Bobbi Brown Lipstick in Burnt Red

No Image

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

For those who yearn to wear a classic "Hollywood" red lip but pull everything pink, please meet your new lipstick. I am quite pale and most lip colors pull very pink on me. This red is one of those warm/cool straddlers. Today I'm wearing it over a tiny little bit of oil and when first applied it almost looked like it bore gold highlights, much like Chanel's Ecorce de Sanguine in the bottle looks to have gold. It has calmed to an almost blood red; it clearly has enough black to lend it gravitas. It's a swell color.

It's a swell color but this formula is by turns acceptable and appalling. It's not so drying you want to claw your lips off, but it isn't squishy and plush like newer formulas. That's okay; the color is great. It lasts like a non-heroic lipstick does, and that's okay with me, too. What is not okay is the disgusting toilet bowl cleaner fruit smell. People complain about the Estée Lauder fig; I would so much prefer that scent/flavor to this. Leaving it uncapped for a week did nothing. It's not that it lingers during wear - that would be a deal breaker - but it's just such a downmarket smell. I would buy it again.

on 10/19/2015 2:16:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I'm in two minds about this product - it was recommended to me at the Bobbi Brown counter in Liberty, London. The assistant applied it perfectly, a few dabs with a brush in the centre of my lips, then blended out to the sides. The colour is great on my fair skin tone, it brings out my eyes and is not too bright or 'clown-like' (it has a very dark undertone to it). However, I am struggling to apply the lipstick myself with a light touch - it's a fairly thick dry matte formula, which does make a little tricky to work with.
If I can ever master the application, I'll fall i love with it again - until then I'm still on the fence.
I can imagine it would be a great colour on darker skin tones, as applying it straight from the tube is easy thanks to it's contoured tip.

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is an excellent red for anyone who struggles with a blue based red. Most red lipsticks look hideously garish on me and I was on the point of giving up my quest for a flattering red lipstick when I chanced on this. The colour is beautiful on my pale skintone, NOT garish, and the lipstick does last very well, and is neither too drying nor to shiny. It's one of the few really good Bobbi Brown product that I've used, but having said that, NARS does much better liptsticks in this colour range.

on 5/14/2015 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is beautiful, and multipurpose. If you're ever looking for a red lipstick that has a brown undertone instead of the usual purple, pink or orange undertone, you've found the jackpot.

I use dap it lightly on my lip after prepping with some lip balm and it just makes my lips look a little healthier and the colour stains and stays throughout the day. If i need it for a formal occasion it is absolutely beautiful on any skin tone, very elegant, very pigmented and not overpowering.

Texture wise, it can get a little bit drying but if when i just lightly dap it for my daily use it doesn't dry out my lip.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is a very elegant deep rose color. It's much too dark to swipe on with my fair skin, but dabbing it on and blending out makes the perfect stain. It's matte but not too drying and lasts a long time, even though it doesn't hold up well to meals.

on 11/5/2014 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A. TEXTURE:
Just like M.A.C matte lipstick, this deserves to be tossed out of the window. It should be titled "Dehydrating Lipstick". My lips are chapped like crazy. That being said, the coverage is forever.

B. COLOR:
On my East Asian skin color (rather pinkish), it was not a good decision to purchase it. I look like a body with a pair of lips, because the color is ultra heavy for my skin tone. It is more suited to warmer skin tone and darker skin.

C. Other Uses:
I wear this lipstick heavily, blot it multiple times, and make it a base color for my lips. Then, I put other lipstick on top of it, so when the color of the other lipstick goes away, there is still a stain of this burnt red.

on 4/3/2012 7:26:00 PM

When Bobbi Brown first came out, this is one of the first lipsticks I invested in & wore when I wanted a more dramatic look. Now I look back at pictures & can't believe I ever wore it - talk about unflattering! I can't imagine that this orangey red would look good on anyone but those with the darkest of skintones.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Beautiful red color with slight berry tones. Nice creamy formula. Color can be more red or brown/red depending on the liner you use. Makes teeth look whiter too. I'm Asian w/yellow undertones, NC30.

on 11/18/2011 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Burnt Red = sophisticated red. Not "I'm trying to imitate Maryilyn Monroe red" or "I'm showing you my vixen side red (never works) or the worst "I think I can pull off looking like Grace Kelly red." Burnt red is an urban red, "museums, art galleries and downtown cafes are my habitues, I wear undiscovered designers and custom perfume.
I am deeply complicated but amusing and captivating red and you don't stand a chance of being able to look away." For $23!

on 12/13/2011 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Since trying Revlon's Rum Raisin and getting a compliment from an employee at Sephora, I allowed her to try other colors that I didn't expect to work for me, trying Burnt Red was an amazing epiphany. I had been trying to find a dupe of my HG lippie that I purchased in France in 1998. I couldn't replace the tube because by the time I tried they d/c'd the color. So now, 15 years later, I have found an awesome replacement. It's really a warmish red - a slightly bright brick red - and I can't wait to start wearing it - perfect for the fall!! Bobbi Brown lippies are way over priced and I usually go with MAC because I just love MAC, but this color is so original that it was worth the splurge!