vids) I only set certain areas very lightly with powder and leave the rest of my face alone.

I've been wearing TMs and BBs/CCs for years now because I've learned to hate foundation and this feels exactly like those, only with a cleaner looking finish.

I'm pale, and N1 works well with my skin. It's not ghostly pale, but it gives my skin life without making me look like I'm orange or have the wrong shade.

on 3/14/2017 2:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This foundation has long been on my list to try. I heard about a dewy natural finish and that seemed great.

I am a few months shy of 60, and I have enlarged pores and some sagging. I do not have many wrinkles.

The texture is very thin and it applies very sheerly. For a few moments, the finish is tacky and sticky. This subides. The coverage is virtually non-existent, and if you have things to hide, this won't do it. The finish is not really dewy in the traditional sense, but it is extremely natural. So natural, in fact, that it looks like nothing. You may get a more even looking tone, but in my case, that effect was slight. I have had similar effects from drugstore tinted moisturizers. It is more of a sheer wash of neutral tint than a foundation. I had to layer on MSFN to get more coverage.

Maybe this is just what you are looking for. It does not do much for me, and I doubt that I will repurchase this product. I tried it because it is less money than Clarins Skin Illusion which is my HG. I should know better at my age, but I guess that hope springs eternal.

Update: Never been one to refuse to admit that I am wrong. I am wrong. I've been using this a couple of months now. While it is not Clarins, it is good. I am liking the very natural coverage more and more, and if I need more coverage I add a layer of MAC MSFN. I have gotten many compliments on my skin. I WILL be a repeat buyer.