MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Very Oily
MAC Cosmetics Studio Face and Body Foundation

3.4

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I find that Face and Body almost defies the laws of foundation physics. It's very thin and watery, but sets down to something that requires a proper oil cleanser to get off while still remaining dewy. Putting it on feels odd, and it's definitely best served by using hands to apply. Pour a little bit into your hands (less than you think you need) and rub them together for a few seconds. This will make it a bit tacky and easier to blend when it's on your face. If you skip this step, it'll take ages to blend and won't set properly.

It looks imperceptible on the skin, and I think of it more as a tint than a foundation as it offers almost no coverage, yet changes the colour of your skin. I love it in the summer - I'm religious about sunscreen on my face and chest every day, but the rest of my body develops a light tan. Face and Body does a great job of making me look the same colour all over while staying natural.

A lot of people say F&B isn't great for oily skin, but I disagree. You just can't skip powder. I wear it with a full coverage concealer where I need it, and set with a light dusting of powder. After that, I'm good to go with a few blotting papers for the rest of the day.

The only skins I think this wouldn't suit are dry, flaky ones. Don't be fooled by the watery formula and dewy finish, this is in no way an emollient foundation. During my adjustment period to Retin-A, F&B was the foundation that stuck to my dry patches the most - even more so than my full-coverage, matte foundations. Don't quote me on this, but I suspect this is because part of the setting process involves the water in the formula evaporating, leaving behind only the pigment suspended in silicone. The pigment then clings to every flake, accentuating dryness.

Lastly, F&B is possibly the most cost effective and cleverly packaged foundation I've ever seen. The squeeze tube is perfectly suited to the consistency of the formula inside and, price per ml, this is cheaper than most foundations on the market due to the bottle being 50ml instead of the standard 30ml size. The 120ml bottle is a whopping thing that's lasted me the better part of two years and it's only $10 more expensive than the 50ml bottle. All in all, a wonderful choice if you're looking for a natural looking, no fuss base.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This foundation did not work for me whatsoever. That may be because I'm naturally fugly, but who knows.

The coverage is nearly non-existent. Every red blemish on my face peeked through the sheer tint this gave. I tried a white version of it years later to mix into other foundations and that was pointless due to lack of pigmentation. The finish is oily. I assume if you have dry skin, you may find that to be a big pro. But to my pizzaface it is a red flag to run away. Even accompanied by my most matte setting powder, oil broke through within an hour.

I'm awarding 2 lippies because although this didn't work for me - I like that they had a color match, a white mixer option, and the formula is never cakey.

on 6/7/2014 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I recently decided to change from Studio fix to this as studio fix lately start to make my skin look too yellow. My skin is in NC25 so the MUA recommend I use N1. Its the exact match to my skin. Now my skin look more natural. I do have some acne scars so i use face and body then just use concealer.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

buying this really upset me. the woman at MAC who helped me pick this said it would be okay for oily skin & wouldn't be shiny. I prefer full coverage because I don't have the best skin, & she said this would be okay. I spent all that money on it, & I don't really like it. it doesn't give me nearly enough coverage & I start to look shiny after an hour or two. next time, I'm getting the pro longwear foundation like I had originally planned to. if you have oily skin or need full coverage, this isn't for you.

on 12/2/2013 5:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

this is a marvelous product for dry skins. I wanted to use some light coverage product to use with my oily face and tried this one. It was my mistake, it just slowly slides of from my face after half an hour but I am currently trying to find a primer to use with and a powder to set it. I will update this if I find a match.

on 10/15/2013 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

DESCRIPTION OF ME ~ Light yellowy/olive complexion with a tendency to get redness on my cheeks and around my nose. MAC C2ish/NC20/25. Large pores, oily and prone to blackheads and occasional acne. Some sun damage, (melasma) and fine creases on my forehead.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION~ The party line-->"A comfortable, lightweight fluid foundation with a unique blend of emollients that delivers low-to-medium buildable coverage and a natural satin finish. Moisturizing, long-wearing formula glides onto face and body providing stay-true colour."

PACKAGING~ It's very liquidy so you have to shake it up really well on each use and if you do that with the cap on there is leakage into the cap. Nothing that gets out of the cap, however, but, it is too messy for me so I take the cap off, put my finger over the little hole, and shake it that way.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE~It's thin, with plenty of slip but quickly sets up, much like Estee Lauder Double Wear or Revlon ColorStay. It has NONE of the oil controlling properties of those foundations though so this is were the similarity ends. Just an example of how it sets on its own.

APPLICATION~I put a quarter sized amount in my hands and rub it until it starts to resist, like, it sets up and get stiff, then I apply it with my hands. Very blendable.

FINISH~The finish is satin and hands down, the highest pigmented coupled with most natural foundation I've ever used. Now, there are some that cover more but you will sacrifice natural looking of course. But, if you apply the way I do, it will give you medium coverage and that's something for the natural look you get!

COVERAGE~Light to medium, depending on application.

STAYING POWER~Well, it's slippery XD but it does set nicely. I use powder over it and often also StudioFix powder because I love that polished look and it does require touch ups with powder throughout the day because it isn't oil controlling or anything like that. However, the colour doesn't fade at all. I just use it over a good primer and it works so well on my oily skin. I love it!

SCENT~None.

COLOUR~I use C2 and to me is pretty much C25. I can roll with C20 or 25 usually though so this works quite well for me. I alternate C20 and 25 powder as needed with it.

OVERALL~I cannot believe I'm just reviewing this now! It's been a much loved staple for years now, I adore it. It does slip around as the day wears on, especially in the summer. But, I live in a cool climate so I can generally wear it year round. It's natural looking, gives more coverage than anything this natural looking in any brand including other MAC foundations. This does not cause acne anymore than any other substantial coating I put on my skin. It's a masterpiece in makeup!

Thank you Seclusae2 giving me permission to use your great reviewing format.

on 8/1/2013 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

For reference, I'm an NC35/37 for Mac and I have the Face and Body in C4. I'm Asian, so I definitely love the fact that Mac has their products running on the yellow side too.

I bought this foundation because I was so sick of Revlon Colorstay looking pink on me, seeing how in Singapore there is a limited number of shades. I remember seeing only 4-6 shades when I was checking as many drugstores I can. None of them really had a warm, yellow/olive undertone. They were pretty neutral, but it wasn't a true olive, which is what my skin tone actually is. All my other foundations (MUFE HD, Matt Velvet+, Bobbi Brown, Studio Fix powder etc.) are great, but they're high-end and too expensive for me to use daily.

In addition to a disappointing colour range, I wanted to find something that was cheap and lightweight to be used everyday for school. To add on, I also have extremely oily skin and Singapore's weather is not ideal for anyone with superbly oily skin.

Face and Body is perfect for where I live and anyone with the same skin type as me. It is lightweight, lasts for a pretty decent amount of time, has coverage that is buildable and most of all, you get so much product for such a cheap price. Sold at 63.00SGD/120ml, it's way cheaper than any foundation I have. Not even drugstore ones. Revlon Colorstay is almost half the price of this and comes in the standard 30ml for foundations.

My skin is also acne-prone, on top of being oily. However, this foundation has not broken me out. I do have break outs still, but it's rare for me not to break out so it definitely isn't an issue caused by this foundation.

I like to apply this foundation with my fingers so I can really work it in. Sometimes, I do use my Real Techniques blending brush to apply this foundation. After using my fingers, I usually use my blending brush to make sure there aren't any lines and that everything is even.

This foundation does not have coverage that would satisfy anyone with severe skin problems even though you can build it without feeling like you have 10 pounds of foundation on your face. I would say that unless you have near perfect skin, you would still need to use concealer. Powder is a must unless you have dry skin as this doesn't set matte. It has a dewy, glowy finish that I enjoy but my oily skin tend to skip that dewy stage and go straight to being an oil slick if I don't set it with a powder.

Overall, I enjoy this foundation a lot. It's definitely one of my favourites. Will repurchase.

FOR SINGAPOREANS: This foundation isn't sold in any Mac store. They're only sold at standalone stores so you won't be able to find this at department store counters.

on 1/21/2013 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Cool

As a matter of fact, I can say cystic acne, which is what I walked away with after wearing this product for a few hours. I went to the MAC counter for a BB cream but the SA talked me into this one. I'm N7 with very oily skin, and I do not wear makeup. I thought it would be nice though to wear something light to even out my tone. A few hours later my skin looked as oily as oily can be! All day I kept having to blot, blot, blot. By the end if the day, a painful cystic pimple just above my right jawline. And the search continues....

on 3/10/2012 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

This is very sheer but buildable foundation. It sets as a natural (kinda moist) finish on the skin. For all these reasons I should hate it for my combo and very oily t zone skin type, but I love it. I don't have much skin problems just need some evening out of my skin tone and this leaves the most beautiful finish on my skin. I love the way it looks when it sinks into my skin. I apply with a Real Techniques buffing brush and use my hands afterwards to really blend it in and powder only my T zone with Blot powder. This was a life saver when Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit face wash destroyed my great skin! I was left with severely dry/irritated/flaky red skin, and FB was the only thing that really moisturized my skin. This is definitely a colder weather use for me as it will be not matte enough in Texas summers hence the 4 stars, but I will continue to use it since I've found it's an amazing product to mix with my other heavier cream or foundations bought too dark! And you definitely get more bang for your buck for the massive size that it comes in!

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

I really adore this product. My skin is very oily, prone to acne and I have blackheads all over my face. This product may only offer light coverage, but it really is fantastic. I pair it with the select coverup, and this foundation works amazingly well. My "mask" of foundation truly looks like my skin.